Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » 127g, What the Hell?!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 127g, What the Hell?!
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2001 09:36 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the hell did ID do to Quake3? I finally installed 127g on Quake3 because I could no longer get onto servers with the new protocall. 127g screws up Quake3 for me. It chugs like an SOB. I can't use the game online without it, so I guess ID just screwed mw out of my money. Am I missing something? Some sort of option? Before, with 117, I was getting an average of about 100-150fps. Now 1-30fps. I have a P3 600, 128MB RDRAM, GeForce2 GTS, 30GB 7200RPM HD, operating on WindowsME. What the hell?! How could they have possibly found a way to make this system perform so poorly. I uninstalled, and re-installed it several times, so it's not just a bad installation. I also downloaded the Team Arena demo, which performs in a similar fashion. Almost like some major swapping is going on. Is anyone else having this problem? I can't find anything about it on the net. ID Software also doesn't seem to have any sort of technical support, or they just don't care once they have your money. If anybody can tell me how to resolve this issue, please contact me directly: moranelli@videotron.ca.
PS I also have all the most up to date drivers for my hardware, and just for the hell of it (because nothing else was working) I downloaded that useless OpenGL Setup program... it did nothing for me. Please, no other web sites will pay attention to my rantings, help! Don't be afraid to reply with a technical explanation, I am also a programmer... (I think this is bad programming...)

Posts: 99 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-04-2001 09:48 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think you need to click on the compress textures option or somethign like that
Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2001 09:54 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why compress texture? I've always had it set to the Max! 1280x1024, 32bit textures, 32bit color, max detail, and I always got around 100 fps. There shouldn't be any reason to compress textures, there's plenty of memory.
Posts: 99 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2001 12:02 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Calm down bitch

Grumpy just told u the reason for the problems - i.e. compressed textures.

ID has changed the variable from :

/r_ext_compress_textures

to

/r_ext_compressed_textures

Make /r_ext_compressed_textures "1"

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2001 12:51 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahahaha, i feel so smart!
thanx parsie aka chum

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2001 03:07 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm..., been going back and forth between the 1.17 and 1.27 versions without any problems. Strange, I get my 80 FPS at 800X600, no matter what the version.

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2001 03:15 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aww lindi, i'm not feeling as helpful anymore!
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2001 04:35 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
heheheheh, i do that too, cos demos wont play in 1.27g

I think it might be also, that Galdiator is using the TA demo, which happens to have ALOT of problems.

I suggest you try Q3A with compressed tex on 1 and then try TA, im pretty sure TA will have a fucked up FPS.

Compressed textures being off is what was killin me, cos as soon as i turned it to 1 i got everything back like 1.17.

But anyway...

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-05-2001 01:03 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alright Parsout, your not allowed to talk anymore, since you don't know what you're talking about. Compressed textures doesn't work shitbrick. Does anybody else have any suggestions?
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2001 03:27 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
parsout can talk his ass off as he pleases
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-05-2001 09:11 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I repeat, does anybody else have any suggestions?
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 01-06-2001 01:53 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
k wanker, if ure so smart why cant u werk it out? u dumb POS

I had a thought, a cupla days ago, id updated their faq's and lists, mebbe thatll have changed, thats how i found out about the copression thing - plus, give the q3 readme a whirl, that may help too.

Parsout

Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-06-2001 09:38 AM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listen Parsout, I've read the readme like a good little monkey, and the faq's. Nowhere do they mention the problem I am having. I also can't find anything online to suggest anybody else is having the same problem.
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-07-2001 08:56 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gladiator, as the forum summarys say, no solutions are guaranteed. If you are going to start dissing ppl for trying to help you, I can insure that no one will wan't to try to help you in the future.

Play nice, maybe we will find a solution for you together. Othervise keep it to your self. k?

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 01-08-2001 09:19 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I STILL get amazed at some peoples methods of asking for help. Amazed.
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-09-2001 01:55 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Alright Parsout, your not allowed to talk anymore, since you don't know what you're talking about. Compressed textures doesn't work shitbrick. Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Suggestion: You get more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mutley
Sarge
Member # 212

Rate Member

posted 01-09-2001 11:08 PM     Profile for Mutley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does it ever end.

Posts: 232 | From: Neverneverland | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2001 01:32 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
apparantly not
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
KilledYerAss
Visor
Member # 2281

Rate Member

posted 01-15-2001 07:02 PM     Profile for KilledYerAss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, Holmes. I too am having the same issues with 1.27g and TA. In fact I have an exact duplicate of your system (P3 650, GeForce 2 GTS, 128 PC 133, etc.)

I have noticed a considerable decrease in performance, as well as 5 other co-workers all using variable systems, (Mac, ME, and 2K). You're NOT alone. I have not tried compressed textures thoughand will do so when I get home. I'll drop ya' a line as soon as I figure it out though.

KYA

Posts: 8 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
KilledYerAss
Visor
Member # 2281

Rate Member

posted 01-17-2001 10:00 PM     Profile for KilledYerAss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hola... Well... TA is running great now. The Texture Compression option seems to have cleared it up. Or maybe I'm just getting used to the performance decrease. I'm upgrading though to an AMD 1.2Ghz chip though, so we'll see if that helps any.

KYA
Las Vegas

Posts: 8 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 01-26-2001 11:24 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Parsout, r_ext_compressed_textures "1", helped immensly, no more hitching and just like 1.17 now.

btw, worked on my buddy's system too.

There is only one shitbrick in this thread and you are not it.

Thanks again.

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
[GiB] Soul Fly

Member # 0

Rate Member

posted 01-31-2001 03:28 AM     Profile for [GiB] Soul Fly     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I take it when you put the 1.27g patch on or TA it defaults Compression to 0?? Because I have been getting the same performance hit and described above. I'm running a P3700@994 and my FPS dropped by about 20 when I put the new patch on. I will try the compression fix and see what happens?

PS Gladiator, if you ask nicely you get a good response...

------------------
--------------
[GiB] Soul Fly
http://www.gibtek.co.uk

Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 01-31-2001 03:32 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No worries Outrider, anytime mate

Parsout

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 01-31-2001 04:54 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I get about 10-20% more fps in version 1.27h

you should all upgrade to that version.

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 01-31-2001 07:13 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wow, no shit. I just put 127h in and went from 66.5 to 87.2 in demo127. Thanks d00d!!
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2001 02:14 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gees, I updated yesterday, but I didn't run any timedemos, I guess I will tonight.

1.27 supposedly also fixes some texture problems with Nvidia cards, and it fixes brightness issue with win2000 and Nvidia cards.

------------------
Spell checks? SPELL CHECKS? we don't need no stinking Spell Checks.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2001 06:43 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
does ra3 still work with the h beta?

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com