Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Favorite albums by decades

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite albums by decades
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-26-2004 04:49 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Post 5 for each era, use allmusic.com for the images.

I got fancy and made an image since this message board is gay and only lets you post 8 images per post. Bah!

Also try and guess some of my choices for fun.

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 02-26-2004 05:27 PM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whats with the lack of:

?

--------------------

It's a crazy world. Someone oughta sell tickets.

Posts: 1601 | From: that warm little part of your heart | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-26-2004 07:13 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The 90's was the hardest part for me.

I wanted to stick Endtroducing in there but could not find a spot! It is one of my favorite albums ever, Changeling is such a badass track.

Im not real big on Hendrix or Nirvana but I do like that Nirvana album regardless.

Ok, I changed the original some. Added Gary Numan, Future Sound of London, Brian Eno, and changed the Floyd Album.

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 02-26-2004 09:40 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally I dont really have favorites per se. I just like a lot of music and one album at the moment may be a fave.

Some of the top are:
Foo Fighters - The Color and the Shape
Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
Blue Rodeo as a whole.
Plenty of Pink Floyd for the 70's and 80's including a Collection of Great Dance Songs, The Final Cut and The Wall. Wish You Were Here was good too.
In Through the Out Door was good at the time and may still be my favorite Zep album.

You would have to include the first 2 Beatles greatest hits collections in there as well.

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Druidae
Sarge
Member # 1380

Member Rated:

posted 02-26-2004 10:06 PM     Profile for Druidae   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what about
The Doors,
The Grateful Dead,
Sublime,
Tool,
Pearl Jam,
just to name a few

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: Druidae ]

Posts: 746 | From: Hell | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-26-2004 10:27 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Druidae:
what about
The Doors,
The Grateful Dead,
Sublime,
Tool,
Pearl Jam,
just to name a few

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: Druidae ]

Not a big fan of the Doors, they always kinda struck me as "meh"

Samething with the Grateful Dead, just couldn't get into them.

I hate sublime.

Tool is pretty good but since its just 5 albums they got bumped off the 90's.

Pearl Jam sucks in my opinion, I hate Eddie Veder with a firey passion.

Its really hard to just squeeze in 5 albums for a whole decade. You guys should try it!

MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 02-26-2004 11:29 PM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I hate sublime.

thats too bad, we had a good thing going for a while.. and to think i was just about to suggest 40oz to freedom

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: MadHatter ]

--------------------

Posts: 1601 | From: that warm little part of your heart | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-26-2004 11:42 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter:
thats too bad, we had a good thing going for a while.. and to think i was just about to suggest 40oz to freedom

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: MadHatter ]

I acutally own that cd

Druidae
Sarge
Member # 1380

Member Rated:

posted 02-27-2004 04:10 AM     Profile for Druidae   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you've got shitty taste in music if you can't see how musically talented those people are

it doesn't matter if you don't like them, if you can see they're talented...its not the quantity of music its the quality

and those were just a few good musicians in my opinion...but that's what music is, personal taste, its a completely biased taste

Posts: 746 | From: Hell | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 02-27-2004 08:21 AM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well i got my 90s done.. it took a while, but i got it.. now i gotta work on the 80s.

it is hard to make a list.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-27-2004 08:33 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Druidae:
you've got shitty taste in music if you can't see how musically talented those people are

it doesn't matter if you don't like them, if you can see they're talented...its not the quantity of music its the quality

and those were just a few good musicians in my opinion...but that's what music is, personal taste, its a completely biased taste

Music is subjective, true. So, since I don't like Sublime or Pearl Jam much doesn't mean I have shitty taste in music. el oh el ^______^ stop condtradicting yourself. I was just listing why those bands didn't make my list, not because I think they are all horrible bands.

Edit - This isn't a "My Band X is Better than your Band Z" type of dealie. Just pick 5 different albums from the different decades, not hard to do!

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-27-2004 09:13 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate the Doors, who I think is one of the most overated bands ever. Jim Morrison was a moron.

I hate the Grateful Dead too.

Sublime - I like one or two songs and consider them average.

Tool - I like quite a bit.

Pearl Jam - I like one or two songs but Eddie Vedder is a dork.

Of course that's just my opinion and I'm aware many people love the bands I don't just as I like bands that others hate.

Ok back to my list...

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-27-2004 01:31 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How come no Weird Al guys? Alapalooza was the best album EVER!!!.

No Twisted Sister or Cinderella, or Poison? No Ratt? NO GUNS AND ROSES!!!!???? WTF, philistines!!

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
TraCerr
Sarge
Member # 3048

Rate Member

posted 02-29-2004 04:06 PM     Profile for TraCerr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was hard. I had way too many choices.

[ 02-29-2004: Message edited by: TraCerr ]

Posts: 200 | From: Dead Deer, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-29-2004 05:42 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

The 90's was the hardest for me. So many great ones I had to leave out.

Nice list Trace...

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-29-2004 07:53 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tracer ~ I love Psalm 69, Ministry's finest album in my opinion. Good list!

Cac ~ Love your list as well, the stooges rock!

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-29-2004 10:48 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Xan - I did notice you had the Stooges and Faith No More in your picks too before I did mine but the Ziggy Stardust was a coincendence.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-29-2004 11:10 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:
but the Ziggy Stardust was a coincendence.

Bowie rocks, also good pick on the Floyd album. I was tempted to stick in Dark Side of the Moon but Animals is still my all time favorite, I don't think people understand how good that album is.

[ 02-29-2004: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

anuj
Sarge
Member # 3067

Rate Member

posted 03-01-2004 12:52 AM     Profile for anuj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
meddle and animals, yessssss.

putting mine together in a bit

no zappa anywhere?

~A

--------------------

why the hell not, eh? :-D

Posts: 38 | From: bay area, ca, us | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2004 07:20 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Xan - I just realized that Animals was a coincendence too.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-01-2004 08:23 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anuj:
meddle and animals, yessssss.

putting mine together in a bit

no zappa anywhere?

~A

I had a Zappa album for the 60's, I had We're Only in It for the Money.

Cac ~

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2004 08:59 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"This monkies gone to heaven" I love that Pixies Album.

The Boards of Canada are great too.

I really would have liked to include some Skinny Puppy as well. That's probably my favorite one.

Radiohead, Beasties, too. Plus some you don't have listed.

I listed The Archies as a joke btw. I was having a bit of trouble with the 60's.

Also who are the 4th ones for the 60's & 90's?

--------------------

anuj
Sarge
Member # 3067

Rate Member

posted 03-01-2004 03:14 PM     Profile for anuj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
xan~ d'oh, that's what a flu'll do to you.

~A

--------------------

why the hell not, eh? :-D

Posts: 38 | From: bay area, ca, us | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-03-2004 07:49 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:
Also who are the 4th ones for the 60's & 90's?

The 4th one for the 60's is Frank Zappa's - We're only in it for the money, and the fourth one in the 90's is Future Sound of London - Life Forms

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-03-2004 09:35 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, after getting over my fit of righteous indignation at the lack of any big hair rock I settled down and tried to do this. The problem for me is, that while I like a lot of individual songs, I'm not really an album person. The 90s were ridiculously easy and so were the 80s but 60s and were just impossible, so I didn't include them, even though I like a lot of music out of that era Allmusic.com also didn't have the cover art for John Lee Hooker's greatest hits but it's in my 70s list.

[ 03-03-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-03-2004 10:01 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aw ~ I love garbages 2.0 ^___^

And that Crystal Method album is good too!

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com