Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Erased Files...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Erased Files...
AnArKi
Sarge
Member # 2298

Member Rated:

posted 04-20-2001 11:19 AM     Profile for AnArKi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After you empty your recycle bin, how do you recover them. Don't give me that "you can't get them back" crap, I've seen it done before.

--------------------

"I think therefore I am, I think."

Posts: 85 | From: Outer space | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 04-20-2001 01:21 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
go get a program

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 04-20-2001 02:17 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well my friend, think of it this way:

if you get a program, install a program, have a dynamically sized swap file, surf the net etc...anything that writes to the hard drive, you are already screwed. Unless you already have something like Norton Undelete installed. You may be able to retrieve chunks of the file(s) but unless they were located at the end of the drive/partition and you have a relatively fair bit of free space where the sectors have not yet been sequentially overwritten (your hard drive naturally will write from beginning to end of the partition...but not necessarily consecutively...but it likes to fill up sectors near the front first...even though FAT/FAT32 suck at being efficient at it), you are screwed. If you can make out what I said, great. If not: even installing a program to retrieve those files runs the risk of wiping them out...as does pretty much doing anything on your computer that utilizes he swap file (if dynamic), extracts temp files or even Internet Explorer with temporary internet files.

There, you told us not to give you that crap, so instead I just came out and told you like it is. Like it or not.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 04-20-2001 04:17 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmm...
to explain a bit:
What I understand is that basically what happens when you delete a file is that windows writes a 0 before it so it cannot be seen, and can be overwritten. If you use your computer, files are gonna be created, space is needed, so the 'deleted' files are then overwritten.

If you can find some way of getting to these files, changing the name, and claiming them back, do so.

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 04-20-2001 08:46 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My grandpa knows howto pull deleted files off of a harddrive by hand with a hex editor

Technically, to really, really erase something you need to write over the sector it was stored in atleast 7 times with random numbers. If it's really essential data, you can send it into one of those data recover shops. They can look at the physical state of the harddrive, and usually pull it out .

There are programs to do it too, unless you've allready written over the spot where it was physically (some of those data recovery guys can pull things that have been written once or twice over by looking at the magnetic state of the molecules or something. I've heard of it being done before).

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 04-21-2001 02:55 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes...but that equate big $$$ to take it to a data recovery shop.
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 04-21-2001 04:07 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I only know how to erase files.

Scoob~ Evidence Eliminator 5.0 which has a crack writes over stuff 9 times and even does something to eliminate magnetic recovery. I think it writes under and over files. What I notice which is cool about it is that it speeds up an older puter.

Man I love free stuff!

(I will look into the data recovery thing and get back to you if I find anything)

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: Cyborg6 ]

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 04-22-2001 02:30 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What Scooby said, in fact, what Cy said too.
There are programs available that can recouver lost information. The FBI Computer Crimes division and the NSA and CIA use them all the time. That's why I usually resort to physically damaging the drive so that it's completely inoperable when I think that the fed's is on to me. Usually I use heat to warp the drive plates which at the same time destroys that magnetic sectors. Try recouvering that biatch.

'Cept I think I remember listing deleted files with the 'DIR' command in DOS then changing the file name, can't remember how I did it though.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 04-22-2001 11:58 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That reminds me of a story I heard, about a guy who was about to get busted for something or other, and he knew they could get some evidence from his cell-phone, so he broke it open, took out the chip they would have gotten evidence from, and ate it

Personally, I favor building a giant electromagnet into my doorway (ala Ordo Corp. from Cryptonomicon), so good luck if they try and take my computer out

Muahahahahahahahaha
*saw*
*parants yell*
*oops*

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 04-23-2001 04:04 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyborg6:
I only know how to erase files.

Scoob~ Evidence Eliminator 5.0 which has a crack writes over stuff 9 times and even does something to eliminate magnetic recovery. I think it writes under and over files. What I notice which is cool about it is that it speeds up an older puter.

Man I love free stuff!

(I will look into the data recovery thing and get back to you if I find anything)

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: Cyborg6 ]

You forgot to mention that it accidentally wiped your harddrive, Cy~

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com