next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Why Napster is obsolite

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Napster is obsolite
AnArKi
Sarge
Member # 2298

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2001 06:46 PM     Profile for AnArKi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Reason 1: CDs can easily be "Downloaded" into your jaket pocket, while
your friend distracts the cashier at your local music store. You may
ask, "Keith, Isn't that stealing?" and to that I say, "No, It's called
"FILE SHARING".

Reason 2: Scientists have already created a divice that can transform
sound into air waves, that can be recieved by divices that can be placed
anywhere in your home, and even on the dashboard of your CAR! This
revolutionary divice has actualy been aroun for a REALY long time. It's
called a freakin' RADIO!!!

Reason 3: You can tape music off the radio!

Reason 4: mp3s are a big waste of space on your computer!

MORE ARE TO COME, AND FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN!

------------------

"Is it just me, or does it smell like teen spirit in here?"

Posts: 85 | From: Outer space | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2001 07:24 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Reason 1: CDs can easily be "Downloaded" into your jaket pocket, while your friend distracts the cashier at your local music store. You may ask, "Keith, Isn't that stealing?" and to that I say, "No, It's called "FILE SHARING".

Piracy is on thing. Theft of physical inventory someone else paid to acquire for the purpose of sale is another.

Reason 2: Scientists have already created a divice that can transform sound into air waves, that can be recieved by divices that can be placed anywhere in your home, and even on the dashboard of your CAR! This revolutionary divice has actualy been aroun for a REALY long time. It's called a freakin' RADIO!!!

Radio does not sound all that spectacular.

Reason 3: You can tape music off the radio!

Who wants to wait to record a song played on someone elses schedule and have to listen to all the other shit in between

Reason 4: mp3s are a big waste of space on your computer!

If you got that little space on your computer that some mp3s are considered a waste of space, might I suggest getting a real hard drive or perhaps a cdr

A satyrical reply to what seemed a satyrical critique on the mp3 world

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zeramid
Sarge
Member # 111

Rate Member

posted 03-10-2001 08:13 PM     Profile for Zeramid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yea nice job stealing that from the dailyshow

------------------

Posts: 2021 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Broch
Sarge
Member # 370

Member Rated:

posted 03-11-2001 12:39 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lol.. Download away, but when you find yourself listening to a certain song over and over then support the artist and go buy CDs you cheap bastards.

But then, maybe your too ashamed to go buy that N'Sync CD ehhh? This I can understand.

Posts: 550 | From: Philly | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-11-2001 03:50 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"That's a nice metallica tee-shirt"

"Yeah my friend shared it with me but I'm thinking of buying my own"

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Broch
Sarge
Member # 370

Member Rated:

posted 03-11-2001 10:20 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Sharing a t-shirt is not the same... You know that.

Broch
Sarge
Member # 370

Member Rated:

posted 03-11-2001 11:02 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Then do this with the extra cash..

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-12-2001 02:53 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

"Is it just me, or does it smell like teen spirit in here?"

Is that a real quote from someone else, Anarki? I'm just curious as to if you made that up yourself or if it's a famous line from somewhere...

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-12-2001 02:57 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, and is anyone else sick of hearing about Napster and how it should be free and allowed and legal? Everywhere I turn I get reasons why it's not wrong, mostly from whiney kids who don't want to pay for anything. I'm about as sick of Napster as I am of "All your base are belong to us."
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2001 03:57 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Broch~ I was actually quoting, verbatim, what Napster's creator, what's his face, and some other dude said at a music awards show I saw last year. . . They were presenting. . . I thought it was funny, especially considering the camera panned to a shot of Kurt Hammet from Metallica covering his face.

Red, I'm sick of it too. I don't really care, I mean I use it, but when it goes away I'll just find something else, no big deal. . . I think that the problem is that to some of those little punks, mp3s only exist because of Napster. . . hell I remember WAY back I'd spend hours on the net looking for one mp3, that was probably 22Khz and 96kbps. They existed before, and they'll outlast it.

------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2001 06:52 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's Kirk Hammet BTW. I used to be a Metallica fan, back when they where a Heavy metall band.

------------------

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2001 12:05 PM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Napster might not be here to stay but peer to peer file sharing programs are. the music industry will have to find some way to use it to their advantage. i dont really care if they take away napster.. i still know how to use ftp's and hotline, i did it once and i can do it agian, napster is just easier, so i use it.

------------------
I will live forever, or die trying.

Posts: 1601 | From: that warm little part of your heart | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2001 02:49 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kirk? I always thought it was Kurt for some reason. . . oh well.
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 03:21 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Smells Like Teen Spirit was an awesome song...by Kurt Kobain, from Nirvana's album Nevermind
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 03:25 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid ~ Your not mixing up Mr. Hammet and Mr. Cobain somehow?

------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 04:59 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not that I'm aware of. . .
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 09:17 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Piracy is on thing. Theft of physical inventory someone else paid to acquire for the purpose of sale is another.

Hmmmmm... My head hurts trying to digest that. Hmmmmm... Stealing is one thing. But stealing is another. Hmmmmm... Someone help me out here, the throbbing is getting worse!

MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 09:47 AM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
its like taking from the manufacurer, as aposed to taking from a store.

its still steeling but a music store only has one sorce of income where the manufacurer has many..

i for one would rather steel from some one who would not feel the effects as badly.

------------------

Posts: 1601 | From: that warm little part of your heart | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 10:52 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, a criminal with a conscience!
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 03:32 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you HONESTLY think those big corporations miss our money?? Well either way, I could give a shit if they did cause big business is corrupt and deceptive anyway.
cypher917
Visor
Member # 2312

Rate Member

posted 03-13-2001 03:46 PM     Profile for cypher917   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know if the record industry has had a loss of revenue due to Napster? I would bet that they hadn't but I have no info on that. Just a guess
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 03:48 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
People can rationalize anything, can't they?
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 04:57 PM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the last i heard, cd sales were up in 2000 i dont remember the percent though.

you know 40, maybe if the record industry werent being such ass holes about this situation then we wouldnt try to rationalize it so much. IMO they just approched the whole situation wrong. Yes it is stealing, but those dick heads deserve it, maybe if they got down from their high horses then they would come to their sences.

there is no way that the record industry can stop peer to peer sharing. so you might as well get what money you can. i would rather get $5 a month from a millon users the $0 a month from a trillon. and i for one would spend $5 a month on a service like napster, if the amount of songs were the same.

------------------

Broch
Sarge
Member # 370

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 06:41 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter:
i for one would rather steel from some one who would not feel the effects as badly.
[/B]

Most people have this feeling at sometime in their life.. its normal.

The fact is someday you'll either become the big evil company or work for one and by then you will counting every $.

It doesn't mean your evil or greedy.. it just means you have figured out how to survive.

Some animals survive by killing other animals.. we survive by selling CDs.

No fucking different.

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 07:06 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, madhatter, they aren't being dicks about it. It's the basic premise of a free society, and a free enterprise. Law of supply and demand, that sort of thing. First of all, in a free society, it's wrong to take something that doesn't belong to you, and that the person who owns says you should pay for. It doesn't matter if you like the price or not. You don't like the price? Start your own record company, and charge smaller amounts. Or wait for someone else to. Or pay the price. Or don't get the music. Or be a thief. Your choice. You'd be doing the same thing if you were in the record executives positions, you're fooling yourself if you say otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not above copying a CD and giving it to a friend. I'm just not trying to rationalize it, saying it doesn't matter becuase of blah, blah, or that they deserve it, blah, blah. You can get as mad at me as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a crime to download copyrighted material from the internet without permission from the copyright holder.

MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 07:31 PM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If i were in the record execs position i would try to work with the internet and not against it. I am not saying the stealing is right, i am saying that if they (record companys) wanted to make a profit from napster like programs then they could.

quote:
It doesn't mean your evil or greedy.. it just means you have figured out how to survive.

and if the record industry wants to survie then they will find a way to use the internet to their advantage.

the more that the industry pushes to shut down napster like programs, the more programs will arise.. mp3's + the internet changed the way we get music, and the industry refuses to believe that.

40, i am not mad at you, and i dont try to rationalize it, 10% of the mp3's i have on my computer are downloaded from the internet, I STOLE THEM! i am just trying to explain that these peer to peer programs are not going away, and the industry better find a way to use that as a way to make money.

BTW, i have a very large cd collection, and i buy many cds.. but if i just want a single song, or a live mix then i download it. 99.8% of things i download from napster are live mixes that arnt available to me unless i download them.

------------------

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 09:54 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh god, I hate it when people do this, but here I go:

quote:
you know 40, maybe if the record industry werent being such ass holes about this situation then we wouldnt try to rationalize it so much.

quote:
Yes it is stealing, but those dick heads deserve it

Sure looks like you were trying to rationalize it to me!

Anyway, I agree that the recording industry is going to have to find a way to use the internet, or they will perish. But they don't have to if they don't want to, and they aren't dickheads for trying to stop theft of their property. I have a sneaking suspicion that they ARE working on some new kind of distribution that they CAN control, and charge for. AND enforce it.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 11:05 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Smelling like Teen Spirit (which is deoderant) is by Kurt Cobain.
Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-14-2001 05:06 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I just deleted 5 Gigs worth of mp3's from my drive, hows that for attitude?

Well, acctually it was not intentional..

------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-14-2001 05:38 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just wanna know something...is taping from the radio illegal?!?!
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-14-2001 09:36 AM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, i wasnt trying to rationalize it personaly, i know it is stealing and i accept that.

and they deserve it because they are inpart responsable for the poblisity that napster has... IIRC the napster user base went sky high as soon as the law suits started.

quote:
they just approched the whole situation wrong

if they did it in a less agressive manner then the user base might not have gotten so high, and it wouldnt be so much of a problem. and they are dickheads because of the way they delt with the situation. i am sure they could have delt with it in a better way.

i know that they are trying to stop the theift of their property, but they could have done it a little different..

so i am not saying it is right for these reasons, i am saying it could have been handled differnetly and the who mess could have been some what avoided.

------------------

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-14-2001 09:57 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, they could have gone about it differently, but they didn't. It may or may not turn out to be the best thing they could have done, in the long run. Shut napster down, and in the short run have the traffic skyrocket. Once shut down, traffic plummets significantly. Sure, some will go to gnutela and the other programs, but a lot will just stop downloading. There decision to take the action they did was as much a marketing decision as a legal one. No, they're not dickheads. They are businessmen. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. Actually, there's a lot right with that. All these people bitch and moan about not being able to steal anymore. About how much money the record companies make, and how little actually goes to the artist. How many of these complainers have started a record company of their own, signed up artists, and offered the music for free? How long would that company last? Not very long. How many have started a company of their own, signed up artists, and charged a 'nominal' fee, with most of it going to the artists? Not many. Who would want to? Start a company to not make profits? Na. If it's the right thing to do, why isn't anyone doing it?

Bah, I'm rambling again. Hope I got my point across, but I doubt it.

Oh, and recording from the radio is legal. As long as you don't distribute that music, and only use it personally. And that has nothing to do with the napster case, as much as people want it to.

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 03-14-2001 10:13 AM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whether or not recording songs from the radio is legal still does not make up for the crappy sound of the recording you end up with. With mp3s, you can convert them back to wav and have pretty much the same product you would, should, could have purchased in the music store. A song recorded off the radio will sound like...a song recorded off the radio. Crap.

I've used Napster in the past to get tunes from the 70s and 60s that I used to own on vinyl, songs from records that I bought long ago. I feel that since I already paid the musicians back in the 70s, they won't mind me replacing my lost or worn out lps.

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-14-2001 12:07 PM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think they are dick heads cause they came out fighting. when they could have done a better job of protecting the copywrited material if they came out talking.

whatever.. my point never gets across....

------------------

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-14-2001 12:49 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Grandfathered' payments, eh, Outtie? Cool concept!

Hatter, your point did get across, I just don't agree with it. I was feeling that my point wasn't getting across!

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-15-2001 07:47 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course it's by Nirvan/Cobain etc. etc. I used to be a huge fan... I've even got a poster (cheers Wolfie!)!!
I'm just curious as to the "Is it just me..." part.

[This message has been edited by Redlemons (edited 03-15-2001).]

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-16-2001 07:43 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good I am not being ignored... Red? Red? where'd he go? Dang...
Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-17-2001 01:05 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What what whaat?

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com