Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Which CPU should I buy?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which CPU should I buy?
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-27-2000 11:39 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I need to upgrade for better gaming fps. I currently have a Celeron 400/TNT-2/BH-6 motherboard.

I would like to get a cheap CPU that can handle Q3A and other up and coming games. Would a better CPU help or would I need a Video card and CPU? I want to run these games in high resolution but they suck with my current configuration.

Thanks

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 12:37 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the higher res thing, i'd go for a new vcard
stick with nvidia though =)

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 02:22 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your Celery runs a 66MHz bus doesn't it? That could probably account for the crappy performance. The best thing to do would be to get a new mobo and CPU. I recommend something with the VIA Apollo Pro Chipset. It'll let you run different system and ram bus speeds, plus it's nice and stable.

The thing about fps and 3D graphical performace is that the system speed (bus speed, ram bandwidth, bus bandwidth. . .) has at least the same impact as the graphic chipset. So you'll get noticable improvement just by going from a 66MHz bus to a 100MHz bus or even a 133MHz bus.

------------------

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 03:31 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been looking at a PIII700, I wan't to buy a Intel processor... and it should be pretty good cost/performance vise too. I don't even think I need to upgrade my mobo for it either (BX slot-1, 100Hz).

Any thoughts?

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-28-2000 08:27 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, no need to upgrade the mobo Lindi I agree. Breaking 66 BUS is something I really want to do but I don't want to spend too much.

Acid~ Droppage from the blue board suggested a PentiumIII 550E for my slot1 board. You can get one for 120 bucks from a www.pricewatch.com listed vender. Well us americans can anyhow!

Wouldn't it be cool to have the hard drive, RAM, Video anmd everything else at 100BUS? I bet that would be a sweet systems even with a 500Mhz CPU.

AT66 Hard Drive BUS anyone? That might be cool...

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 08-28-2000 09:34 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally, I'd just go with an Abit/Asus Socket A board ($100-150ish), and a Duron 650 or 700 ($75-100). They're great cpus, and damn cheap.
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-28-2000 01:40 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
be careful about compatability...
i thought i could stuff a 133fsb on my bx chipset MOBO..(tyan tsunami)nor did it care too much for a 512k cache...
if you could hold off til jan 2001, the prices will fall again(2gig chips on the horizon)
your 700 will be a bit cheaper...
i look for the amount of mhz per $..
a 600-700 is around 1$ per 3mhz...
video is a must for high end graphics on any platform... the more you relieve the processor of performing calculations, the more cycles it can devote to something else..
careful about the card you buy, theres more than q3 arena to play and there's only a few game mfrs. optimizing for t&l graphics...
besides, if your like me you still play older games and their not exactly friendly to nvidia or others that are limited in the instructions....
i'd sacrifice speed(thats unnoticed) for compatability any day..

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 04:34 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i can't find any reviews on duron cpu's
can anybody help me out here
i've heard rumors that they are really cheap and stuff,
but ehhh
i dunno

i need to start ordering my stuff soon
i gotta 2000 dollar limit
anybody have any suggestions?
thanx

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-28-2000 05:50 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
for 2k, it'd better be good w/ a 19" monitor
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 06:17 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yups 19"
this is wut i could fit in so far

an abit be6-II
piii 800
384 ram
geforce2 64ddr
30 gig ata66
sblive
3com 10/100
normal 3.5 1.44 flop
250 zip
16x dvd
8x4x32x burner
19 mon
alpha 3125 cooler thinger
i really wanna oc my 800 to a gig

any suggestions on wut typa speakers?
i kinda like that 6 piece cl speaker set with all that dolby digital crap

suggestions with mouse?
i'm lookin at another logitec mouseman wheel thinger
an ms intilli thinger (that laser thigner)
and or a razor boomslang . . (heard the weren't too comfy though)

DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 07:47 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
grumpy: I have had the Intellimouse Explorer with the eye for a long time now and have been very satisfied with it. Haven't had any trouble out of it at all. I know there are some people that have not liked it though. Guess it's personal preference and what kinda bugs you encounter. The big one takes a little getting used to but ends up fitting like a glove once you do. I believe they also have a midsize model along with the regular size.
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 08:18 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey deskjet
my bud bought a logitech with a laser thinger, and he says he loves it bla bla, but his one problem which rarely occurs is that when he moves his mouse too fast, it skips?? i don't understand wut he means. but any problem is still an issue to me.

do you have any similar problems? when moving your mouse too fast??

and do you know its max dpi thing?
i know the razor can go 2000
and just a normal logi can go 200
i think those laser logi's go to 1500

does anybody know about the intellimouse's dpI?

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2000 11:50 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cy, the 550E sounds like it might be the way to go. I'd wait though . . . I waited six or seven months from the time I decided to get a new machine to the time I actually bought one. I had my heart set on a 550EB, I ended up with a 667 Slot-1 Coppermine. In fact I was really pleased when my CPU went back up in price.

On another note, I have an ATA66 HDD, it's pretty sweet, but I'd wait till ATA100 mobos are more affordable.

[This message has been edited by AcidWarp (edited 08-29-2000).]

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-29-2000 11:57 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point Acidwarp but I can get a Duron 700 for 98 bucks today.

Duron Review:
http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/2171/1/

LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-29-2000 08:48 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ive got the intellimouse w/the eye...
other than the trouble w/my usb, it works great....i think the dpi could be around 1500 but i didnt get it to be able to cross my screen at the flick of my wrist, i'd guess its set around 700-800.. but the thought of never cleaning a mouse again was too much to pass up... i tried a friends larger version but it was too big and it looks like a giant bionic roach....the one i'd had for close to 10 yrs was a little worn...
nueter your mice....

KRUSTYY
Sarge
Member # 2186

Rate Member

posted 08-29-2000 10:34 PM     Profile for KRUSTYY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate to be the one to say this but my Eye Intelli mouse, after "one year" started too cut out on me. I mean the red light stopped showing and their was no response at all. For a mear $69.99 I guess it's worth a years play.
BTW Cy do what I did, get a good overclocker
and up it a few hundred mhz "careful though"
and save money! Just make sure if you get a HD 7200 rpm'er , it's compatible w/the mobo.

Posts: 97 | From: N.Y.C. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2000 10:45 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've not had any jumping problems yet or anything like that. Just opened the mouse controls in win2000 though and if you set the acceleration and speed to the highest settings, it will definitely go across the screen with a flick of the wrist. Way too fast for me.
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-30-2000 01:20 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To me the mouse is the least important piece other than the NIC card on a computer. This is just an opinion.

Krusty~ I have already done the overclocking thing. WiNdOzE gave me occasional annoying errors though.

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 08-30-2000 10:09 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bad mouse = bad experience in quake 3.

For gaming the mouse is very important, probably more important than the keyboard.

I like my Logitech Mouse Wheel Plus. I tried out one of those laser mice. Pretty nice, it's kewl that you don't need a mouse pad just a flat surface.

I guess the ultimate would be a wireless, laser mouse.

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-31-2000 11:12 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How come I get the same amount of frags with any kind of mouse Killer? I would say that it has to do with reflex NOT hardware.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 09-02-2000 02:45 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now Cy, let's not get into a pissing contest with TK.
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 09-03-2000 04:38 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just trying to prove a logical point sorry...

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 09-03-2000 11:42 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was just jokin' around Cy. I don't think that the type of mouse makes any real difference either, it's more the way the mouse feels in your hand that makes the difference.

------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com