Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » w00t!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: w00t!!
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-16-2002 10:07 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First Quake 2 match in 3 years and I'm already kicking ass

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-19-2002 02:58 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man, such a long time since I played Q2. Damn that screenie brings back memories.
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2002 04:33 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just found my Q2 CD, this morning. I'm going to install Q2 again.
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2002 05:29 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe I should install it again too, just to see what it's like on a GeForce4
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-21-2002 12:31 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn I just upgraded to an GF3ti200 128 Mb card and was feeling all warm and fuzzy.
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 06-21-2002 06:18 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voodoo2 power

Just once I'd like to come to this board and boast about my new video card

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-24-2002 04:52 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remeber the revelation of starting quake2 and really enjoying the full effect of Voodoo2 acceleration?

Quake2, Mech Warrior2,Battle Zone and Descent2... I miss my Voodoo2.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 06-24-2002 04:54 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think at around that time,
i purchased the riva tnt =)
it was a 16mb pci heh, i thought it was teh shit . . but i don't miss it at all

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-24-2002 06:40 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember first not having a 3D card at all, then having an i740, the card that NEVER lived up to it's potential, then I got an ATI Xpert98 (3D Rage Pro Turbo) AGP w/ 8MB. I still remember lusting after the Hercules Voodoo2 2d/3d card. One of the first of it's kind.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Ser
Sarge
Member # 2204

Rate Member

posted 06-25-2002 01:17 PM     Profile for Ser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, I got a Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo 1) card for Xmas at the same time that Q2 came out. I was simply blown away by the graphics

All my friends were jealous...

Ahh.... good times...

Posts: 36 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 06-26-2002 06:04 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I bought my Monster right after Q2 was released too. Just got the urge one night to catch a bus across the city (edmonton) to go buy one at Future Shop. THAT was the longest bus ride home in my life. It was the longest "first boot" follwing an upgrade and it sure as hell was the most awesome and satisfying experience I have ever had when it comes to gaming. Things have made me say "holy shit!" etc...but that feeling...wow Then when the VooDoo2 came out, I got that...then I realized my Matrox wasn't cutting it so I bought a TNT as well...must say, back then $400 in such a short time for videocards was like....unheard of
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 06-28-2002 12:16 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid ur upgrade in vid cards is almost the same as mine. I started with
S3-4meg card
I740 next
Voodoo3 after that
Voodoo5
Geforce3-Ti200 now
:P I must say though the Voodoo5 is still performing good in everygame that has come out so far on the P3-733 i have downstairs.. Even runs morrowind at 15-20 fps. (Intown that is)

Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 06-28-2002 12:18 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PS.
Forgot before the Voodoo3 i have a ATI-Rage Pro 8meg vid card. : P

Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 06-28-2002 02:27 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My video cards:
S3 Verge 4MB
Diamond Monster 3d
Asus TNT2
Asus GF2

next one will be a GF4 Ti4600

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-29-2002 01:14 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh

TK I remember you getting that S3 card. Remember running those CPS tests in Terminate? I also remember the games of Duke we'd play. You were kicking my ass back then.

My upgrade path Sinister? Okay, here it goes

Trident 512K 256 color card (came w/ 486)
Cirrus Logic AVGA3 1MB Card (ISA and one of the first cards to do 16million colours)
Trident 2MB PCI accelerator
Diamond Monster3D (TheKiller's)
Asus v6800 Deluxe Geforce 256 DDR.

I'm planning on building a new system when I get the money. Got my sights set on either a GF4 Ti4600HD (128MB vs 64) the new Matrox card, or whatever ATi puts out (if the drivers are good)

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 06-29-2002 04:45 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i read a review at www.tomshardware.com
saying that the new matrox doesn't show much promise

i think personally, that the ati 8500 is pretty good for its price, its really competitive vs the gf3 ti500 and its good for a 120 bucks. but still nothing can touch the gf4's . . those are sick!!!

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 06-29-2002 04:50 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i can't find the actual article, but it was the matrox parhelia?? something like that, and well, they kinda clowned on the product. . .but hey, if you have 3 monitors, it'd be a cool investment.

i personally don't want a gf4 right now. i think the gf3 can handle everything that's out right now. and since doom 3 is coming out soon, i want the vcard that kix the most ass for that game. and in my opinion, by then, it'd prolly be something beyond the gf4. or if anything else, by the time DOom3 comes out, some other vcard will almost be out atleast.

i also read some review about agp 3.0 comin out soon. and nvidia is all over the 8x agp for their next vcards. that's kinda cool news. I dont' really understand it all but hey, technology is cool.

any of you all like to drink hg800 40's?? that's some good shit

--------------------

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 06-29-2002 10:33 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh shut up you guys....

<-- still stuck on a Riva TnT 16Mb card...

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 06-29-2002 10:41 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The GF3 shoudl be able to run Doom3 fine... since when the GF3 came out and ID announced doom3 they were all about the GF3.. from what I gathered... As for new vid cards I think the Performance difference between the GF3 and GF4 would be minimal in most systems.. unless u got a powerhouse like a 2.4 ghz . On Nvidias site i did there performance analyzer test and there was only a 25% increase in performance if i went from a GF3-TI200 to the top GF4... IMO that isn't much for a upgrade as compared to like 150% from my Voodoo5 to GF3 .. so im going to wait till the vid cards drop or new ones come out before I buy ne thing new. As for matrox? When did they start making 3d Accels?
hehe

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-30-2002 02:56 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, the new ATi chip is pretty promising. It has I think double the texture pipelines the 8500 had, which makes it something like triple the number of a GF4. If the drivers are there, I'm going back to ATi. I'll wait for the Tom's Hardware and Anandtech torture tests first though.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 06-30-2002 12:45 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never dealt with ATI to much... but it seems most games are tailored for Nvidias chipsets... I maybe wrong but oh well. Ill stick with Nvidia for now since whatever ATI comes out with Nvidia will be around the corner.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-30-2002 02:54 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I don't know about being tailored. ATi has always had better technology. Hell the Radeon 8500 is simply better hardware than a GF3, but it's the drivers that make the difference, and nVidia has the BEST drivers. ATi has always been lacking in that side of the developement. If ATi gets it together, nVidia wouldn't stand a chance unless they drastically revamped their hardware (adding more pipelines, for one). It's the drivers that have always made the difference, poor quality drivers can spell disaster for even the best hardware, that's why ATi hasn't really been a force in the market of late.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 07-02-2002 12:49 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there both good. Lets leave it at that .

"Can't wait to get me a P4-Celeron baby"

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 07-02-2002 12:59 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since you are speaking about the Parhelia I will put my 2 cents in it also..

I'm running a Matrox G400 max dual monitor (2 X 17 inches)

Just to work and browse with that is simply amazing. Once you have started working with 2 monitors you can't go back to one after that.

The benchmarks of the new Parhelia from Matrox are really disapointing (even for me, who is a matrox fan) but better drivers will solve a lot of problems and the best features of the card is the "surround gaming" wich is 3 monitors connected on the computer and yes you can Quake with that. I've seen the demo in action and it's simply blowing away everything I've seen. And of course the reviews of the surroung gaming so far are all giving it high praise. But if you are looking for the best frame rate.. go with a GeForce 4 TI

Image quality = matrox

I'm not looking after the best frame rate but the best image quality I can get.. and with the anti aliasing 16x on the Parhelia there is nothing who can be more beautiful than that.

My personnal opinion of course and a biase one since I've sold my soul to matrox a long time ago..

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

Posts: 514 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragoon
Visor
Member # 2822

Rate Member

posted 07-03-2002 02:28 AM     Profile for dragoon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
no fair! i have nothing on my computer! i want to play q3 so bad on mine! i have to use my friends to play it,, but im still good,,,,,i think.

--------------------

dragoon

Posts: 6 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com