Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Problems with 1.27g and h

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems with 1.27g and h
galtero

Member # 0

Rate Member

posted 02-03-2001 02:28 PM     Profile for galtero     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, I just updated my Quake 3 from 1.17 to 1.27g and I'm having some problems. When I start the game, the menus are all messed up. There is a thick white gradient bordering my console when I bring it down, I can barely make out the words 'Quake' and 'Arena' in the main menu, when I start a game, the loading background for a map (usually a screenshot of part of the map) is replaced with a grey background with a white grid running across it. Then when I finally start the game, there is no sky displayed, things like bullets, ricochets, rail gun trails are all just grey 2d lines. This problem is completely remedied when I revert back to 1.17 and it's not fixed if I upgrade to 1.27h. I'm running a P3-800 with a TNT2-Pro, 320 MB of memory, and windows 2000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 02-05-2001 01:37 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Take out all your add on pk3 files from your baseq3 folder. They have shaders that quake 3 doesn't like. Put them back in, one by one to find out which one is causing the problem.

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-05-2001 02:41 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You might wanna try to completely remove your quake3 and do a reinstall after that. This would be the most painless way of replacing broken pk3 files.

Also try not to use custom skins/maps, cause they might contain broken shaders.

------------------
Spell checks? SPELL CHECKS? we don't need no stinking Spell Checks.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
LhurGoyf
Visor
Member # 2300

Rate Member

posted 02-08-2001 04:15 AM     Profile for LhurGoyf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
custom shit always sux ass, they shouldnt release their crap so soon... just wait till its fully working.. DAMN THEM!

------------------
the text on the box said, supported platforms windows 9x, NT, 2000 or better.. so clearly linux was a supported platform

Posts: 7 | From: Zoetermeer ZH the Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2001 04:51 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sure, debugging is very good on the part of the skin/map/mod makers, but mistakes happen, god knows I can mess up the most simple of tasks.

This is why I do like to test each and every skin/map right after I install them. Instead of installing 100 skins to find out that 1 of them has a broken shader that messes my game up.

Custom stuff is kinda cool othervise IMHO, makes for a personal Quake experience. What would the Quake game&community be with out mods & custom skins?

------------------
Spell checks? SPELL CHECKS? we don't need no stinking Spell Checks.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com