Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Quake 3 Arena lock/ freeze up

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quake 3 Arena lock/ freeze up
ytcoinshooter

Member # 0

Rate Member

posted 03-18-2001 08:32 PM     Profile for ytcoinshooter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm playing version 1.27 on a TBIRD 850,128meg,nvida GeForce2 gts 32meg,detonator3 6.49,directx 8, 20gb hard drive7200rpm,SB live value. 3DMark 2000 score of 6273.I've played around with the texure settings but it still locks up often even at 800x600 with medium detail and FSAA off. Are there some solid suggestions anyone can offer? Is it a GL setting? That UT game at 1024x768 never locks up and avg 90 fps. I really like Quake 3 and figured someone here could help. This freezing up is no fun. Thanks.
Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 03-19-2001 12:13 AM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Turn Vsync off and maybe try different det's. I know I have a lot of lock-up's with the 7's but seldom any when I use 6's. That's all I can suggest. Unless it's a heat or power supply issue.
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-19-2001 08:59 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check out the make of your ram.

I have a tbird 1gig, tbirds are VERY fussy about ram, you have to buy the expensive stuff for them to be stable (i have hyundi ram)
It took me ages to figure out what was wrong with mine when ut kept crashing. Hope this helps!

P.s. i don't know how tiny and other such computer companies are going to deal with this, seen as the like to fill their computers with cheap shit components!!

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-20-2001 03:38 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd say start of by getting the latest VIA 4in1 drivers, will make a world of difference.., did for me. You didn't mention OS, but if you are running win2000 surf over to www.reactorcritical.com and get the W2k/Tbird/Nvidia registry fix (can also be found at www.amd.com), finaly try the latest released drivers (Detonator 6.50) from www.nvidia.com.

This is what I have done on my system and the stability is much better now.

My System:
Athlon900
Asus A7Pro
256 Kingston RAM (PC 133)
GeForce2MX 32 Mb
SB64PCI
Asus 8x DVD
Maxtor 40Gb HD
Floppy
Win2000Pro(SP1)
DX8a

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lindi (edited 03-20-2001).]

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
[SS]ArchangeL
Visor
Member # 2241

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2001 08:09 AM     Profile for [SS]ArchangeL   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go into your BIOS. Go to advanced chipset features. Change AGP driving strength to something like E7. Then try that. Ur prolly getting yer lockups cos ur GTS is pulling too much juice from yer AGP on yer mobo, and yer mobo is not set to provide that much power. This will give yer AGP slot more of juice for it to carry out operation as normal.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-27-2001 09:00 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if a power supply issue would cause a lock up, I had one for a brief bit and all it did was cause a SERIOUS drop in framerate, I'm talking down to like 8fps, and even then only on certain maps. Besides, I didn't think the GTS pulls that much more current than a regular Geforce, it's basically the same VCore. But you never know. . . lack of juice can cause all sorts of problems. If it was a GF2Ultra or GF3, then I could see it happening.
Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-28-2001 02:06 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what I've seen an inadequate PS can cause lockups, when the power output isn't strong enough.

Although I witnessed this with an old Asus BX mobo and a TNT2U, I think it can still be accurate with the new cards too.

------------------

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com