Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Connection sharing?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Connection sharing?
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2001 08:09 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got two computers.

1. AMD athlon 700 (win2000Pro)
2. AMD athlon 900 (win2000Pro)

I've got the LAN cards working aswell as the LAN, using RJ cable w/o a hub. (crossover cable???)

My athlon 900 is also connected to the internet via ISDN. When I try to use the connections sharing it just keeps on failing. I.e. explorer reports that it can't connect.

The funny thing is that I got it working before when the athlon700 was running win98.

Any thoughts?

------------------
Spell checks? SPELL CHECKS? we don't need no stinking Spell Checks.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 01-20-2001 10:03 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Make sure you got TCP/IP installed on both computers in the network settings. Also set up a internet connection on the computers. Steps:
1.Right Click the IE Icon
2.Go to properties
3.Connection Tab
4.Clik Setup
5.3rd Click box down and clik next. (The lan option)
6. Next window click the lan option and then next.
7.Next
8. Then it is your choice. hehe.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 01-20-2001 10:05 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yea. With Win2000 Pro i didn't have to do anything to connect to the internet. Make sure you are logged on Administrator on both coms. I have 2 computers as well and it was super easy to set up. Should also make sure your network card is installed in the machine. Cause Win2000 probally didn't detect it.
Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 01-21-2001 02:16 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wheee! i tink i can help u with this one

I made sure that both comps had an "unset" ip address for tcp-ip. And thats what made it work, but u might have already done that

btw, yep - its crossover cable

Ive had 2 win2k comps with IC sharing for about a year, its pretty kewl huh?

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-22-2001 06:27 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So both machines are supposed to obtain the ip adress automatically? Ok, I'll try that, but I've had problems with both machines NOT showing up in the "Workgroup" with this setting.

While I read the help file, I got the impression that the machine that shares it's internet connection should infact be using 192.168.0.1 and mask 255.255.255.0. This is incorrect??

------------------

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 01-22-2001 09:26 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe. Get a hub. It would be so much easier. I bought a 8 Port hub (Didnt' need that many ports but it is good if a few friends bring over there computers) and with Win2k it just configured itself... but to reconize the computers on the network i had to search for the other computer and then map it or create a short cut to it. I think when i searched for the other computer i searched for the Name of the computer... not sure though.. it might of been the name of the workgroup... I dunno. Try it i guess. Just some ideas.
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 01-22-2001 09:33 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW another thing i just remembered. The 2 computers have to have a IP (Duh!) . Ne ways. Ne ways a little bit ago in class i was talking to my teacher about setting up 2 computers on a network and connecting to the internet. He told me depending on the company that gives you internet access that you may have to pay for addtional IPs and some companys just will assign another IP automatically. Could check into it... some companies dont' like to be gipped and are really greedy. hehe. All i know is the reason why i can get 2 ip's is cause im on DSL and i can't hook up 2 connections on the same phone line so i just route through the hub and they gave me a IP automatically... hehe i dunno if im helping ne . Just sharing some things i ran into when i did the same thing.
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-23-2001 02:17 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for your efforts Sinister.

I normaly have only one computer, the athlon700 is to be upgraded, it's a internet challenged friends machine. Who just installed Win2000. It kinda seems unjustified to get a HUB for two days of use.

I have no problems getting the LAN working, i.e both machines are visible and able to communicate. We played some Q3A and CounterStrike etc. etc.

I have been able to install some upgrades DirectX8 and others that were available for download as separate files. The problem starts as we try to acces the windows update site, via his machine. 404 server not found.

I have setup everything like I did before when the internet connection sharing worked. Only difference is that my friend was running Win98 and we used a Coaxal cable then. I wonder if the sharing needs some aditional settings when both machines are running Win2000 and does it matter if I use the crossover cable, instead of the Coaxal.

------------------

American freak
Visor
Member # 2279

Rate Member

posted 01-23-2001 11:06 PM     Profile for American freak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the computer connected to the internet needs to have 2 net cards 1) for internet 1)for the lan. on the card connected to the lan put in a ip address like you said 192.168.0.1 sub 255.255.255.0 for the tcp/ip. on the card for the internet put in your ip info, if you have it for tcp/ip. on the other computer put in an i address of 192.168.0.2 on the second computer uncheck any boxes that are checked in the tools, internet options, connections, lan settings section of i.e.
you may need to uninstall and reinstall ics on the server machine. also go into the tools, internet options, connections, sharing of i.e. on the server and setup what card cards are what on the lan.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2001 04:34 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm, that's basically the config I got setup right now, still no bananas. I'll try reinstalling the network adapters later.

Thanks for your help...

------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-26-2001 06:39 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Lindi brudder...I am too tired to do a long drawn out schpielle on Networking 101 because it is 4:36am here now. BUT if I if I were you, then you'd be me, and you'd be running Linux and be masquerading (but you already knew I would say that didn't you?lol). But in their infinite ignorance, er, wisdom, Microsoft has set up a li't thing HERE that might help ya.

One thing you might wanna try though: you have internally assigned IP addresses. BUT, did you set your box that has inet as the gateway on the one you are sharing with?! Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Snag (edited 01-26-2001).]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2001 02:53 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help guys, got it working now. Had to set DHCP up, now everyhting is working.

------------------

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2001 04:45 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
American Freak : well, u dont need 2 net cards in one machine i have it running fine right here with one

Sinister : u dont ned to do that either, ive got both comps on unset ip's for the net cards

Just my two cents.

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
American freak
Visor
Member # 2279

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2001 11:32 PM     Profile for American freak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PARSOUT:well dont you do need two netcards if one is going to be the server machine. do you know how to run multi machines on one ip at the same time without a router or a server machine? if so i belive everyone would like to know.

LINDI h i thought you had ICS turned on it is a DHCP server form what i understand. but then again you are running win2k and I dont know that one.I guess I should install it to learn about it.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-05-2001 02:50 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ICS, that's what I though also, but, well I'm a littel uncertain of what/how the problems began.

------------------

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 02-05-2001 03:26 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oops, thought u meant two nic's in the same machine! doh!

Parsout

LhurGoyf
Visor
Member # 2300

Rate Member

posted 02-08-2001 04:09 AM     Profile for LhurGoyf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
!! THIS IS SO EASY !!

if you have w2k running on one of both machines its very easy to set up and every OS will be able to connect.. ok here it comes.

on the machine with the internet connection go to dial-up networking, right click on your internet connection icon.. go to the tab sharing ( or something like that ) and set sharing ON!

on the other machine just put the ip of the other machine in the gateway of tcp/ip.. goto config screen > network > tcp/ip > settings > gatway.. here enter the ip of the machine with the internet and your all done !

this works fine!

Posts: 7 | From: Zoetermeer ZH the Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-09-2001 03:02 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sure that's the way it is supposed to work. But it didn't when the DHCP service wasn't active. I'm kind of a newbie with the "NT" based enviroment.

------------------
If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com