Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » LAN sharing of DSL "riddle" .... solve this one

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LAN sharing of DSL "riddle" .... solve this one
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2001 11:29 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This has been baffling me for a week now. Here’s the scenario:

Office peer-to-peer LAN of 8 computers, all connecting to DSL via Sygate3.1 through a “host”. All use 10/100 PCI NICs to network.

Host: TCP/IP 192.168.1.7 / subnet 255.255.255.0, DNS & gateway unassigned.
Using Speedstream 4160 USB DSL modem

Clients: TCP/IPs 192.168.1.X , X= 1 through 8 (excluding 7). Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Set in I.E. to access browser via LAN. Gateways are set to 192.168.1.7, DNS set to 192.168.1.7

All works fine, everybody can browse, Quake, etc.

THEN … I build a ninth computer to act as a “server”, hosting the DSL, the printer and all the commonly used data files. To make settings easier, I shut down the old host after removing it’s NIC’s TCP/IP properties and Sygate 3.1.

I set the “server” up as the new host, loading Sygate 3.1 and setting it’s TCP/IP properties to 192.168.1.7

The “old host” gets a new IP (192.168.1.10), 255.255.255.0 and DNS and gateway of 192.168.1.7. It’s set to access I.E. via a LAN.

Everybody boots up, the LAN has everybody showing up. The server/host is on the ‘net AND the “old host” connects and browses just fine ….. BUT:

…The other 7 computers CANNOT browse , HOWEVER they CAN:

1. Get msn.com when I.E. is opened up. This is I.E.s default webpage. Netscape gets nothing but a time-out.
2. Get to URLs on msn.com’s home page but I can’t get to any address via inserting the www address in the destination bar
3. Ping any vvv.xxx.yyy.zzz. address successfully, like put in F3D’s or Yahoo’s address and get packets back, but I CAN’T get there via the browser.
4. Load up Q3A and get servers and play.

I checked the settings in 192.168.1.10’s devices and TCP/IP protocol against the others and they are identical, save the Ips last digit and the “host name” in DNS config, per Sygate’s instructions.

Make one simple change on a working system and everything goes to hell … but NOT consistently as ONE client works just fine.

I would guess this is a browser issue, perhaps even involving the ports …. But I don’t know. EVERYBODY on the other 7 computers is getting a little pissed at me (I’m included) cuz not only can they not browse, but they can’t get their company e-mail.

Anybody got a clue of where it’s messed up ???

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
American freak
Visor
Member # 2279

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2001 11:45 PM     Profile for American freak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would remove the old host computer form the lan. and see what happens. to me it sounds like the old host is trying to be the old "host" instead of a client. did you remove the connections sharing from the old host? these are the first things that come to my mind.......
PrincessGummy
Sarge
Member # 1951

Member Rated:

posted 02-03-2001 07:06 PM     Profile for PrincessGummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*twists hair and tries to look cute*

ummmmm...can i have a lifeline?

Posts: 507 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 02-05-2001 12:38 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like a DNS / name resolution issue.

Try pinging a DNS name from the command line of the machines in question and see if they can resolve an IP address to that name. I would suspect that they can't. Try setting the DNS address on these machines to 192.168.1.7, and see if Sygate passes the DNS request on to the outside default server.

O

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 02-05-2001 09:52 PM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip, Ron ... however, I said "fuggit" and dumped Sygate. On Doublefresh's suggestion I DL'd the "All Aboard" demo and - bingo - it works. So well, in fact, I just might pay them for the program instead of cracking it. (ain't my money, anyways)
Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 02-05-2001 11:03 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What is All Aboard? And what does it do?

O

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2001 01:45 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The All Aboard! family is InterNetShare.com's Internet Connection Sharing Software that enables multiple systems to access the Internet using one TCP/IP address and connection using Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME (Standard and Business Editions) or Linux (Advanced Edition). The Internet connection can be an analogue modem, cable modem, ISDN, xDSL, satellite or T1/T3 link.

[This message has been edited by Snag (edited 02-06-2001).]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2001 08:20 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where it gets different from Sygate, Winproxy, Win98SE sharing, etc. is that the program changed the IPs of the clients in the 3rd and 4th octets to (for example) 192.168.244.13X from 192.168.0.x,y,z while the host remained 192.168.0.1. The subnet was also changed in a different number in the last octet while the host kept 255.255.255.0 Computers NOT sharing kept the 192.168.0.a,b,c IPs and 255.255.255.0 assignments. The gateway and DNS assignments on the clients was changed to 192.168.244.129. Unlike Sygate and Winproxy, the program had to be installed on all computers, not just the host.

All host names, names and workgroups remained the same ... hence, all connect and the LAN is intact.

What's humorous is that the demo stated flatout that it would work only on a host and a maximum of 3 clients. Not so ... all 7 are humping along.

The proggy is available of sale on an e-basis for $50 for 4 computers and $90 for 6.
I haven't cracked the demo (afraid to mess with something that seems to work fine) so I'm not sure if the crack just takes the time limit off the demo or additionally removes the units-using limitation.

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 02-07-2001 08:18 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2XFresh reports the crack removes the units using constraint AND the time expiration off the demo.

(the little devil on my shoulder is saying "crack the fucker, you pussy homo" while the little angel on my other shoulder is pleading "c'mon, pay the people and be LEGAL")

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-07-2001 03:46 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
jondster I'd just like to poke my nose into your little problem and say that if the software is for a company and the company has an illegal version of it. The manufacturer could choose to persue legal action against your company. Not that I have a problem with cracking software . . . quite the contrary I'm trying to find a cracked version of Audiocatalyst 2.x, it would just be a shame if you got fired for something like that.
Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2001 08:38 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid ~ you are quite right. Especially with a company who's main product IS SOFTWARE (us).

I didn't say I was going to crack it, in fact I stated earlier I WAS going to pay for it. It's just that the general mentality both with me (which I was joking about) and many of us, the idea of cracking it IS indeed first nature.

Seriously, in this case, the amount in question (probably $90) is well worth the security of knowing we're "legal" but more importantly that support would be available.

This ethical question has come up before and we have always opted for "doing the right thing" when software that will be used on an ongoing basis is concerned. As mentioned, the whole basis of our business is a software program. The security for this is pretty good, almost to the point of being ridiculous. We found out that the program cancels itself occasionally when Norton WinDoctor messes with the registry ...

* I correct myself - I said "I just might pay for it". Even before I started here, I was instructed to BUY stuff used here.

[This message has been edited by jondster (edited 02-08-2001).]

Mutley
Sarge
Member # 212

Rate Member

posted 02-09-2001 09:18 AM     Profile for Mutley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why don't you just save yourself some
fustration and get a router,
I just purchased a Linksys 4 port hub/router
$129.99. Or just get a gateway, that's even cheaper.
I used sygate. Not crazy about it.
Then got Win2k (built in connection sharing)
But nothing is gonna beat a router.
It makes life alot easier..................

[This message has been edited by Mutley (edited 02-09-2001).]

Posts: 232 | From: Neverneverland | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2001 10:30 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I first installed DSL on this LAN, I went out and got a THAT router (this was before we changed to a USB DSL modem. The ISP blocked me because it doesn't allow sharing in the EULA and the server recognized the MAC of the router and prohibited connection.

Now I understand Linksys has MAC spoofing BUT we have the USB modem which precludes use of it.

WTF ... "All Aboard" is working just fine, the Sygate CD is a windchime ornament, and we're good-to-go until we get a T1 or something. Then I'll re-look into the Linksys router.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com