Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » New Twist On Video Games and Violence

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Twist On Video Games and Violence
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-29-2001 09:39 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting article on Slashdot Her is an excerpt...

quote:
After Columbine, many Americans blamed the Net for the massacre. "Are videogames turning your kids into killers?" asked the cover of one newsmagazine. Last friday, U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft said video games contribute to an "ethic of violence." The truth is, many more kids kill themselves then others, often because of bullying, a subject about which Ashcroft had nothing to say. The question really is whether vicious kids and hostile school environments are turning kids into killers. It's a question neither politicians nor the media seem to want to ask.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
KRUSTYY
Sarge
Member # 2186

Rate Member

posted 03-29-2001 11:54 PM     Profile for KRUSTYY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I gotta laugh at the banner!
Posts: 97 | From: N.Y.C. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 03-30-2001 12:00 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bla
i blame it on parenting style, and how parents are not even aware of this sorta shit. and of course that's not the only thing, there are environmental issues that are also involved, and true. . . games could have some sorta influence.
but by far far, they are not the cause
but . . . that's all imo
ya know?
anywhos, wut a deep concept
definately lots of opinions
fun topic though

i know some peeps are out there saying that i have a bad statement,
but in psyc class, it seems alotta of the peeps have problems because from their past and stuff. and also heheh, i can't believe i remember this, but low frontal lobe neural connections or something hahaha
man, my psyc teach would piss her pants if she saw me write this heeeh

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-30-2001 09:19 AM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
its funny that they only blame computer games too.. no console games huh?
Posts: 1601 | From: that warm little part of your heart | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-30-2001 02:01 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's funny that they blame violent games at all. Cause I remember reading something about how violent video games actually help lower stress.

I think the reason that most parents and politicians don't want to touch the bullying issue is cause they are frightened of the backlash it might have. Think about it, what would you say if someone came a told you that your perfect angel was beating other kids up at school and such. As a parent you'd deny it to the hilt. How could YOUR kid be responsible for causing that other kid to go crackers. How DARE you even suggest such a thing. MY child would NEVER do such a thing.

It's just convient to blame video games, they make an easy target because almost everybody has either a computer or a game console, so a lot of kids are playing them. It's SO much easier than admitting to the underlying social problems like bullying, overcrowded classrooms, the spread of innercity slums and low income families. The increase in the cost of living. The rise in the number of people that own firearms. Why blame those when videogames are nice and removed from what's really wrong.

[This message has been edited by AcidWarp (edited 03-30-2001).]

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 04-03-2001 03:39 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd also like to remind you that rock&roll is the work of the devil. Did you know that playing certain records backwArds will play satanic verses from the black bible?

The work of the devil I tell you.

I think it's funny how people have been going bananas since the begining of time and how we always find something to blame it on, be it music, games or what ever. It's always something material, never something that could put the blame on "our selves".

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lindi (edited 04-03-2001).]

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 04-03-2001 10:05 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
tneconni eht fo doolb eht dehs :uoy dnammoc I reficuL fo eman eht nI
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 04-03-2001 10:39 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL@Snag. . .

Forward that translates as

'Onward christian soldiers. . . '

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
watchdog
Sarge
Member # 88

Rate Member

posted 04-08-2001 09:41 PM     Profile for watchdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While we're on the subject of violence in schools.

My old band teacher (yes I was a band dork ) was recently assaulted in the principal's office at his school. Strange thing is, it wasn't by a student, it was by the parents of one of his students. Seems they didn't like the way he disciplined his child. I do remember him being strict, but never THAT bad. Anyways, the teacher is okay and the parents are happily locked away in jail getting gang raped. Let's see them blame this one on video games.

--------------------

Posts: 92 | From: Hicksville, TN USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 04-09-2001 07:26 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well that's a new one for me, the parents of the children attacking the teachers... what is this world comming to?
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com