Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Working the console for Q3

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working the console for Q3
stang
Visor
Member # 2157

Rate Member

posted 09-15-2000 01:44 AM     Profile for stang   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My online game is still being interrupted, but I'm still connected with my ISP.Framerate while playing in the right corner varies with 20 to 28.I'm trying to adjust the frame rate as suggested by you guys using the "com_maxFPS" and hit enter...and then it says default is 85.Am I trying to adjust it incorrectly? Can someone instruct step by step since I haven't got a clue? I'm getting my butt whooped online!
Thanks!

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2000 03:45 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yer connection interupted is yer connection d00d, sorry
yer upper thing about the frames thing
try setting it to zero

and it'll go the highest number possible at the given time insteada bottoming out at 85.
but from 20-28, doesn't seem like i dunno.
uhh, wut typa vcard you gots?

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2000 04:52 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Poor guy, listening to grumpy... hard to understand...heh j/k

typing
/com_maxFPS

will just tell you what that variable is set at. You have type type a number after it to change it:
/com_maxFPS 150

but it seems to me that it will not make a difference in your case because your FPS don't even reach 85.

To acheive 80's or more you need a pretty nice machine, like a P2-400, with a video card with atleast 16 megs of ram, like a TNT. I'm not saying you will average 80fps with that type of machine, but you will acheive 80fps in some instances.

Good luck!

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2000 05:48 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, changing the com maxfps does help, 35 - 30 is the most desirable.

Hey, im getting 60 average in timedemo 1 on demo01 - with p3-450 128mb 100MHz sd dma66 hd geforce 256 SDR and q3 setts - 800x600x32 - full tex detail, subdivs 1 and all the other visual enhancements!!

Is that good??

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2000 07:24 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What type of connection do you have? 56k, cable, dsl? If you have 56k, set your 'rate' lower. Enter:

/rate 3500

in the console. If you don't do that, your Q3 client will try to get more data than your connection can handle, and can result in lag/phone jacks.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com