Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » What sex is your computer?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What sex is your computer?
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2001 04:32 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A language instructor was explaining to her class that in French, nouns are gramatically designated as masculine or feminine. One student asked the sex of a computer. As the word wasn't in her French dictionary, for fun she split the class into two groups by gender and asked them to decide whether 'computer' should be a masculine or feminine noun.

The men decided that computers should definetely be of the feminine gender ('la computer' because:
1) No one but their creator understands their internal logic.
2) The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
3) Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for possible later retrieval.
4) As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your pay cheque on accessories for it.

The women, however, concluded that computers should be masculine ('le computer') because:
1) In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
2) They have a lot of data, but they are still clueless.
3) They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half they time they ARE the problem.
4) As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you'd waited a little, you could have got a better model.

Actually I think the male argument is better. :/ However... in my spanish dictionary the computer is male.

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-10-2001 05:46 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lol! funny... Actually it's feminine. A computer is "ordinateur" in french. With the prefix it would be l'ordinateur.
Posts: 99 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 01-10-2001 06:04 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My computer is neuter. It's a computer, not a person. You all and your fancy foreign languages. I do it the typical american way. When someone can't understand me, I say it LOUDER, s-l-o-w-e-r, and add an 'e' or 'oh' to the end.

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2001 07:26 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gald, I was thining the exact same thing...I knew French would come in handy in Canada for something lol

Anyhow, I must say...I do not have to be turned on for anyone to get my attention and as far as that better model thing...common...can equally be said that as it gets old my fps sag MWAHAHAHA sorry hehe

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2001 08:45 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL!!!

I've seen that before but it's still funny.

------------------

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 02:39 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LoL Perhaps even a little too close to the truth? Funny stuff.

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 02:44 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL @ Wolfie & Scooby!!

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 03:55 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
female
Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
PrincessGummy
Sarge
Member # 1951

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 06:23 AM     Profile for PrincessGummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think mine is a transexual. it's all of the above
Posts: 507 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
PrincessGummy
Sarge
Member # 1951

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 06:25 AM     Profile for PrincessGummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I become a Canadian citizen one day (just incase i decdide to or something..hehe)
do I HAVE to know French?

JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 07:18 AM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, you need to know a bit of french or they give you a non-french tax. Quebec is trying to place a law so instead of not specking french you get taxed if you speak English you get taxed. I don't know what is going to happen with that law, Quebec is going to nuke the rest of Canada if it doesn't happen. Ok, so you don't need to learn french, I wasted all that time learning it!
Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 09:24 AM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
She was asking about Canada, not Quebec.
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-11-2001 02:10 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, I live in Canada, even if it is Quebec! Don't listen to JoJo, you don't need to know french... Funny, what the hell u goin' on about JoJo?
Posts: 99 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-11-2001 02:12 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WooHoo! To all those Canadians on the board... That Separatist Bastard Lucien Bouchard stepped down from his position as Premier of Quebec! Now to get rid of the rest...
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 02:44 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Really Gladiator!?

WOOO HOOO!!!!

It's about time . . .

------------------

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 05:28 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
computer noun ordenador M; to work on a computer trabajar en ordenador.

Funny... for some reason I thought Spanish and French corresponded on the female/male things.

[This message has been edited by Wolfie (edited 01-11-2001).]

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-11-2001 06:14 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I could be mistaken on that, although I asked three or four people and they seem to agree.
PrincessGummy
Sarge
Member # 1951

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2001 07:30 PM     Profile for PrincessGummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm talking in like, your area sorta deskjet....
just curious.

all i know is german and english
*cries*
i don't wanna learn french!!!

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 01-15-2001 08:34 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't figured out it's gender ...

I've called it (while working on it) :

1. Sonufabitch
2. Muthaf*cker

...which would indicate "male", but also "WHORE", pointing to "female".

And also "You miserable piece o' shit", being neuter.

Go figure.

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
KilledYerAss
Visor
Member # 2281

Rate Member

posted 01-15-2001 07:15 PM     Profile for KilledYerAss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAHAHA, Jondster. I agree.
Posts: 8 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-15-2001 07:51 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But there's also Man-Whore, so maybe male, eh? I usually just aim my swearing towards Microsoft...
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 01-16-2001 08:28 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If Ben Franklin were alive today, he would have added Microsoft to "Death and Taxes" in his list of undesirable inevitabilities.
Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
fury
Sarge
Member # 676

Rate Member

posted 01-18-2001 11:03 PM     Profile for fury   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*psychotic look in his face*

Heh...

Eheheh....

Heheheh...

My computer... Heh...

Oh, I'd advise you to back away slowly and out of the room...

(the rest of the Q3arena.com members step outside for a moment, and shut the door. For the next 30 minutes, all they hear is a lot of yelling which is likely swearing, objects being thrown, and the maniacal laughter of fury)

Posts: 842 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2001 04:50 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bathroom humour at microsoft. . .

"Bill Gates downloads here . . "

"Your momma so fat, it took me 25 minutes to download her picture"

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 01-20-2001 09:56 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
computers are definitely male. theyre based on logic, not distemperment, and they never fuck with your head - it's either right or wrong.

besides, chicks can hardly use them

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-20-2001 04:12 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, i assume Gladiator is not of the separatist movement. So I guess I can forgive him for living in Quebec. With that being said:

L'ouest vivra dans l'absence oriental de l'opression

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com