Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » I want to Quake!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I want to Quake!
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-15-2000 02:28 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.dslreports.com/dsldata/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000864-4.html
Ski11z
Sarge
Member # 756

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2000 04:13 AM     Profile for Ski11z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
poor cy =(

you can come over any time for quake..

Posts: 731 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-15-2000 08:38 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh! Heh!

Thanks skillz

------------------
I can almost smell the ocean now... and that Mac n' fries...

Mutley
Sarge
Member # 212

Rate Member

posted 08-15-2000 03:37 PM     Profile for Mutley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
God I hate unions............

Posts: 232 | From: Neverneverland | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2000 04:25 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't even get me started on union bashing...

Having grown up where my father was in union and having belonged to unions myself, it deffinately is the only true way to be able to appreciate them. The argument is it protects shitty workers. Sure, that is true. To an extent. But if there is just cause to fire someone, it will be done! My old supervisor and I got into an argument and he tried saying that union workers are uneducated. I just laughed at him and said what gorious education got him his job (he was making a marginal amount more than me) and then another guy I worked with said "Hmmmm....last time I checked teachers and doctors are unionized aren't they?" The fact of the matter is unions are there to protect the workers. The negative aspect comes from workers with poor work ethics and just as poor an attitude. Imagine your company deciding to give a 30% wage decrease right across the board...what would you do? You shouldn't have to look for a new job due a companies mismanagement and overspending...nor should you have what you had taken away form you.

But then again, any social program should be scrapped too then. Cause if you are on welfare you are either an irresponsible whore or a lazy bum. If you are on unemployment you are a perpetual screwup and a drain on society. If you are on workers comp. you are a clutz and a hazard anyway...sounds stupid to categorize one institute based on a few unworthy members doesn't it?

The fact of the matter is, there are very educated, capable and extremely reliable workers in unions. And for the most part, any company that has a union...there is a reason for it!

Kinda wierd how most people i know who are against unions were all for them until they got into some form of a management position too...

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-15-2000 06:58 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ive worked for 2 different unions and ive seen first hand their faults...
individual effort is unrewarded and even though you may be the better person for the job, you havent worked there long enough and sombody from another dept. will get the job even though they've never been involved in the process.... thats a sad way to run a company.
i know alot of people in "unions" and the bulk of them have this attitude that they dont have to do it because its not what they're hired for.... i'll send anyone under me packing if they pull that crap....
i know that in a certain unions, that you could refuse the work and still draw unemployment... ive got a friend who works 6mo. then quits for 6mo and draws unemployment...he had the nerve to bitch just once about his taxes for the unemployment... i let him have it w/ both barrels....
the taxes he payed in while he was employed were payed back in unemployment then he was mad because he had to pay taxes on it... what an ass.... he made around 10k more than me but payed less in taxes overall
screw him and the tax evading union jerks he works with....
i now make more than he does but its because of individual achievement not because the guy next to me got a pay raise and im just happen to be in the same dept.
unions are a thing of the past and their usefulness is history as well... i cant see the justification in paying a guy who sorts bolts or one who turns screws into a piece of wood making 20 - 25$ per hr...
this is why all the mfrs. are going across the borders...
a power plant nearby just locked out the union and hired in qualified workers off the street... they save millions in the first year, that savings was passed on to the customers and the individual service was increased.... there were no more walk-outs or strikes to hinder the public....
there going away and if your not a journeyman, you dont have a chance.... the world is full of smart people that are willing to work at less wages and companies are realizing this...
soon to follow the lower wages is a lower cost of living....
face it, theyll either be gone or the work will be.... its only smart buisness practice...
sry, you hit a nerve..

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2000 01:11 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am beginning to think we are not on the same page here now...I personally am referring NOT to working out of union halls. My father or example is a dual-ticketed journeyman machinist-millwright of 26 years working in a powerplant primarily doing turbine and boiler maintenance. He has never worked out of a union hall. Nor have I. Any job I had pertaining to unions is a condition of employment at the company is joining the union. Therefore, in such a case, refusing work is not an issue. I personally personally would never work out of a union hall though as I feel if I don't have the ambition to get a job on my own, then maybe I wouldn't be a worthwhile employee in the first place...so before total union bashing occurs, there must be an understanding as there are two types of unionization.

And as for their usefulness ending...recently there was a situation hre in Canada where the company wanted a 30% wage rollback. Is that fair? FUCK NO!! The union stepped in on behalf of the employees. Sure, they were making $30/hour to deliver beer...but why would the company give them such a contract if they couldn't maintain it. Think of it...30%!!! Individually all they could do was look for new jobs...but why should they have to?

[This message has been edited by Snag (edited 08-16-2000).]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2000 01:36 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, let's look at this from both perspectives. One, a Union helps maintain good working conditions, ensures that workers get the kinds of benefits they need etc. . . Two, People abuse the Union privileges by. . . well for lack of a better term, slacking off.

Maybe a little history will help. . . Unions, when they evolved form the Guild System, helped to create safer working conditions in the factories during the Industrial Revolution. This was a good thing. Lately Unions have been using Strikes to get more and more in wages and benefits out of employers. . . this is bad thing. When you force an business owner to pay more and more for wages and benefits, you start to lose your job security, because as the employer pays more in wages, his profit margin drops, he begins to lose money. He'll eventually start haveing to lay off his employees because he cannot afford to pay them. This is why everybody complains about the Unions.

If it weren't for BC Ferries Corporation I wouldn't be able to live. I live in an area that is 9 miles from Vancouver, yet am seperated by a HUGE peninsula, there is no overland route to the city. All of the food that comes to my town is brought over on "The Ferry". Whenver the Ferry Workers Union decides to go on strike, it paralyzes my small community. I can identify with LoP.

I live in a logging town, I'm surrounded by Unions, I see the good that they do. I have a friend who at one point worked at a log sort(not a place you want to work). The place is run by idiots who have no respect for the workers. The workers were compensated by excellent benefits, safe (as safe as can be we using chainsaws, skidders, cranes, log booms, and massive mulchers anyway)working condidtions, and wages bordering on hazard pay. They deserve it all, believe me, I've seen what they do all day. I can identify with Snag.

Unions are a double edged sword, they bring good and bad with them. . . and you can't have one without the other. We need them, but we can't stand them.

------------------

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2000 01:49 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snag, you hit the submit button before me, now I must kill you. . . my whole post is defunct!!! I spent at least a minute composing that. . . DIE!!!!

------------------

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2000 02:51 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I ever have a post as long as those DON'T READ IT!
hahah

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 08-16-2000 12:23 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys have good points. You should post over in that thread! You don't even have to register over there.

What's the matter killer? Afraid to do a little thinking? =P

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2000 11:41 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TK, afraid to think, I think that his problem is that he thinks too much and too fast. He probably turns about 6 gigaflops in his sleep!!

------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com