next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Windows ME

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows ME
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 12:43 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He he i just scored a copy of ME bout 4 months before release in oz, it is like a mish mash of win2k and win98 SO FUNNY yet so crappy, it only comes with fucking dx7, they said dx8, bastards, fucking cunts, damn i wanted to see dx8!!! RRRRRR!!

How interesting? ay Jeeves?

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 01:18 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
d00der, that's tite parsie
wut are some of the +'s??
why so crappy?
you have win2k rite? wut you like better?

cause i was thinkin about goin to win2k
heard it was super more stable

maybe dx8 idn't on it cause its not done yet? i dunno
grumps

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 02:12 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy:
cause i was thinkin about goin to win2k
heard it was super more stable

That's right, dude... and the networking functionality is superduper compared to (atleast) win98SE.

Give it a try, ´preferably dualbooting if you've got the HD space...

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 02:17 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...I'm wondering about Dx8, I read some hype on M$ directx site, about 6 months ago... Dx8 was promised to be released "soon" and it was supposed to support voice communication etc.

...but it seems DX8 is vapour ware. I haven't heard anything (official) about it since then....

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 03:23 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aright
has anybody tried settting up roguespear for lan??
its fuggin weird
its so hard to explain,
but if anybody has, they knwo wut i'm talkin about. win98 has such a hard time with roguespear and lans

but my bro's got win2k
win didn't even have to configure his tcp stuff
it jsut comes on
logs on to the local domain shit
and that's it

it was fuggin crazy
i'm definately gonna go for it
doesn't anybody know
can you some how update to win2k with a win2k cd?
or do you have to format it and then reinstall it?
nuts if you gotta format

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 03:49 AM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
grumpy, you can update your 98 to win2k without formatting but the general consensus is to go with a clean install. If you don't want to format or do a dual boot system which would be a clean install also, I would just upgrade the 98 and if you have problems down the road, then do a format and clean install. I have been very very happy with win2k on two machines here, both as dual systems w/98. Hope you have as much success as I have. I know some people have had troubles with it but after reading a few forums on win2k, it is mostly a handful of problems over and over that people are asking for help with. ie; drivers, changing the dual boot or somehow losing the option, can't get them networked correctly, won't power itself off when you shut it down,, etc.. If you want the links to a couple of the win2k forums, let me know.
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vassago
Visor
Member # 2182

Rate Member

posted 08-28-2000 05:35 AM     Profile for Vassago   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have had alot of experience with win2k pro and advanced server. In my personal opinion win2k is not stable. More than just compatibility issues or driver issues, there is always something else new comeing up. I had a dual 800 system running and win2k crashed more then concord air. But dual boots are also nice. Just a pain to transfer between os's. Dont even think about putting advanced server up unless u want to run a network. There are so many programs running in the background, that unless u have over 128 ram or more forget playing games. Just my 2 cents.

V

Posts: 12 | From: pueblo Co USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 04:44 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well shit
i gots d00ds saying its stable,
and i gots d00ders sayin otherwise

a d00l b00t huh?
geez. is that though? i dunno never dun it.
thanx fer yer helps guys
grumpers

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 04:45 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You'd best check if your hardware vendors have win2000 drivers, I'm mainly using Asus stuff, and I haven't had a problem getting drivers.

I'd also like to say that win2000 Pro has crashed on me 2 times in 3 months. All of these were during gaming. So I'd call win98 way more stable than *any* versin of win9x.

------------------

Mutley
Sarge
Member # 212

Rate Member

posted 08-28-2000 07:48 PM     Profile for Mutley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't locked, crashed or pooped
since I installed it (well maybe once) I love it and believe will upgrade the whole floor
to it. It does take alittle research
It's not for the casual user. But it
does shine!

Posts: 232 | From: Neverneverland | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 07:52 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lindi, did you mean to say win2k was more stable than any other winxx?
I have had the same experience as Lindi with mine. 3 blue screens of death in 2 months and 2 were from installing something I didn't think would be compatible to begin with. Guess it's like everything else and works great for some and buggy for others.

Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2000 12:03 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, check out all this bloody feedback!

To begin...
On my sys (p3450 128mb 17.2 + 20 gb hd's and asus v6600 deluxe win2k IS the only os that hasn't crashed or fucked up something ( he ehe ehe he eh e)

Win2k Professional (i emphasise PROFESSIONAL) IS a VERY stable OS:

Pro's: - Doesn't have to restart all the fucking time (like win98 - 98se - ME)
- Opengl system is about 10 fps better in q3 than latest win 98 98se and me
- can support multi processors
- internet is very stable

uther stuff like that...

OH wait i just remebered something VERY cooool

You know how you buy a new hard drive and it sez it supports UDMA66????

WELL in win2k if you add a key in the rego ( i will post the page in a sec showing how to do it) it enables the UDMA66 support in win2k!!!!!! (if hardware supports it) i did some timing in the loading of the q3demo01

witout regedit thingy - 27 seconds (win2k)
wit regedit thingy (after restart) - 19 seconds (win2k)

Pretty um KEWL huh?

In answer to questions abuut WinME

Networking is good if all comps concerned are on ME. If ANY comp is on win2k it hardly EVER works (im not joking)

far out my fingers are fucked now !!! hahahahahahah!!!

Man this is going to bore some people!

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2000 02:46 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yer a fuggin stud parsie poo
thanx mang!
didn't bore me a bit
much helpful
thanx
grumpsie dew

Mutley
Sarge
Member # 212

Rate Member

posted 08-29-2000 01:22 PM     Profile for Mutley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
~Networking is good if all comps concerned are on ME. If ANY comp is on win2k it hardly EVER works (im not joking)

Am I missing something? I have every version
of windows from 3.1 to win2k connected here!

~ WELL in win2k if you add a key in the rego ( i will post the page in a sec showing how to do it) it enables the UDMA66 support in win2k!!!!!! (if hardware supports it) i did some timing in the loading of the q3demo01

Please post that!

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2000 11:49 PM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Mutley, i didnt make myself very clear - I meant that the new Windows ME doesnt like win2k very much (sozza).

The site for dma66 thing is
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q247/9/51.asp

Oh, it works better if you NTFS yer drives!

wit ntfs in win2k loading time as specified above went down to bout 15.5 secs HOLY CRAP!!!

How cool is that new nvidia 8x agp thing? 2 GIG fillrates mmmmmmmmmmm fillrate argghhhhhhhhh *dribble* arggghhhhh *dribble*

HAHHAHA

Parsout

Has anyone else seen the russia vs sweden demos? that devil guy fucking rapes!!

show us yer terminology parsout =)

Mutley
Sarge
Member # 212

Rate Member

posted 08-30-2000 11:34 AM     Profile for Mutley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you, my man!!!!!

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 08-30-2000 10:10 PM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No Worries
KRUSTYY
Sarge
Member # 2186

Rate Member

posted 08-31-2000 12:05 PM     Profile for KRUSTYY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just to note I've got no idea how to get ME before next month excep'n if I order new comp. Duh. DX8 is avail. In Beta.
Posts: 97 | From: N.Y.C. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-31-2000 03:41 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KRUSTYY:
Just to note I've got no idea how to get ME before next month excep'n if I order new comp. Duh. DX8 is avail. In Beta.

Gotta a link someplace?

------------------

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 08-31-2000 07:23 PM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, where is this magical dx8 link that you speak of? POST IT, POST IT NOW !!!! pleeeeaaase?

ME was finished at the start of february this year BUT they made a "Bill Gates" edition (im not joking) which is the full windows ME but with more video codecs for recording from tv in video cards, gay huh?

anyway, i have a friend who lives in america and he won one of the billy boy editions and then burnt me a copy and sent it over.

Pretty cool huh?

Parsout

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-31-2000 09:22 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what is this udma66 stuff?
i mean, should i do it to any win2k machine??

my bro's gotta dell latop 733
and he's gots win2k on it
should i get him to do that stuff??

i mean, wut does it exactlydo?
cause i'm a dumb one
thanx

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 08-31-2000 10:10 PM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only if yer brothers hd is udma66 compat.

I.E. if the cable for his hd has 66 little cables rather than 33, yes then do it. (although i doubt severley that laptops have udma 66 hd's

I hope that guy posts that dx8 link today (you bloody ripper!!!)

Parsout

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 09-01-2000 01:17 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Checked the M$ site out, but couldn't even find a mention of DX8.... perhaps I didn't look hard enough?

------------------

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 09-01-2000 02:31 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i did a search on google.com
and uhh
shit mang, i be reading all thse reviews with people who have the beta version.
but i can't find that damn link dammit!
fuggin ehhh
anybody else have any luck ehh?

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 09-02-2000 04:34 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck i sure hope that someone posts that link soon before i have to become that guy from the simopsons shining his shotgun - " i am the angel of death, the time for retribution is nei!!!!

POST THE LINK KRUSTY AERRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Parsout

I SAID POST IT GOD DAMN IT !!! BAHAHAHAHHA

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com