next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Doom

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doom
Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 08-27-2000 01:39 PM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was thinking the other day (yes I am still recovering..)...what the hell (hell...hehehe)..ahem what the hell can id use as the new story for the new Doom game? I mean they have basically used up all the Demon/marine storys....surely? Or is going to be like a classic type thing? Like Duke forever?....And also I am bit worried about them using the Q3 engine....anyone played Star Trek Elite Force?....Its damn boring...doesnt even look that impressive....I dont reackon the Q3 engine is cut out for that type of stuff...hmmm...anyway....anyone seen the stuff with American Mcgee...bout his new game Alice...(as in Alice in Wonderland)....sounds really cool....I read an interview with him...he was really bad mouthing id ...dont blame him though if the stuff he was saying is true...and considering all the trouble over what id's next game would be I am not surprised ...that reminds me I gotta an interview with Paul Jaquays on my web site...(Phobos)take a look if ya want ( http://www.geocities.com/gruntwd/interviews.htm ) mostly just general stuff bout what he has done in the past and what hes doing in the future ((for those who dont know he is a level designer at id)) anyway there will be mroe i just need the email addy of John Cormack for my big interview anybody know it?
Posts: 102 | From: England | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-27-2000 03:44 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
johnc@idsoftware.com

I also read an interiew wih American McGee and he said nothing ill of id then

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 08-27-2000 06:02 PM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PC Zone October/
go take a look....

Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 08-27-2000 06:33 PM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PCZONE (UK) October Issue
Alice interview
McGee Dissed id.
I'll email it to ya if ya want?

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-27-2000 11:35 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Story line?

F*CK THAT!!!

It's real simple:

Kill everything that moves!

xanthan
Sarge
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 12:23 AM     Profile for xanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Iam pretty sure that its a brand new engine.
Posts: 1051 | From: US | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 08-28-2000 02:09 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I sent a big long winded e-mail to the PQ Mailbag a few days ago... they didn't publish it though because it hardly made sense

Anyway, there's a lot of stuff going on with Doom3 (or whatever's it's going to be called). First of all, the two coolest things about Doom were the hordes of monsters, literally dozens on the screen at a time, all attacking you. And Doom could do this because it used sprites (2D pics for monsters). How is Doom3 going to capture that situation using polygons? They'd have to keeps plenty of characters on screen at the same time, yet still keep them looking great and high-poly.
Also, Doom was awesome because it was new. When it all boils down to it, Q3A is a modified Q2, and Q2 was a modified Quake (the extremes, I know). But if Doom is another shoot, get key, open door, repeat game then I don't know how well it'll go.

... id has never really disappointed gamers in the past, though.

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 08-28-2000 03:38 AM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Redlemons...yeah I agree with all that...except one thing I perosnally think that Q3A was abit disapointing...(dont get em wrong I love id)
Also I am pritty sure they are going to use the Q3 engine..maybe a modified version but still the Q3 engine...I heard it somewhere..

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 08-28-2000 09:35 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doom had a storyline?
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
xanthan
Sarge
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 01:18 PM     Profile for xanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About as much as Evil Dead had

"Hey lets go into the woods"
*bad things happen*

Posts: 1051 | From: US | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
PrincessGummy
Sarge
Member # 1951

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 08:52 PM     Profile for PrincessGummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with cyborg all the way hehe...i just like shooting the people! woohoo...i loved doom...i miss playing it and actually being challenged on all of them...

------------------

*have some gummy slime*

Posts: 507 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 08-29-2000 01:08 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course I was disappointed with Q3A! That's why I played it for 2 weeks and then uninstalled it.

But do guys still think Doom's way of playing (shoot everything that moves) would still be fun today? I'm not so sure...

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2000 02:52 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i still enjoy playing quake 2 missions
i think i'd enjoy doom 3
i'm hoping they use a diff engine though
although, i did read an interview where jcarmac quoted doom3 was being built from total scratch.
does that include the engine er not?
ehh< i hope so
i don't like seeing much of the same stuff
but who knows.
storyline wise,
heheh, i've only red a storyline once, and after i started playing the game, i never looked back. so the storyline doesn't really concern me.
fps games have always interested me.
i can only picture a fps game going around shooting people. so that's wut i expect from doom3. i remember a lot about that game. if its different, then i'm gonna be happy. if its teh same, i'm stilll gonna be happy. because i liked it way back then, i'll still like it now, especially with today's graphics.
i also red whoa, is it read, or red for past tense? i dunno how to spell.
anywyas, i also red that they were pointing towards a requirement of 128 ram, a somewhat equivilant of a geforce ddr, and 700 mhz cpu.
wtf? does that seem a lil high?
heheh,
anybody read the same articles i did?

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2000 11:24 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, Doom 3 is being built from scratch...totally new engine.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is gonna be based one the Q3 engine (but isn't being done by id)

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-29-2000 12:03 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
farkin' flood control and packet loss pisses me off!!!

[This message has been edited by Cyborg6 (edited 08-29-2000).]

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-29-2000 12:05 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You will need a 1Ghz CPU just to get the eye candy rich freakin' wireframes to cycle I bet!

Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 08-29-2000 03:13 PM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raven are doing Wolfenstien....yeah they are using the Q3 engine..
I am glad they are not using the Q3 engine for Doom3....hope they put some original stuff in it to..also really REALLY hope the music is cool along the same lines as the original cos that music was soo cool.....Whatever happens its gonna be a cool game cos A) its made by id
B) Its got Doom infront of it

PrincessGummy
Sarge
Member # 1951

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2000 08:27 PM     Profile for PrincessGummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
------
But do guys still think Doom's way of playing (shoot everything that moves) would still be fun today?
------

yES!

------------------

*have some gummy slime*

Posts: 507 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 08-29-2000 11:04 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I doubt it'll still have the feeling that Doom and Doom2 had, but hey, I'm still going to buy it. For the same reasons as Mithrandir.

PlanetQuake's Doom3 article. A good read.

Doom's music rocked lol. those midis were great

[This message has been edited by Redlemons (edited 08-29-2000).]

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-30-2000 12:51 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raven IS NOT doing Rturn to Castle Wolfenstein. It is a group called Grey Matter Interactive Studios. Just thought you'd like to know for sure
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 08-30-2000 02:14 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow....I don't usually read articles that are that long...heheh but I did this time.

Looks like it's gonna be a great game.

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 08-30-2000 05:35 AM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am pritty sure they are....hold on...[searching]..no your right...fuck I was sure Raven were doing it..hmmm..doh... umm anyway...I am sure it wont have the feel of the old games...unless they used the same engine (sheeeya right) anyway...I gotta a worry though it seems that two of the big guys at id dont wanna do it..so i mean thats gotta have an effect on the game...?Anyway this is getting boring now...
P.S. if u wanna download the old Doom music in midi form its here at http://www.geocities.com/gruntwd/deimos.htm

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-30-2000 02:16 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just a shame that those 2 used their power of majority and fired Paul Steed for wanting to do it, and then Johnny C. comes up and says "WE ARE DOING IT!"

Now it kinda makes it all look bad and poor Steedy a martyr.

Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 08-30-2000 06:24 PM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I know...that was kinda stupid...seems like he was one of the best at what he did...there loss...(and ultimatly ours)
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 08-31-2000 03:57 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Paul Steed was the modeller or skinner or something wasn't he?
It'd be cool if they could hire him again... though it'd be weird, to say the least.

Let me get this straight. They fired Paul Steed because he wanted to do Doom3, and no one else did. And now they want to do Doom3?

Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 08-31-2000 04:28 AM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It worked like this...abotu half of id wanted to do Doom3 that half included j.cormack and p.steed ....and others...but a.cormack and kevin cloud...(who own 50% of id) didnt want to....then J.Cormack gave an ultimatum to A.Cormack and K.Cloud if we dont do Doom3 we leave...so they gave in...but as a result Paul Steed got fired...(kinda retaliation type thing)anyway its all here (from Kevin Clouds point of view anyway)

Name: Kevin Cloud
Email: kevinc@idsoftware.com
Description: Artist
Project:
Last Updated: 06/02/2000 11:40:12 (Central Standard Time)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems like every id game is marked with some great conflict.
Paul Steed is one of the most vocal and controversial people in
gaming. Therefore, it is not surprising that his departure from
id would also be controversial.

John and I have strongly disagreed in the past. We have worked
out our disagreements and we will do so again. In the end we are
all excited about working on DOOM and committed to making a great
game.

Although Adrian and I alone made the decision to fire Paul, it
is the general opinion among the rest of id that we made the right
decision. Paul was not fired as a result of his support for DOOM.
Other people at id supported DOOM in the exact same manner. For
several reasons it was time for id software and Paul Steed to
part company.

This should have no reflection on Paul's talent as an artist.
It goes without saying that he is one of the best modeler/animators
in the gaming business.

As owners of this company, it is our responsibility to make these
types of difficult decisions. Adrian and I made the decision we
believe is in the best interest of the company.

John and I have agreed to disagree, put our differences behind us
and move on to make DOOM the best game we can make it.

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 09-04-2000 02:11 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Know what'd be really funny?
If they didn't use a 3D engine, but made a new 2.5D engine just like the 'ol D00M engines =D

------------------

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com