Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » HELP ME SOMEBODY!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP ME SOMEBODY!
[sF] Agret
Visor
Member # 2441

Rate Member

posted 06-08-2001 03:56 PM     Profile for [sF] Agret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Evry Time I Click On MUltiplayer MY Computer Freezes When I'm Not Online And I Want To Know If There Is Any Console Command To Bring Up The LAN Games Screen Also Whenever I Try To Play A Mod I Got 2 Days Ago It Exits Back To The Title Screen Yet 2 Days Ago It Worked Perfectly Do You Know The Reason For This Beacuse I Rellly Want To Play The Mod!

--------------------

How does this work again?
is it this button?
BOOM!
whoops wrong button
BOOM!
I can't find the button
BOOM!
*dies*

Posts: 8 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-09-2001 12:14 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm. . . all I know is that when you go into the Multiplayer section of Q3 is that it looks for any available network connection. If one isn't present, through either dial-up, LAN, or broadband, it locks up. It's actually waiting for a connection to become available, but it won't let you do anything so it's the same thing as a lock up.

As for the mod, are you sure that the server you're trying to connect to is playing that same mod? Maybe the server has switched mods or is now running no mods and is running as a "pure" server.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
[sF] Agret
Visor
Member # 2441

Rate Member

posted 06-09-2001 12:20 AM     Profile for [sF] Agret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
acually i'm not playing on a server i'm playing on local host and yes I have the server and client files

--------------------

is it this button?
BOOM!
whoops wrong button
BOOM!
I can't find the button
BOOM!
*dies*

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-09-2001 01:21 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It still need to look for the network connection, even if it is a LAN. Please verify that the network is working and all that the settings are correct.

Next time you try it, please wait for a few minutes and see if the connection timesout after a minute or two.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
[sF] Agret
Visor
Member # 2441

Rate Member

posted 06-10-2001 03:21 PM     Profile for [sF] Agret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its not a LAN its a game hosted by me by typing in the /map kewl command

--------------------

is it this button?
BOOM!
whoops wrong button
BOOM!
I can't find the button
BOOM!
*dies*

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 06-10-2001 03:50 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so can you create a game olskoo style by clicking on "create" etc . .

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-10-2001 03:57 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got it now, I know what you're trying to do now. Before going into Multiplayer, go into the mods menu and select the mod you want. It'll probably kick back to windows for a sec while it loads the mod then it'll go back to the main menu. Go into multiplayer and hit the space bar to stop the game looking for network connections. Hit create. Select a map you want. Then at the next menu, turn off pure server, and make sure dedicated is set to LAN (or internet if your creating a server for net play). Also make sure that there is no preselected bots/player names (unless you want to play bots, but take your player name out and leave at least on spot as open). Don't forget to give your server a name. Hit Fight, and you'll go back to windows with the quake3 console window open and loaded, you're now running a server.

Next, load an entirely new instance of Q3. . . don't worry it'll work. Go into the multiplayer menu and again hit the space bar. Then from the menu at the top select Local to look for local servers and voila, it should list your server, join and enjoy.

To change maps, heres what you do. Minimze the second instance of Q3 so that you can access the server console. Then just type in the white box at the bottom (without the quotes) "map *mapname*" you don't need to use the slash when in the server console. Then just go back into the second instance of Q3.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-10-2001 08:49 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just thought of something. . .

You don't have to set Dedicated to LAN, just set it to no, and you can play directly in the server you've created, a la single player. Then you don't have to bother with loading another instance of Q3.

[sF] Agret
Visor
Member # 2441

Rate Member

posted 06-13-2001 05:53 PM     Profile for [sF] Agret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've fixed the problem I have to type:

/sv_pure 0

then type

/map kewl

What is a sv_pure 1 server anywayz?

--------------------

is it this button?
BOOM!
whoops wrong button
BOOM!
I can't find the button
BOOM!
*dies*

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 06-13-2001 06:50 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dunno if ne one said it but... If your com is freezing when you click on multiplayer then you might have a firewall up.
Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-14-2001 04:01 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...If you haven't given Q3A rights to acces the net that is. I use Sygate Personal firewall, but I'm allowing Q3A to access the net so it works ok.
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 06-14-2001 04:04 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem, after i had been in an online match, every time i went to the multiplayer screen when i was offline it would 'hang' turned out it had loaded D.U.N. in the background and was waiting to connect to the net.

--------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 06-14-2001 04:06 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
fixed it by going online, then to the mplayer screen and changing the type to lan play instead of dial up

--------------------

[sF] Agret
Visor
Member # 2441

Rate Member

posted 06-14-2001 05:32 PM     Profile for [sF] Agret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
but then u have to be online to play LAN games thats what I found out.
My Black Ice Firewall won't make any difference beacuse I always turn it off when playing Quake III Arena beacuse every time a server is found I hear the annoying alarm sound LOL And It works when i'm online but not offline perhaps beacuse of the D.U.N in the background? how do I stop that comin up?
when I click on multiplayer (when offline to play LAN) it makes the screen go white and it needs rebooting
HOW DO I STOP D.U.N? I have an idea what if I click on D.U.N but not click connect then it will already be opened so quake III arena can't try to connect and freeze!

--------------------

is it this button?
BOOM!
whoops wrong button
BOOM!
I can't find the button
BOOM!
*dies*

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-15-2001 03:35 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a tip, I found this out the other day.

Load up DUN and go online. Then, load up q3 and go into the multiplayer section. As it's looking for servers just hit space. Then at the top menu, go to the part that says servers:Internet, and change it to local. Quit Q3, and disconnect from the internet. You can now go into the Multiplayer section without DUN coming up. Q3 will only look for servers that are based on your machine, not on the Internet or LAN, and it's usually quick enough to figure out that you don't have any local servers.

Oh yeah. . . sv_pure 1 means that you are forcing a pure server (no mods or third party maps allowed) sv_pure 0 turns that off. It's like binary bits. . . 1=on 0=off.

[sF] Agret
Visor
Member # 2441

Rate Member

posted 06-16-2001 08:36 PM     Profile for [sF] Agret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so a pure server runs faster beacuse it has support for less things ok so ur sayin if I go online like I am now then run quake 3 click on servers until it reaches local then quit then later when i'm not online the multiplayer menu goes straight into local instead of internet?

--------------------

is it this button?
BOOM!
whoops wrong button
BOOM!
I can't find the button
BOOM!
*dies*

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-17-2001 03:13 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exactly

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com