Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Not really quake related but you guys have been cool before so....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not really quake related but you guys have been cool before so....
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-23-2001 06:25 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just clean installed win2000 advanced server on my athlon machine, latest via 4in1 drivers installed allong with directx 8 for win2000 and the latest drivers for my ge-force2. Everything seems fine and dady until i try to run an mpeg video or a dvd (avi's work fine) i play dvd's with winDVD 2000 v2.3 and mpegs with standard win media player.
Problem with the dvd's and mpegs is that they are running slightly too fast, enough to make the sound jitter and be generally too fast and the picture jumps sometimes too...... it's weird, sometimes for one real second winDVD/Media player counts 2 seconds.... and a 35 second mpeg only takes 25 seconds to play...... ehh?

I had no probs with win98se but need 2000 server for my development work

Kayne

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-23-2001 03:29 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you also gotten the registry fix for win2k/Nvidia/Athlon?

You should find it in the downloads section of www.reactorcritical.com..

[ 05-23-2001: Message edited by: Lindi ]

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Broch
Sarge
Member # 370

Member Rated:

posted 05-23-2001 06:56 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Win2K server on personal machine?
Posts: 550 | From: Philly | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-25-2001 09:19 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I havn't downloaded the fix lindi, thanx.

And yes win2000 server on a personal machine. I need to run IIS for asp's and an SQL server database and OLEDB connectios for it...... And no, you can't do it on 2000 professional or 98 or me because i have tried and i don't want nt server because no direct x support

--------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-25-2001 09:25 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, reactor critical is down

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-26-2001 06:28 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's the alternative: http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon-duron/amd_win2k_patch.html

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-29-2001 11:11 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx lindi, will try that tonight! This is pissing me right off 'cause win2k fixed all my problems with win '98 but has just provided me with a completeley new and unique problem, i can't win. bloody microsoft

--------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-29-2001 02:20 PM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No joy there
Tried re-booting after patching the reg and still no good

I want to watch my monty python dvd's goddamnit

Kayne

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Kayne ]

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Kayne ]

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-30-2001 01:14 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm lost my w2kPRO runs DVD's and mpg's with out a hitch...
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-30-2001 02:35 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't understand it either, i mean, i've heard of dvd's running too slowly, but nothing like this!

Kayne

--------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-30-2001 04:23 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm just gonna dual boot to '98.... just to watch vid's, what a pain in the arse

Kayne

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Kayne ]

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-30-2001 07:19 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tried reinstalls and different DVD players etc. etc. before wasting space on dualbooting, just for DVD's that is.
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-30-2001 07:38 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've tried winDVD, several versions, i havn't tried power dvd yet, might be worth a try but i find winDVD is beter picture quality so i really want that if a can.... still powerDVD is better than no dvd at all

I managed to get a 500mb disk (just big enough! ) and some drive caddies from work so i can have a swappable boot disk, just to save an ide channel.

Kayne

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com