Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Web hosting, prefferably free.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web hosting, prefferably free.
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-02-2001 08:59 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, this up&coming ADSL connection seems to be a great source of threads for me.

My contract will not include web space for my html pages, so naturaly I'm looking for web space.., the criterias are at least that the service will allow linking pictures to out side pages (my sig image...). It would be a big bonus if the service also was free, and dependable.

What would you guys suggest and why, please write a 100 word esse on why you chose the service you did.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-02-2001 10:27 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't choose Angelfire.
Why?
Look at my sig...

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-02-2001 01:10 PM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know a guy on cable who uses his own machine to host his site as it's on 24/7 and it's as free as it gets.
He's using nt server and iis. His ip is supposed to change daily but doesn't. He can get to his site by typing http://hisip/sitename/ It's quite fast too.

If you think having your ip as a domain name is boring, register a redirect domain (you can get these for free).

people might say that having it on your machine could be slow if you get lots of users BUT, as pointed out, isp's and web site hosting peepol aren't reliable either, and how much traffic do you expect at your site, probably not adsl crippling numbers!

If you do this you need to get a good firewall. (I also im not entirely sure that ADSL is a permanent connection, i'm sure someone will be keen to correct me!)

--------------------

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 05-02-2001 01:22 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup ADSL is permanent and it never slows down. : ) Unless the site you connect to is bogged down. No sharing which i love over cable cause when i did have cable... i hardly got over 30k/sec.
Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-02-2001 04:01 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thing is the i.p. is supposed to change, don't know how often.., but he i.p. is dynamic.

I'm going to have to look into firewalls too, "just in case". Thinking about getting Zone Alarm for windows, since it's free. I'm hoping to setup the personal firewall that is bundled with S.u.S.e for Linux.

Anyway I'm just looking for something like Angelfire or Geocities, but a service that would let me link pics.

Red ~ isn't your sig supposed to look like that? I thought it was kinda neat in it's simplicity...

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 05-02-2001 06:24 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My IP hasn't changed for ADSL yet. Still the same one on both of my computers. As for zonealarm. hehe don't leave it on with quake3. You probally know but it locked up my computer. As for free web sites all i have ever used is tripod (Slow as hell now) and geocities always has been fast for me. Just not sure what they offer for MB now.
Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2001 02:35 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've acctually used ZA in the past and quake was okay once I gave it permission to use the net. Other vise the game halted waiting for me to give it permission to access the net.

Anyway remains to be seen if I even need that web space, I've started thinking about my page and desided to put the whole project on ice, untill I have something interresting to put on the site firtst.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2001 04:36 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Lindi, if you want you can host your sig from my webspace. . . it's part of my dad's dialup account, so it's free, fairly fast most of the time, and works 24/7. You can't host a whole site though, not enough space for that, but I think I can squeeze your sig in there if you like.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-03-2001 07:59 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, lately it was supposed to look like that

But originally it was supposed to be a real sig. I think it was just a bright red box with a see through "red" in it, but I can't even be sure!

But I think I'll keep it as a broken image

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 05-03-2001 08:15 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lindi>
once you get you line, monitor your ip for a few days, see if it changes.

keyne

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-04-2001 03:17 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you're interested lindi, ICQ me and I can give you the URL of the space. That way you can have a sig until you find webspace somewhere.

I know, I know. . . it's a long one.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-04-2001 04:08 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Red ~ Ah, it was still in my cache so the image was still showing for me, now I only see the little "red X".

Acid ~ Thanks for the offer, I will prolly take you up on it. I won't be much on ICQ untill next Friday, but after that I won't logout any more!

Anthrax
Sarge
Member # 1342

Rate Member

posted 05-04-2001 07:21 AM     Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.freewebspace.net

--------------------

Haha Even Stomped.com threw me off their server!

http://nms.telefragged.com

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-07-2001 03:17 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awww...

Apparently freewebspace.net allows out side linking to pictures?

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com