Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » !SLOW! Q3 Team Arena !SLOW! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: !SLOW! Q3 Team Arena !SLOW!
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-07-2001 06:06 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have got a 1gig athlon t-bird 256mb ram, and a 64 mb ge-force2.

I just got hold of the quake3 team arena demo and it's pants slow, even on low-ish settings! Whats going on? Why does ut look so much better and run so much faster?? Can n e one help speed it up? as a UT fan willing to give q3 a try i was dissapointed.

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-07-2001 12:09 PM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Me thinks no-one wants to reply to my message

[This message has been edited by Kayne (edited 03-07-2001).]

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-08-2001 01:15 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
methinks you should try the planetquake or quake3world forums or even email techtips@planetquake.com because no one here seems to know the answer
Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2001 02:28 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Me thinks you need to upgrade all the drivers you got, for the os you didn't feel was important to mention in your post.

My point being you need to be a little more specific about your software and hardware, for anybody to be able to help you.

------------------

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2001 02:29 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And to the best of my knowledge, the TA demo does not run as good as the "real" TA.

Dunno if that's hype or not, since I never DLd the demo and TA was released here this week. (sux to live in Finland, eh?)

------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-09-2001 12:10 PM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you for your help. I shall be more specific.

I have:
aOpen ak33 mobo, athlon t-bird 1gig, 256mb hyundi pc133 dims (2 x 128mb), ge-force 2 pro 64mb ddr..... eeerm crappy onboard sound but i don't think thats important, win 98SE, detonator 3 drivers, directx7 (all the most up to date as far as i know, although i've heard dx8 is out but havn't downloaded yet)

I think thats everything that could make a difference, if i've left anything out pls let me know.

[This message has been edited by Kayne (edited 03-09-2001).]

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-09-2001 12:17 PM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Talking of things being released in different countries at different times, i've had enough fun with THAT lateley!
Damned dvd regioning!

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2001 03:22 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I'd suggest downloading DX8, version 8a is also available for download, it's your choice, I didn't see any major differences.

I personally running the 6.50 Detonators, the latest official release and they seem to be working just fine with my GeForce2 MX. You can get them at www.nvidia.com or if you wan't to try different versions of the detonators goto www.reactorcritical.com . there are quite big differences in driver versions some work some don't.

Oh, by the way if the mobo uses the VIA chipset I'd also suggest getting the latest VIA 4in1 drivers. Cured a lot of hickups on my system.

------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2001 03:29 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kayne:
Talking of things being released in different countries at different times, i've had enough fun with THAT lateley!
Damned dvd regioning!

One of the reasons I have put off buing a DVD-rom, I don't which stations are region coded and which aren't.

I think you can however change the code for upto 5 times, even if the station is coded. The DVD-rom issue is total hebrew to me. Trying to find information about this stuff on the net overwhelmed me with info and frankly I was just more confused in the end...

------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-10-2001 01:19 PM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got a demo cd with dx 8, so i will try TA with that, also will get the via drivers! I heard my card manafacturer just released detonator drivers based on ver 7 point something not yet released....???

I'll let you know how it goes.

I ended up firmware hacking my dvd-rom to get it to play multi region, it worked, but it scared the s**t out of me!

Thanx for your help!

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-11-2001 04:42 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Poor uninformed souls...do you not realize the underground community always looks out for the regular joe; contrary to what the press would have you believe.

I have been bypassing the macrovision and dubbing my dvds for over a year...hell, I can even reset the region code on my dvd rom an infinate amount of times hehe

Visual Domain is one such place that provides the means. There Lindi...YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE NOW hehe

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-11-2001 07:44 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snag>
Yeh, thats what my firmware crack enabled me to do, i have also been able to copy dvd's to vhs casset, or onto normal cd-rom regardless of macrovision thanks to flask. Truth is, i hadn't realise my DVD rom drive was region specific till i tried to play a region 1 dvd that i bought off the net, as nowhere in my documentation did it state that that was the case!!

I have also only had a dvd rom drive for a month, so i think i'm doing quite well so far!

Visual domain.... thats where i got some of my stuff from, great site!

[This message has been edited by Kayne (edited 03-11-2001).]

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-11-2001 07:51 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Back to TA!

I have installed ALL the latest drivers now and it's still the same!

I played for ages last nite, and i have decided:

There isn't a speed problem until i use the mouse (so there is a speed problem!!)
When m-looking about i get serious frame tearing, also the case with 'alice' which uses the q3 engine.....

Unfortunateley, i don't have q3a itself yet (i refuse to buy it until it comes out budget, seen as ut has been budget for months now)

[This message has been edited by Kayne (edited 03-11-2001).]

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-11-2001 07:58 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just one more thing before I log off.
This site will only work on my winamp minibrowser, and completeley hangs Ie5... bizzare , will try updating ie!!

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2001 06:34 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
K, I will not put of buying a DVD-rom anymore, I'll get one as soon as I can afford one. Not very expensive anymore... it's just that I'm also thinking of getting a burner. Well all in due time.

------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2001 02:52 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damnit, I could have used CD-burner yesterday, I was about to install Linux. But Yast didn't allow me to partition a NTFS (SFS) filesystem.., since I don't have PartitionMagic 6, I was not able to partition on the fly.

Formating was not an option either, didn't want to loose 5 Gigs of files. So, I'm borrowing an extra HD from a freind of mine and hopefully be able to back my stuff up on that drive momentarily...

I was so living in the illusion that I would be surfing the web with S.u.S.e right now, but that was a little optimistic...

------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-13-2001 04:06 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Count yourself lucky my firend!

I tried to istall mandrake 7 a while back, which claimed to reseze you existing partition without data loss. (i need a cd-w too!!) So there i go letting it merilly blow my stuff away!!! Destroys my windows partition, and then didn't even work itslelf!!!!! DAMNIT

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-13-2001 07:14 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what does texture compression do???

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-15-2001 04:11 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
More on Frame tearing:

I have borrowed q3a off of a friend, played it all last night. I put the graphics settings on the highest detail at 1024-768 and turned the fps counter on. Always Getting well over 90fps sometimes 100fps!!! SO why the frame tearing????? It's not a s bad in q3a as in ta and allice but it's still there!!!!

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-15-2001 07:52 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Frame tearing... is that when there's a line across the screen and you can see one frame in one part, and another frame in the other part? If it is then I've got the same problem, although it doesn't bother me much.
I've always wondered if that was deliberate or just my system, or if I'm going insane...

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-15-2001 08:40 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that checking "sync every frame" in the video menu should reduce the tearing, this does however mean that your framerate will be capped at your monitors maxHz.

Not quite sure though.

------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-16-2001 06:34 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That reduced the tearing a little, but oddly had no effect on the frame rate..... Is there a way to get the average framerate?? That way i could check more accurateley!
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-16-2001 06:36 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
redlemons> Yes thats frametearing, what spec machine do you have??
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2001 03:32 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kayne, pull down the console and enter "/cg_drawFPS 1". It will display your FPS at the upper right of your screen.

For more console commands see Commander Keens site..

------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-19-2001 04:05 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm getting between 90 and 100 in q3

On UT i'm getting 60 average with no frametearing, is there any way i can limit the fps on q3? I don't suppose this would be a commmonly requested feature tho!

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-20-2001 03:41 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you'll find it at Commander's, it was something like "/com_maxfps XX", try setting it to 85.

Limiting your FPS can have an effect on the jumps you can make BTW...

------------------

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-20-2001 10:11 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm using a PIII 550E, 128MB, Voodoo2

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-21-2001 07:46 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
red lemons> I which case, i think it must just be the q3 engine...

Lindi> Have you experienced the frametearing i'm talking about at all?

[This message has been edited by Kayne (edited 03-21-2001).]

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-21-2001 02:17 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kayne:
red lemons> I which case, i think it must just be the q3 engine...

Lindi> Have you experienced the frametearing i'm talking about at all?

[This message has been edited by Kayne (edited 03-21-2001).]

A sort of horizontal line running across the middle of the screen, especially visible when macin rapid turns?

------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-22-2001 05:44 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes exactly that!
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2001 01:09 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I get that. I have been playing with v_sync off since q2 so I really don't notice it anymore.

This setting might also be available through the driver settings, give it a shot.

------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2001 04:18 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will give it a try! Thanks.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2001 07:01 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All enabling V-Sync waiting will do is slow it down, it won't fix the tearing. . . Check in your cards display settings and disable it in the OpenGL tab, cause the drivers will always try to force it on, if you enable it. I have mine set to always off.

Another thing you could try is to enable mouse smoothing. . . I think it's in the misc control options. That really seems to help things. . . when I first installed Q3 I had it off and every thing was all jerky hard to see. . . after a friend told me to turn on mouse smoothing it was much better.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2001 07:02 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I seem to stand corrected.

------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2001 08:02 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Lindi, didn't mean to rain on your parade. . . I don't even know if it'll work or not. I just know that changing V-Sync won't. All that'll do is change frame rates.
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-26-2001 04:18 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have got mouse smothing on, i allways scan the game setting screens to see what could make a difference, it's things like console commands that i'm not too hot on yet. I have messed about with most of the settings in the menu's. I have tried all of the suggested and it's still there! Does any-one here have tearing-free quake 3 arena?? I would of thought the speed of machine i have would mean i wouldn't have any probs with q3!
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 03-26-2001 09:56 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Team Arena Demo when i had it did run a lot slower then the regular Quake3. I never got frame tearing though.
PIII-EB 733MHz (Asus P3V4X)
Voodoo5-5500 AGP
My Frames per second in quake3 Maxed out on 1024x768 never goes below 70 but in Team Arena i just lowered the res to 800x600. helped a lot and got like 60 average in the Team Arena Demo. Any over 45 makes the game smooth any ways. : )
Ne ways, this is probally a lame suggestion but in Team Arena make sure you got OpenGL Extensions On. I know downstairs on my K6-2 System running a Voodoo3 my 2 idiot brothers had that disabled and didn't know why they couldn't get over 25 FPS. : P

Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-26-2001 08:57 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well. . . I beg to differ about the min framrate for smoothness being 45. . . I don't think the human eye can see faster than 24. Cause that's what movies used to play at and nobody had a problem then.(I'm talking from 70's 90's)
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 03-26-2001 10:16 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea i know that. Ne ways you totally misread the message. Sorry if i wasn't of ne help.
Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-26-2001 10:21 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, I get what you meant now. . . I'm being an idiot.

Actually I noticed that framerate slow down too, I just installed the demo. I don't have any tearing effects though.

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2001 02:46 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My framerate maxes out on both ta and q3a but i still get the tearing....
I do have gl turned on
On a more positive note, i downloaded the creature graphics demo from the nvidia site, if you have a ge-force card i recomend you download it, i have never seen anything so impressive rendered at 30fps realtime before!

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 03-30-2001 06:44 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I only need 9 more responses then i'll have a flaming folder... yay
Wont help q3 tho......

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-31-2001 09:59 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Well. . . I beg to differ about the min framrate for smoothness being 45. . . I don't think the human eye can see faster than 24. Cause that's what movies used to play at and nobody had a problem then.(I'm talking from 70's 90's)

Get yourself to those lower frame rates then Acid and trying doing a snap turn. You will notice dropped frames. Sometimes these dropped frames may even include some important detail...like an enemy closing in on your ass from your flank. High framerates are very desireable...and DO make a big difference. Also, think about movies where there is high paced action in a movie, the framerates perceived by the eye are irrelevant simply because the center of the action (namely the actors, the cars etc) are relatively still in the picture.

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 04-02-2001 03:55 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The problem seems to be anything in open gl that turns v-sync off, q3 isn't too bad if i keep v-sync on, but i still have a little tearing. Some stuff that uses the q3 engine does not have a v-sync option!!! This framerate slowing down stuff, i figured the esiest way is for me to turn antialiasing up full in my card setup, then i get about 50-60 fps, and it looke pretty too! UT runs in gl fine.... for about 5 mins and then hangs my comp..... still, no frame tearing in those 5 mins, i normally run d3d! !!!
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 04-03-2001 02:38 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you are running a Nvidia card you might like to take a look at "Power Strip" a nice little proggy that opens up a gazillion of options to customize.

You will find some version of it over at www.reactorcritical.com in the downloads section.

------------------

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 04-13-2001 12:39 PM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Been a while since i checked back, thanx Lindi, i will check it out.

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 04-15-2001 05:08 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Np, there. Give PowerStrip out.., seems to be really good and if you are into customizing settigs it will give you a ton of options.

I especially like the way it lets you to set the gammalevel on the fly.

Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 04-18-2001 08:56 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have tried power strip, it's v.cool!
Still hasn't solved the tearing though. I think i'm doomed to having annoying q3 engine stuff! I just hope the doom3 engine doesn't do it!

--------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 04-19-2001 07:10 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
using compressed textures should give it a speed boost...even my old 300A played team arena...but i had to have compressed textures on
Kayne
Sarge
Member # 2334

Rate Member

posted 04-20-2001 11:47 AM     Profile for Kayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is it a speed boost in need though? I'm getting about 80-99 fps in TA, wheras i'm getting about 60fps in UT but it runs so much nicer (No tearing at all).
Also, does anyone know how to make the mouse input smooth but get rid of the annoying way it has two different sensitivity settings depending on how fast you move the mouse??
It's impossible without a 10 minute transition period to switch between UT and Q3!

--------------------

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com