next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » SB Live X-Gamer 5.1

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SB Live X-Gamer 5.1
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 07-23-2001 09:29 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey. Just like to start by saying this sound card rocks. Also i was just wondering something bout EAX. Is it automatically turned on when you start the game (If the game supports it)? ALl i knows is i can make any game use whatever EAX feature I want or make my own. Its all kewl my games like UT and stuff supposedly support EAX and i was just wondering if it turns itself on?. Quake3 don't use it i don't think automatically... ne one help me on this?
Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ski11z
Sarge
Member # 756

Member Rated:

posted 07-24-2001 12:02 AM     Profile for Ski11z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i hope that UT stands for Urban Terror

sorry i cant help you with this, but i'm getting the SB Live 5.1... wuts the difference?

who's the happy little elf that will answer our questions >=)

Posts: 731 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 07-24-2001 01:09 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well Ski11z, it goes like this. . .

The X-Gamer is the Platinum with the music software or the LiveDrive. . . the MP3 is the Platinum without the Game Bundle or the Live Drive.

In otherwords, they're all the same. I think the Live! 5.1 is just the basic card without the games or MP3 software.

Oh, and UT stands for UnrealTournament in this case.

Sinister. . . you have to have the AutoEAX program running. I think that it's set to run at startup when you first install the card. . . if it is, it'll be in the system tray. If not, then open up AudioHQ and double click. This program HAS to be running in order to use EAX in games

Double click on the system tray icon to bring up the program window. Next to the box that says Application, there is a button with three dots. . . click it. Now you have to find the executable that launches the game, remember. . . I'm talking about the .exe file, not a shortcut. In the case of UT, then the executable is in the system directory of the game directory (mine is: c:\games\UnrealTournament\system) the file is called UnrealTournament.exe.

You'll notice that you can now select the bottom two boxes. First set the number of speakers to use. The, in the box called "Linked Audio Preset", scroll down till it you see three items:

PlayEAX Game- *Disable EAX
PlayEAX Game- Light Effects
PlayEAX Game- Normal Effects

Pick one. . . then you can hit close and you'll get the EAX effects in game. If you want more EAX presets, you'll have to download the latest drivers and stuff from Creative.

I like the card too

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 07-24-2001 06:21 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thx. I got that done with Starcraft/Quake3/UT/Diablo2 and almost everygame i got now. My friend said he has teh reg SB Live and can't do half the stuff i can with this card... and i only payed like $40 more and got 4 games.
Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ski11z
Sarge
Member # 756

Member Rated:

posted 07-24-2001 05:20 PM     Profile for Ski11z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what do u mean by "half the stuff i can do with this card"?

shouldnt the sound quality be all the same? since they're all the same 5.1?

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 07-25-2001 01:05 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sin, does your friend have the Live, or the Live5.1?

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 07-25-2001 06:28 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Woops sorry.. He was over today and I let him fool around with the sound card and stuff. He don't have a SB Live. He only has a SB 128 PCI or something like that. Oh well. BTW ne one know of a good surround sound speaker set for my com that isn't to expensive?
Ski11z
Sarge
Member # 756

Member Rated:

posted 07-25-2001 05:48 PM     Profile for Ski11z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i was just recently checking out some new speakers as well

go for some Cambridge Soundworks speakers (by creative). i'm probably gonna get the FPS1500 or FPS1800, their prices are quite attractive. from $100 (for the fps1500) and $130 (for the fps1800) ... all in Canadian of course. the FPS2000 Digital set is in the $220 range. im not sure what you mean by expensive, but these are some pretty good choices. IMO of course.

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 07-26-2001 06:24 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Expensive = $200 around. hehe. I got a set of Cambridge Speakers now (and woofer) but i want the surround sound. If they are that cheap then wicked cause i can sell the ones i got now for bout $40 or $50 depending on how much i spend on a new pair. Where did you get these prices to? I more then likly are going to order online... Futureshop had crap all for speakers.
Ski11z
Sarge
Member # 756

Member Rated:

posted 07-26-2001 04:07 PM     Profile for Ski11z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, if you live in Canada, i suggest: http://www.ncix.com or http://www.a-power.com

i prefer ncix.. they do price matching

If you live in the states: http://www.pricewatch.com

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 07-26-2001 05:31 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea I know bout NCIX to. There prices are the best. There is a place in town that said they would match the price and order in the speakers i want. So im going to show them NCIX.com and get them to match that i think.
Ski11z
Sarge
Member # 756

Member Rated:

posted 07-26-2001 07:10 PM     Profile for Ski11z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's cool. There are actually places that are cheaper than NCI Computers (VERY few). A-Power has a few items that are cheaper. I know that their ASUS GeForce3's are about $50 cheaper than NCI's.

Well, it's your choice. BTW, what set of speakers are you going with? If you get one the FPS series, tell me how it sounds

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com