Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » MS new marketing tactics.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MS new marketing tactics.
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 10-31-2001 04:09 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What do you guys think? Online registrations for OSs and soon the .net thingie, where you purchase the license for MS software online too.

Oh and don't get me started with the MS passport, they are practically forcing it down everyones throat. Do you want to store contact information (and more if you choose so) in a database that is easy to hack? (according to those that are into hacking ofcourse).

Any thoughts???

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 10-31-2001 06:01 AM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What is .net, anyway? My friend passed me a MSNM that is for .net and it's very very colourful and cheerful. So now my MSNM is very very colourful and cheerful. And the emoticons are strange and tooo big. Though there are some cute ones.

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 10-31-2001 07:31 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I didn't get it totaly wrong it's like this:

The .net is a scheme where MS will licence software like word, excel, address books and everything online. Not quite sure how it's going to work, is it periodical payments or are you going to pay for the time you use a product?? Sounds quite terrible either way.

The pretty colors are there to confuse the average Joe to thinking this is infact a good thing.

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 11-03-2001 04:50 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well...people do not want a monthly tab for every little fucking thing in their lives, so I guarantee people are not gonna pay a monthly fee to use a word processor or spreadsheet, let alone an operating system. If they do go through with the subscription business model, expect to see an exodus to alternative operating systems.
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2001 03:58 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I sure hope that they realise it at MS. Linux for example does everything I need done with a computer, a part from running games of course...
Ser
Sarge
Member # 2204

Rate Member

posted 11-06-2001 02:21 PM     Profile for Ser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Microsoft .NET is an XML Web services platform that will enable developers to create programs that transcend device boundaries and fully harness the connectivity of the Internet.

.net has nothing to do with licensing of products... it's a development platform.

I'm not saying that MS isn't looking to implement the afore-mentioned licensing, but .net is a completely different thing...

Posts: 36 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 11-06-2001 05:06 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still think that thats what it means, for the consumer.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com