Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 07-23-2000 06:42 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well after a few false starts anyway.

First, my kybd doesn't want to work with the new system.
My Floppy Drive is fucked so I can't install my Logitech mouse drivers.

but everything else is super.

Here's the run down on the current setup.

PIII 667 133mHz Coppermine Slot-1
Asus P3V4X mobo VIA Apollo Pro, Jumperfree, goes to 1GHz, and can handle 2GB of pc133 SDRAM.
Currently 128MB PC133
20GB Maxtor DiamondMax HDD, 5400rpm ATA66 (it's nice and quite too)
18" Case
50x CDROM
P.O.S. Graphics w/ Monster 3D passthru

------------------

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
DOC HOLIDAY
Sarge
Member # 1146

Rate Member

posted 07-23-2000 11:30 AM     Profile for DOC HOLIDAY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still can't decide on the new video card eh?

Sounds like a smokin' system aside from the graphics HW.

Later...

------------------
"I'm your huckleberry."

Mike2
Sarge
Member # 139

Rate Member

posted 07-27-2000 12:58 AM     Profile for Mike2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great motherboard. It's the same one I have.

PIII 550 100Mhz Katmai Slot-1
128 MB Pc100
8.4 GB HDD, 5400 RPM
Huge friggin Case
40x CDROM
8x4x24 writer
V770 TNT2U

Unfortunatly, it doesn't like my sound card. I currently have a Diamond sonic impact s90, which sounds great, but it keeps freezing up my computer when I play any media (with the exception of cd-audio) and click a pull-down menu or maximize/minimize. Time to get me one of those sblive cards.

-Mike2

Posts: 249 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 07-27-2000 02:28 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know that I said I was going to take some time away from this place, but I just can't resist, it's like my home away from home. . .

Yeah Doc, it totally smokes. . . Espescially after my Pentium 100. I got the logitech drivers off the net, so that's all good now. Quake 3 works with the Monster 3D even though it's 4-5 years old, and has only 4MB RAM. And I found out my floppy is broken, thank god they're cheap. Anyway, it's up and running, and I'm going to build my liquid cooling unit now then I'll see how fast it really goes.

BTW, I decided on an Asus V6800 Pure GeForce Pro DDR. Pure meaning it doesn't have all the TV in/out shit that I don't need.

BTW Anyone know the difference 'tween a GeForce Pro and a GeForce 256. Or are they the same thing.

------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 07-27-2000 04:11 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Acid-d00d, what did you do to get q3a running with a Voodoo1? I tried to help a friend of mine, that is "graphically challenged" also, but we just couldn't get it going.

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 07-27-2000 05:15 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i once had a vodoo
alls i did was dl'd the stuff from uhh opengl.com? nono, glsetup
yah glsetup
and that made it work for q3 n stuff

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 07-27-2000 06:18 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's quite amazing... the old monster 3d works... I was shocked too... he gets about 25-45 fps with his beast. His other card is just a 2 meg card...heheheh. I even beat hardcore bots on his computer...hehe 10 to 3 (on q3dm1)

Acid, I think the 256 is just saying the card is 256 bits, which I think they both are... it's just hype.

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
DOC HOLIDAY
Sarge
Member # 1146

Rate Member

posted 07-27-2000 08:31 AM     Profile for DOC HOLIDAY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool AW, I have the Asus V3800 TNT2 Ultra Deluxe!

That baby has it all, TV in/out, 3D glasses and goes like a scared rabbit. The TV in has been great for me seeing as I no longer havea TV set. Just plug the cable into the back of me VCR a couple of hook up and BAM! I'm watchin' Star Trek: TNG and surfin the web all in one. I like it!

Good luck with the new PC. We'll have to go online sometime and compare FPS.

Later all!

------------------
"I'm your huckleberry."

[This message has been edited by DOC HOLIDAY (edited 07-27-2000).]

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 07-27-2000 11:07 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Smokin'
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 07-27-2000 11:52 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grumps is right, you HAVE to run GLsetup to get it working. And actually TK, I've had it as high as 60 or 70 FPS on some levels. The quality isn't as good as it could be, but the card is limited. I can't wait for a new one. Hell, that'll be a week from Saturday (I think).

------------------

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 07-28-2000 05:25 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doc I have a V3800 TVR too... but not the Ultra Deluxe. Mine didn't come with VR Glasses, but did come with the port for them. I have TV in/out, and sometimes play diablo II with the TV on in the corner... it's pretty kewl. I don't suggest watching tv and playing quake 3 at the same time ...heheheh

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 07-28-2000 09:51 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got one of them Asus V3800U cards too, no TV out or VR glasses either. It would be nice to try them out though...

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 07-28-2000 12:08 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guys, I have a problem . . . it's one that I've never come across before. I have a Sound Blaster 16, and when in Windows the sound is all crackly and shit. It's fine when I play games, and even when I play Cd's. Also in Windows when I play MP3's the sound is crackly and when I move the mouse or access a menu it totally distorts. HELP!!!! Do I need a new soundcard?

------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 07-31-2000 09:02 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid, the GeForce256 and the GeForce Pro are the same chip, it is the memory that is different. The Pro simply identifies the unit as using DDR memory.

And I saw my Hercules 64MB DDR GeForce 2 in Minot, ND this weekend (I went down there for the State Fair, to show Yankees how to really drink and to drool at the sight of Christina Aguilera at the concert oh baby oh baby oh oh oh ) The only problem with that board was this: $420 US! Which works out to be like $1 million Canadian...or something like that. Either way, it is too damn expensive for me (unless I get this job back in Calgary...pray for me )

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-01-2000 01:23 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info Tk, Snag. It's interesting.

TK, there is one thing you should note. Remember how you told me that Asus has no V6800 pure. They do, the difference between the V6600 and the V6800 is that the V6800 is the DDR version. The V6600 comes in two varieties. SDRAM and SGRAM.

Snag, I think that Creative has the Annihilator 2 with 64mb DDR. . . hang on I'll check. . . still checking (damn 56k) . . .

------------------

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-01-2000 02:20 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
uhh, i dont' think creative labs went for the 64 ddr
but
as for teh hercules
you can get it for 340$ us, n that's with the tv out stuff

i dunno wut that comes to in canadian?
lets see here

hmm

340/x = 420/1,000,000

hmm
340,000,000/420
uhh
34,000,000/42

uhh . . .
lets think real quick
uhhhh . . .
oops, brain fried
sorry

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2000 01:29 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No I'm fairly sure that Creative has the Annihilator 2 w/ 64MB DDR. I know I've seen it somewhere. I think it was on the list we get from our computer parts supplier at work.

I know I saw it somwhere. . . it was only $399 canadian too. I'd get it but I'm too cheap.

You know something though I'm pretty sure that Creative labs is based in Canada. . . so if they do have it, it would probably be available here first.

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2000 04:25 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid, reading your little thing about the soundcard, my old SB32 PnP did the same thing...anytime i would scroll through a webpage the sound would get crackly and herky jerky. After I got my Live! card that all went away. I think that is basically because the signal processor and everything about the card is much better. I recommend looking for an OEM version of the Live! Last July I picked mine up for $75CDN through an OEM so it might even be less in your area now. Highly recomend it (as EAX is kinda cool )
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2000 11:31 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not all that sure that it's the signal processor, I picked up a $30 soundcard just to see if maybe my comp didn't like my SB16. It works fine now. The problem now is that I can't have the playlist open when I try to move Winamp because it gets all distorted. Although I think that might have something to do with the graphics card and not the Soundcard.

------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2000 12:10 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just confirmed the Graphics card part. . . I changed resolutions from 1024x768 to 800x600 and the distortion was less, I think it just doesn't have enough display memory. I can't wait till saturday.
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2000 05:15 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com