Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » RANT!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RANT!!!!
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-10-2001 08:31 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[rant]I have a bit of a complaint and I want to vent my frustration.

I recently picked up the latest Maximum PC magazine, and the demo CD included among other things, a demo of Mechwarrior 4: Vengenence. The first problem comes up when I saw that it's by Microsoft. . . the second comes up when, after you've installed the demo, it says that it needs DX8 to run. Fucking microsoft, I can't believe that they'd push an inferior product like that. I personally haven't heard very many good things about DX8 as far as gaming goes, and I don't understand why MS would be so arrogant. Then again I should have known better, after all they did release windows. fucking bastards, I just don't believe that FASA (they made the original RPG dice game) would license out to those over inflated pigs at Microsoft. I HATE MICROSOFT!!!!! And please spare me the "linux is better" rhetoric. If linux is so great why hasn't someone come up with a way to install linux over windows, and not have to format your hard drive and inevitably lose information you'd like to keep, don't even get me started on how linux isn't standardized. . .I mean come on two different GUI's, that just drives me nuts, I would have already switched if it weren't for that.[/rant]

------------------

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 02-10-2001 10:08 PM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So very true... its scary.

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2001 01:27 AM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everybody bitches about MS yet almost everyone with a computer uses it everyday. Everybody bitches about the way they do business yet there's few people that wouldn't want their company to be as successful. Go figure.
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2001 01:44 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
License out?? As far as I was aware, MS bought FASA

also...

quote:
why hasn't someone come up with a way to install linux over windows, and not have to format your hard drive and inevitably lose information you'd like to keep

There are several things that can aid you in this. Partitioon Magic, Disk Druid (on Mandrake install) etc... Hell, many distros have a version of WinLinux too (which i find, what is the point of running a powerful and stable OS on top of the complete oposite ) As far as X goes, KDE has pretty much taken the cake. Gnome is good sure, but KDE is much prettier IMO. And you would think the gui issue would not even be an issue since things built for X run regardless of the gui. X is X. Just a matter of having gtk et all installed.

[This message has been edited by Snag (edited 02-11-2001).]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2001 01:53 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OH, and while we are bitching, why is Microsoft so ignorant to think that people only use their OSes?? I mean, the only OS from MS that comes with a bootloader is WinNT/2000....and they only tell you of other M$ systems. I really hate having to patch up LILO every time i reinstall Windows cause of OS decay. Never had that problem with linux...if I re-install it is because I fucked up. But windows, you re-install it and boom...no more linux, beos etc...until you patch the bootloader.
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 02-11-2001 04:13 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny, that. I just tried the demo of MW4 today and got the same DirectX 8 notice.
If anyone played Mechwarrior 2, they'll know how good the series can be. Ironic that the second installment was the best. Every other Mechwarrior game (Mech Commander, MW3 and the clones like Heavy Gear etc.) hasn't been nearly as good as MW2.

I tried Alice for the first time today- now that... that's an awesome, awesome game.

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2001 04:30 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snag, I wasn't trying to dis linux, I just went off on a tangent. . . I'm well aware of what's available as far as partitioning and all that.

I had no idea that MS bought FASA. . . that licks balls, of course it does get around that little licensing issue. I'm still pissed about that DX8 thing though.

Red, damn straight MW2 was the best. . . I have that and Mercenaries, that one kicks ass too.

CIA . . . BLORB!!

Any true Mechwarrior will know what that means.

[This message has been edited by AcidWarp (edited 02-11-2001).]

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 02-11-2001 07:20 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got Mercenaries, too I even bought the Titanium Edition when I first got my (then) state of the art Voodoo2. What a joke the Titanium Edition was! Pirated, of course, from south east Asia.

But MW2 was one of the first full games I bought- either that or Warcraft II.

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 02-11-2001 07:25 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CIA BLORB? Looks like I'm no real fan

Heh but I do remember 'Enola Gay'

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2001 02:19 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BLORB was for Inuvlnerability and CIA was unlimited Ammuntion.
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2001 04:24 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAHA, I got the MW2 that came with my old Matrox card, one with my joystick, another one with a sound card and then the original one that I purchased lol So 4 legit copies of one game lol OH SHIT, make that 5. I got one with my original Monster too.
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2001 03:15 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man this brings back some good memeories.

------------------
If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2001 04:01 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DX8 runs perfect on my Windows 98SE.
Never had a single problem. It runs great with my system. I've run it for over a month!

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2001 04:02 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ooops forgot to mention... a tiny quake 3 improvement

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2001 05:42 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OOOOhhhh yeahh..... MW2, man that was kewl....

anyody played (and beaten)the n00 one?

i luv it!

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2001 02:36 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TK, most reviews I've seen of it say that there is a loss of framerate in games like q3, particularly if you don't have a top of the line graphics board. Remember mine's an older one.
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2001 03:55 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhm...well, been playing MW4 a little bit (a buddy was harassing me so I got him the iso the night it was made public) and I must say, I like it. BUT, there is something that also must me addressed. Now, remember the days where games were simple? I mean, I remember back when I had the ColecoVision and those pistol grip controllers that had 4 buttons instead of two seemed like overkill. Now there are so many damned controls you almost gotta take a course just to learn to play a game. BTW, MW4 is cool...but I personally like games where my hands remain over one area of the controlling surface (aka keyboard).
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2001 06:04 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DX8 is evil. Caused me to reformat a cleanly formatted computer (weird eh?)

------------------

Ghost Face Killer

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 02-14-2001 03:04 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What problem have you people been experiencing with DX8? I've been using it ever since a pre-release was avilable and haven't had a problem.

Oh! and by the way, all 9x OS's by Microsoft really suck. Stop bitching, we've all known about it for years (what can you say about a 16 bit operating system?). XP is what you should get when it comes out. Much, much better. It's essentially Win2k with home support. I've been screwing with the beta, runs well. Has all the ME quirks, including the really shitty video editor. It also has a 16bit game emulator so that you can run all those REALLY old games that wont run under 2k.

As far as Linux goes, I was using RedHat7.0 along with ME and Win2k for a while, but I found no use for it. There simply not enough support right now. I'm all for it if more companies will release software, and improve the admin, ease of use. As it is, Linux is only for those who have the patience to learn every little quirk

Posts: 99 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com