Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Borked Win2K - Desperately need help!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Borked Win2K - Desperately need help!
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-04-2001 03:29 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mornin' all...

Well, I woke up this morning, felt around for my shoes, and went to school. After school, though, I come back and Win2K Professional just doesn't work any more.

It does the whole BIOS thingo, gets to the 'Windows is loading' part, with the horizontal boxes, the bar goes across them to say it's loading, and then it just hangs there. I've tried repairing the installation, but it dooesn't help at all. Safe mode and debugging mode don't do anything, either does command prompt- they all just hang at exactly the same spot.

I really, really, really don't want to have to reformat because there's so much stuff I can't afford to lose (me not having a CD burner and me being stupid enough not to bother partitioning).

It's a:
PentiumIII 550E, 128MB, 12GB Seagate, 48X CD, clean install of Win2000 Professional.

Anyone got any ideas at all?

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-04-2001 04:00 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lemme guess, you didn't bother with the recovery/startup disks either?

Anyway it seems very strange if "safe mode" also hangs. Um, did you do any updating or such before the problems started?

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-04-2001 04:13 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd stay well away from system recovery disks myself! I sure-fire way of loosing everything.

If you re-install win2000 from a win2000 install cd it should keep all your data and program files stuff. If you're worried about loosing stuff you could whack a dos boot disk in it and copy anything you need to another directory At the command prompt.. I just hope you're not using NTFS instead of FAT16/32

Kayne

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: Kayne ]

--------------------

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-04-2001 09:54 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
w00t
Finally got it working, as per usual I'm not totally sure how, but it had something to do with the repair console and the knowledge base

Thx Lindi & Kayne

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-07-2001 03:14 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kayne:
I'd stay well away from system recovery disks myself! I sure-fire way of loosing everything.
[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: Kayne ]

Eh.., poor wording on my part... meant system disks that you create under the isntallation.

Red ~ What did you do to fix the problem? I mean did you find out what the problem was?

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-08-2001 12:30 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's hard to say what fixed it...

I eventually discovered that it's a hard disk problem, not really a driver issue or any shafted software. I got it to boot from the CD and then messed around in the Setup Windows options.

I have the worst feeling that it upgraded Win2K Professional to Win2K Professional, and that was what fixed it, but I'm not doing anything about it. I'm sure it's not a good thing, really, but everything seems to be working A-OK so it's a relief. Once I get a CD burner (hopefully in the next few months) I'll reformat and fix this up properly.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-08-2001 02:48 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if you used the same installation directory (C:\WINNT) then there shouldn't be any harm done.

You should check your enviroment variables to see what directory is used as your windows dir. I guess the worst that might have taken place, according to your description is that you currently have two windows directories, making the other one a waste of space.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com