next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Winter's Heart

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Winter's Heart
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2000 02:00 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Book nine in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan...Anyone read it yet? Wolfie? Others?
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2000 03:54 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
not me
wuts it about

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2000 05:17 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a fantasy-series...RJ writes really good if you like that genre...If you haven't read any fantasy before, I advise you to start with either "The Hobbit" or "Lord of the Rings" - both by J.R.R.Tolkien, though. If you like those, you'll love the Wheel of Time series as well
JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2000 07:06 AM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard about Wheel of Time, but I know a few people who like The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings who don't like that book. Plus, I am lazy, nine books is too much. I couldn't get through one of the books in the series. Is there any Coles Notes?
Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2000 07:07 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eheh...not that I know of OjOj
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2000 04:54 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*lol* good idea though Jo.

No I haven't read it yet... I've ordered it through my library but nothing is coming through as of yet. have you?

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 11-14-2000 02:29 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm halfway through it so far...I like
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 11-14-2000 05:26 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ahhh shhhh.

I have to go borrow the last book because I've forgotten what's happened! I know Egwene was made the head of the renegade part of the magic thing... see I even forgot most of the names and things. But really that's all I can remember. Oh yeah, and whatsherface made a bridge in magic and kinda healed some sisters.

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-14-2000 09:37 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHAT!!!!!! BOOK NINE IS OUT!!!!!! Nobody say anything about it, I didn't even know it was due to come out so soon. I think that I need to go to the book store see if I can get my hands on one.

If anybody says anything about this book, I will personally Balefire their ass.

------------------

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 11-15-2000 05:37 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's good so far, that's all you need to know
DOC HOLIDAY
Sarge
Member # 1146

Rate Member

posted 11-15-2000 10:27 AM     Profile for DOC HOLIDAY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey there Riv!

I don't read any Robert Jordan but I am wondering....have you ever read any of R.A. Salvatores stuff. He rocks!

Let me know if you have and whether or not if I like his stuff I should try the Robert Jordan books. I am currently reading Spine of the World by Salvatore and it is great!

Peace!

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 11-16-2000 03:32 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hiya Doc! Long time no see!
Nope...can't say that I've read any of Salvatore's stuff...is writing fantasy as well?

IRIGHTI
Sarge
Member # 1656

Rate Member

posted 11-18-2000 10:51 PM     Profile for IRIGHTI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You must read the hitchhiker's guide books as well. Very entertaining!!!
Posts: 38 | From: Parker, KS USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-19-2000 02:33 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In the begining the universe was created.
This made a lot of people very angry and has been widly regarded as a bad move

------------------

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 11-20-2000 02:51 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've read "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" - it's good but a different type of book...
I've finished book 9 now and I really enjoyed it! I can't wait for book 10!

Esquilax
Sarge
Member # 2075

Member Rated:

posted 11-21-2000 09:35 PM     Profile for Esquilax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Loved The Hobbit and L.O.T.R. I believe they're the best books of their genre.
Gonna look into this stuff too.

Posts: 38 | From: The Land of the Ice and Snow. | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-21-2000 10:17 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Esquilax, once you've read Jordan, you'll never go back to Tolkien.
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 11-22-2000 03:30 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, I still love Tolkien - don't get me wrong. He was in many ways the "inventor" of this genre. I can't wait for the movie-trilogy either
But I agree to some extent - Jordan has IMO managed to develop the genre even further. He's a great story-teller!

DOC HOLIDAY
Sarge
Member # 1146

Rate Member

posted 11-24-2000 10:01 AM     Profile for DOC HOLIDAY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup, Salvatore is a fantasy writer as well. He writes Forgotten Realms series for TSR (based off of charachters in D&D) and some other side stuff. Up till now I have only read his Forgotten Realms books and they are excellent so I will most likely pick up some of his other works in the near future.

If you decide you wanna check out his writing, I would suggest you pick up "Homeland" first. It is the first book in the Dark Elf trilogy and is exceptional.

Enjoy!

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-25-2000 12:56 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just saw the trailer for the new D&D movie. It's looks like the effects are going to be pretty cool. I just hope they aren't overdone.

fuck it's hard to type when you're getting buzed and only have three fingers on one hand, which is technically true seeing as the thumb isn't a finger

[This message has been edited by AcidWarp (edited 11-25-2000).]

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-23-2001 02:09 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Back to the top.

Just finished book nine. . .

SWEET!!!

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 01-23-2001 03:46 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I knew you'd like it
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 01-23-2001 03:28 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought it weird that I was halfway through the book and I hadn't heard ANYTHING about mat. Then it was like, "oh, there he is".

I thought the 9th book was going to be the last one... anyone have any idea how many books there are?

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-23-2001 04:15 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's nine Wolfie

Last I heard he was going to write 10, so I think that maybe this upcoming one will be the last. Then again someone once told me he was planning on writing 14. I guess will just have to wait and see.

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2001 02:22 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's definately going to be more than 10....what I heard a couple of years back, was that Jordan was planning to end the series after book 12...It doesn't matter if you ask me...keep them coming!
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2001 06:03 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I cannot stand fantasy anymore. I used to. I mean, I love the Hobbit, Twin Towers and Return of the King. But then someone named Terry Brooks came along and I must say...he turned me off fantasy forever with his childish twists. Hell, I dunno...maybe Terry Brooks wasn't so bad....maybe my tastes just changed midriff. I dunno; I just can't do it anymore. Like for example, I played and finished like 5 of the Dragon Warrior games for Nintendo. Then when Final Fantasy came out...I could not even look at it. The only RPGs I play now are the Zeldas and Diablos of the gaming world. But then there is Quake...FPSs will never wane from my heart. EVER. Anyhow, time to go read the pron I just bought. J/K....it is only Stuff Magazine hehe. THAT is what I call good reading material. If it don't teach ya anything about sex or women...it ain't worth reading
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2001 09:16 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't read Terry Brooks yet (that's the Shanarra-series or something, right?), but I still say you should give Jordan and Wheel of Time a go...especially if you like Tolkien!
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2001 04:07 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Terry Brooks was alright, though I admit it was a bit boring at some times. But then again I was 11 when I read the whole Shannara series. His "Kingdom for Sale" series is quite good, with humour thrown in, kinda reminds you of Piers Anthony's "Xanth" series or Terry Pratchett's "Discworld".

My favourites will still have to be David Eddings' series... though one is quite like the other.

Has anyone heard of Terry Goodkind? My sister bought me one of his books for Christmas. She knows I'm into fantasy but she's a sci-fi person, and the book I have is right in the middle of the sreies I guess... so it's weird just jumping into the world in the middle of the epic. The plot seems interesting, however the writing seems a bit amateur.

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 01-24-2001 06:49 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved the Shannara series!
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2001 09:39 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've read a little Goodkind. It's okay. . . but at times he almost seems like a Jordan clone, and a bad one at that.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com