next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » New Netword Card

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Netword Card
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 08-18-2000 02:39 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought a 3Com HomeConnect, Home Network Ethernet Adapther (Model 3C450).

It's a 10/100mbps card, far superior to my D-Link 10mbps card.

My average ping to my first hop was 27, my new ping is 24. Doesn't seem like much but now when I play quake 3 I get VERY little packetloss... man it's so kewl...I was getting like 2-10% before...

It's time to play some RA3 and see what it really is!

Does anyone else have a good network card or upgraded network cards?

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-18-2000 03:00 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man I was under the impression that nothing very revolutionary has happened with network cards in a long time and that there really isn't much of a difference between the cards...

Perhaps I really should start finding out...

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 08-18-2000 03:04 AM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the 10mbps D-Link card and last night while surfing the web it was slower than hell. I decided to just shut-down and dust out the inside of my case and just for general purposes I moved it from the first slot right under my agp v3/2000 to the bottom slot, more to give the voodoo more airflow than anything but when I re-booted and went back to the web, it was loading pages faster than I've ever seen it load. Maybe it was getting a bit too warm right under the V3 heatsink, I dunno.
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 08-18-2000 04:05 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I thought the same thing... all network cards pretty well work the same, so what's the big deal...

Well I looked at the cards, they are designed totally different. This new modem has one central chip like a CPU, the other one D-Link has several chips. The 3Com probably does everything itself depending very little on the CPU, whereas the D-Link may depend on the CPU, just like stupid old win-modems. Just a thought, but I definetly think the 3Com does a far better job at handling more packets etc at once.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-18-2000 08:27 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kinda like active and passive ISDN cards then....

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-18-2000 08:41 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do not believe any of what you say TheKiller. It must be something else that is lagging you.

But we will see. I have a D-Link 10 and will be connection to ADSL soon. I will keep you updated.

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 08-18-2000 01:25 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL @ Cy

Seriously Cy, this card is far better than the other one. I did the two tests as close together as I could and I got those two results.

One card is better than the other in what network cards do. Lemme quote what I said on F3d

quote:

RA3 loved my new Card... I played on a typical server and got between 0 and 1% packetloss throughout the whole hour I played. I never saw a red line in my lago-meter. I'm soooooooooo happy
Yeah, I thought the same thing, like what's the differnce... well this new card probably handles packets a lot more efficiently dealing with collisions, and packet order.

I've put in bold the important part of this discussion.

------------------
...TheKiller

LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-18-2000 01:29 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
intel token express 16/4...
it has a constant 16meg ring that isnt limited by the slowest computer....and each machine acts as its own server...
10 baseT cards are limited unless you set aside a computer to be a server...
so far ive found the 100 meg thing to be unrealistic if your running more than 5 or so computers...and the hubs/mau's are over priced for the 100mhz connection...
i guess the sad thing is that i cant find a wireless connection or any common place connection to the web to have anything but an ethernet..i guess it wouldnt matter anyway, the isp limits the bandwidth so youll be lucky to ever see a connection thats over an isdn...
but for a lan party, you cant beat it....

LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-18-2000 01:39 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
of course...i havent used ethernet since the p5-100 came out.... so i couldnt tell you whats good and bad anymore... but ive has nothing but success since i started using 16/4's... i just wish that the technology wouldve dropped the prices and they wouldve been more mainstream...
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-18-2000 01:42 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Killer~ I guess it does make some sense if it relates to the WIN Modem CPU drain concept. It also might make sense for someone with massive amounts of bandwidth like those who have cable in areas without limits. But would it matter for someone like me with a 144Kbps Up/608Kbps down ADSL connetion? Also would a D-Link 10Mbps Card lag a Celeron 400 with a TNT-2 and 128 Megs of RAM @ 66Mhz BUS speeds?

I guess I am unsure now. When I get this ADSL connection turned on I will check it out. I want to by one of the home routers with flashed prom internal drivers. WinPoet drivers or whatever they call them are still in their beta stages. Also you can just hook up another unit to it and phone for a home LAN without Sygate lag annoyances.

LaG is Hell!

------------------
I can almost smell the ocean now... and that Mac n' fries...

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 08-18-2000 02:01 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree: Lag is Hell

I don't know if you will notice any difference... I think you will though, either it's wishful thinking or web pages load faster on it.

------------------
...TheKiller

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-18-2000 10:43 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
one thing to remember is packet loss is not JUST due to your NIC but also due to line noise (in the cable and the CAT5) as well as interior system noise (power supply being the biggest culprit). I dunno too much about D-Link cards but I never noticed a difference from going from a ISA 10BaseT a PCI 100BaseT...btw, I do highly recommend Kingston NICs
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com