Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Anyone heard of this game?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone heard of this game?
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-25-2001 09:19 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So much for -------, but have you heard about ------, the stonksome new release from ----- scheduled for release in the latter half of -----? The company’s keeping it all pretty much under wraps (understandably) but ----- (programmer/developer at -----) maintains (allegedly) that “The next game is going to blow -----all to hell. ----- totally sucks in comparison to our next game… ------! The fight for justice! ------ is going to be a bigger step over ----- than ----- was over -----!”

That aside, initial murmurs suggest that ------ is indeed going to blow the lid off anything and everything due for release over the next 12 months and will be a quantum leap over the original -----. For starters, it’s going to use a completely new engine (it will use none of the code from -----) and it will be in be in true high-res 3D (i.e. not faked -----) with characters made up from texture-mapped polygons that have real depth (a bit like the characters in Virtua Fighter – but better!)

It’s also going to have a much more intricate player environment that will be totally externally programmable (using a planar surface as opposed to lines and triggers) and will be extremely modular – “-----was just the tip of the iceberg.” You will be able to look up and down, leap, and crawl. There’s gonna be real physics in the game too – yep, we’re talking gravity, “down is down” (characters will tumble when they fall from height and can be knocked flat on their back from a heavy blow) and there will almost definitely be a multi-player link-up as well as a VR tie-in with a major manufacturer (there’s even talk of a special bundle).

To make sure it’s entirely how they want it the guys at ----- are doing it all themselves – even the sound code. “Sound is a major integral part of the ------ design, and yes, you will be able to wear a headphone/microphone unit and speak to each other (using a VR headset]. You will be “speaking into” the game world, so the closer you are to someone, the louder your voice is – and the monsters have ears too!”

And the plot? Well, let’s just say it’s set in a fantasy world were the player becomes a Thor-like character who wields a giant hammer. He can use his tool to throw at or bludgeon anything and everything (NICE!) Other differences? Well, sources reveal that as far as ------ is concerned, it’s going to be more of a “total D&D fantasy adventure” than a stomp about and shoot, and there’s even talk of an experience point system (a la D&D) for killing monsters, reaching new levels, etc., though fear not action lovers, it also promises “total action”, and there might even be a few dragons in there somewhere.

So what kind of machine will you need to run this action-fest spectacular? Well, nothing too far fetched by today’s standards: ----- maintains that “------ will run well on -----, but a ----- recommended.” There’s also talk in the US of a 24-hour fest that users will be able to plug into and play to their hearts content, though this is said to be “at least a couple of years away”. The game will be very much a multi-player experience, however, and there will be some sort of ------ start-up package for those who want to buy a ------ server As for speed, they won’t know how it runs until they’ve sorted out the code, but it will be in a higher resolution than -----.

All this, of course, is just pure hearsay, but so what! Headsets, dragons, hammers and real time physics? Can’t wait!

And yes, the ---- is the name of the game, but I just want to see if anyone can get it

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 12:19 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmm. . . a new Baldur's Gate perhaps?

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-26-2001 01:48 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope, not Baldur's Gate...
Not even close

Surely someone can get it!

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-26-2001 01:52 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll give you guys a hint... it's a first person shooter.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 02:07 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Might and Magic: Legends?
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 07:51 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You do realize that this is going to drive me completely bananas, untill you revela the answer.

And no I'm not keeping up with gaming news.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-26-2001 08:34 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agh it's probably driving me more insane that it is you!

More hints more hints... lessee...

You wouldn't have had to keep up with gaming news lately; if you haven't heard of this game you would have had to have your head in the sand for the last seven years.

Now that's a hint if I ever saw one...

watchdog
Sarge
Member # 88

Rate Member

posted 05-26-2001 11:28 AM     Profile for watchdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Daikatana 2! This time, John Romero is _really_ gonna make you his bitch.

--------------------

Posts: 92 | From: Hicksville, TN USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 12:06 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The words "Max Payne" come to mind based on the seven years remark.
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 03:45 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I WAS going to say DNF but we all know that's still another seven years to go. . .

Hexen 3?

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 06:14 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.planetquake.com/features/articles/classicpq/hype2.shtml

ZOINK!

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 06:17 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's gotta be Quake

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 07:45 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't suppose it's Monkey Island 5, is it?

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-26-2001 10:10 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Killer's got it

Yeo - it was Quake (1!) I found a PC Zone gaming magazine from 1994 on my bookshelf the other day and I was looking through it and found that- one of the first articles about Quake!

Also in the magazine they have reviews and articles of of Magic Carpet, Transport Tycoon, Little Big Adventure (remember that? Go Twinsen!!), Full Throttle, System Shock, Doom II (just released at the time) and an article on whether CD ROM games are better than floppy disk ones

And 'breaking news' about Doom! The Movie!

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 05-27-2001 02:00 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redlemons:
And 'breaking news' about Doom! The Movie!

rofl with Arnold Shwarznegger as Doom :P

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-27-2001 02:58 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I shoulda known!! See the tip off should have been the Virtua Fighter reference. . .

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-27-2001 05:38 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Interesting to see how many things actually made it and became such an important part of gaming (like the frag-fests they mentioned which would be "a couple of years away"). No way they could have known how popular that would become!

And, of course, the giant hammer became the infamous axe, and 'Thor' became 'Quake-guy'!!

Lol Pars Yep-- Swartzenegger was gunna play the Doom marine! Hehehe... this was at the height of 'True Lies' fame, by the way.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-27-2001 10:25 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let's see, if I remember my Id FPS timeline correctly. . . quake-guy would be. . .

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com