Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Oh my god... noooo...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh my god... noooo...
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 09-13-2000 02:51 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now I wonder if any of you could help me here... the other alternative seems like a nightmare.

Last night I tried to run "Vampire the masqurade" and "Descent3", but with very little succes. I got Vampire running, but it hung in about 5 mins into the game. "Descent3" got as far as the intro movie. I've tried reinstalling different versions of the detonators and directX.

The thing that scares me is that lastnight Win2kpro reported a parity error.

System:

win98 and win2000Pro
DFI BX Mobo
PII350
128RAM (2x64Mb 100Mhz)
Asus V3800Ultra 32Mb(TNT2)
SB64PCI
6.8 Gb Maxtor
30 Gb Maxtor
Asuscom T128 (internal ISDN)

I'm just hoping that my system hasn't gone to shit, 'cause I really can't afford to by a whole new computer at the moment.

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 09-13-2000 02:56 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If this was win2k reporting the parity errors, then yes, the ONLY thing you need to buy is new RAM (or if it was me id take it back to where you bought it and stick it up his ass and ask for yer money back, he he)

BUT if win98 reported the errors then it could be just about anything!!! (nightmare), but mainly, RAM, dry circuit on mobo, or hd (the 30 gig).

Thats bad news man, lemme now how it works out.

Heres a tip, try using someone elses RAM for a few minutes.

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 09-13-2000 04:17 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, bought that memory so long ago, and the worst part is it's two different chips, so it could be some incompability thing. How much do you think the mobo could affect this? The thing I'm wondering about is why win2000 only reported it once, not more often. Are there any applications that could perform some memory tests?

My rig runs smothly, except for when I try to use OpenGL games... I wonder shouldn't memory errors cause all kinds of problems regardless of the video API being used? Man this sucks, I've been trying hard to save some cash to upgrade my processor, but now I also need to buy new memory/motherboard/videocard... so I will basically buy a new computer then...

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

[This message has been edited by Lindi (edited 09-13-2000).]

KRUSTYY
Sarge
Member # 2186

Rate Member

posted 09-13-2000 05:35 PM     Profile for KRUSTYY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you seen the new "Star Trek Voyager"
"Elite Force"? It's a first person shooter,
I'm killing "Cyborgs!!"
Looks good.
Deus still kicks.

Posts: 97 | From: N.Y.C. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2000 12:01 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, Star Trek game has Q3 engine, never played deus ex yet, he he too much work!

Parsout

Lindi, your vid cards ok, dont kill that just yet, wait till the end of this year then youll be able to buy an NV20 (card that has 3 gig fillrate and directx 8 texturing engine chips built onto the card (kickass))

The mobo, wait till intel 815 chipsets come out with dma66 on the boards - that should be about 2 weeks

The RAM, ram will never change, always expensive, samsung is releasing 400mhz ram soon but no mobo's will be able to support it until 2002 he he he.

Parsout, again

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
KRUSTYY
Sarge
Member # 2186

Rate Member

posted 09-14-2000 12:59 AM     Profile for KRUSTYY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn that's funny , the way it sounds like, 2 years off. are we , or any of us gettin any younger?
Posts: 97 | From: N.Y.C. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2000 03:05 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Parsout:
Lindi, your vid cards ok, dont kill that just yet, wait till the end of this year then youll be able to buy an NV20 (card that has 3 gig fillrate and directx 8 texturing engine chips built onto the card (kickass))

The mobo, wait till intel 815 chipsets come out with dma66 on the boards - that should be about 2 weeks

I looking at different update options yesterday, and I guess I'll go for 128 PC-133 RAM, some AsusMobo (P3V4X, is that good?) and an Athlon 750. I'm planing to buy the stuff separately, I'll go for the memory first, I'll propably buy it tomorrow. This way I will have some time to familiareise my self with different mobos and the processor prices might come down a bit...

Sound reasonable?

Deus Ex, now that one I'd like to try...

------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2000 02:11 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RAM will not always be expensive...look at last year before the earthquake in Taiwan...i bought 128MB of PC133 for $130CDN...then all of a sudden that same stick was over $400 then about a year later it is back to about $220 here...as far as RAM being expensive, remember the days when 1MB would run you a couple hundred?? It all depends on how you look at it, but RAM is not always be expensive, as you put it. In fact, memory itself is getting cheaper, it just we need more of it Because of our societies dependency on silica now, prices will never be stable either, so it would be incorrect to say it will never be cheap, and never be expensive.

And Lindi, due to your current situation yes, memory first.....then I would go for a mobo since they typically do not change in price that signifcantly over the timeframe we are dealing with...then go for your processor.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2000 06:11 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ram still sux to buy here in oz but im hoping it will come down soon, i need more!!

Parsout

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 09-17-2000 12:57 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol
back in the old amiga days
yah, i got 4 megs yo! woohoo

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2000 02:14 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm.. I'm still waiting for my new memory chip here and I've started noticing deteriorating performance. DiabloII which I was able to play w/o any jerkyness before is almost unplayable and my machine is swapping crazily.

Is it possible that my machine is only using 64Mb of memory... if the other comb is broken?

------------------

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2000 02:24 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did ya check bios at start? ya know, 128567 (i think when it reads ram?)

You should also think about maybe changing yer AGP aperture size in bios, to 64 mb (if it isnt already)

Parsout

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2000 08:33 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yupp... well actually the Bios reports "13somthin-somthing" of ram and the AGP size is/has been 64 Mb all the time...

------------------

Asmodean
Sarge
Member # 3

Rate Member

posted 09-20-2000 09:16 PM     Profile for Asmodean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like a memory problem to me as well... though it could be a memory problem on the video card. Something you can try: remove one of the RAM DIMM's and see how it does. It will run slower because Win2k really likes 128mb or more of ram... but if it becomes stable then you know you removed the bad ram chip. If you still have the same problems, swap the ram chips and check again. If the problem goes away, then you have found the bad ram chip and know which to replace. If the problem persists, then it may be a problem with the video card RAM.

I have hardware tools that can do loop testing of RAM... which is how I found a bad ram chip in my computer a long while back.

BTW, that board you mentioned is a P3 board, not for Athlon processors. If you want an asus board for Athlon processors, you will want to get a K7V (slot A Athlon) or an A7V (socket A Thunderbird / Duron)

Posts: 1129 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 09-21-2000 03:39 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Long time no C Asmo!

Yeah, I've decided to get the A7V board, I've already gotten a 128 Mb PC-133 memory chip. I think there is somethig wrong with my system though... presents it self mainly as hanging in games. I'll just get the new mobo and Athlon, perhaps a new vid card after that.

I was a little surprised that I could run all the memory chips at once, had to try it just for the sake of trying.

------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com