Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Q3 won't load after upgrade

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Q3 won't load after upgrade
plooker
Visor
Member # 2190

Rate Member

posted 08-26-2000 11:30 PM     Profile for plooker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey guys i'd appreciate a bit of help if ya got it.

I just Upgraded my hardware to
Dual 866 P3's (FCPGA)
512 Meg PC133

Everything else is the same.

2X 20gig IBM SCSI-2 HD's
1X Asus V3800 TNT2-Ultra
1X SB-Live (unfortunately not the real nice one)
1X Viewsonic GS790 Monitor
etc etc

Here is the deal, I of course nuked my C partition and reinstalled my OS (Win2k, which I used before w/ quake and had no problems)... I reinstalled Q3, Reinstalled WF, and reran the 1.17 point release. Now when I start Q3 I get the screen that flashes white, I get curser, the mouse curser, and then NUTHING.. it just halts the whole system.. NADDA.. I reRan GL-setup just in case, cause it seems to be a problem w/ my GL sub system.. but of course it tried to install the new refernce drivers from Nvidia (which I tried letting it do a few times with the same lockup)
P.S. I used my vid cards drivers since I got the card with Q3 and did great..

I can't figure it out, I've reinstalled Q3, my vid card, ripped out all the GL stuff and DX7a and reinstalled it..

HELP! 8) 8)

Any input would be great

thanks

Plooker

[This message has been edited by plooker (edited 08-26-2000).]

Vassago
Visor
Member # 2182

Rate Member

posted 08-27-2000 06:25 PM     Profile for Vassago   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well from what i have heard is that win 2k does not support gl setup well atleast the install option on the cd. I checked the web site and no releases for glsetup are coming out for win2k anytime soon. That is what crashes me alot is the gl shit.

something to check into...

V

Posts: 12 | From: pueblo Co USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
plooker
Visor
Member # 2190

Rate Member

posted 08-27-2000 10:52 PM     Profile for plooker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I ganked a processor and ran win98se (which is what ia ran it on before) ... same freaking problem.. damnit.. I'm at a loss and tech support from activision sucks, as does support for my vid card cause NO ONE THERE SPEAKS ENGLISH!!

8)

Plooker

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2000 12:39 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tried re-installing DirectX - ? if it don't work in q3 then d/load directx debug setup for win2k from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/topic.asp?URL=/msdn-files/028/000/114/topic.xml

I used to get the same prob when i dual-booted with win2k and 98.

big bitchy link hey?

Hope that helps...

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
plooker
Visor
Member # 2190

Rate Member

posted 08-28-2000 01:44 AM     Profile for plooker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link mate, i'll give it a shot

Plooker

plooker
Visor
Member # 2190

Rate Member

posted 09-04-2000 03:29 PM     Profile for plooker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damnit it still isn't working.. Ok here is the GL loader error log that I get from q3 startup.. UGH!!!!

http://www.bombthreat.org/q3.txt

Any help would be badass!
thanks

[This message has been edited by plooker (edited 09-04-2000).]

DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 09-04-2000 05:50 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like you need to update the video card drivers. That's the same error I got after installing win2k and running the defualt 3dfx drivers that it installed. I went to 3dfx and got the lates win2k drivers and that fixed it.
I am curious as to how you got glsetup to run under win2k.

Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 09-04-2000 07:27 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.nvidia.com
has the win2k vid drivers you need
the det 3's kick arse

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
plooker
Visor
Member # 2190

Rate Member

posted 09-05-2000 09:03 PM     Profile for plooker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply,
I've tried not only the newest vid card drivers for my card (from the manufacturer.. which happen to be the same ones that worked for a long time Pre new Motherboard) but I've downloaded the new detonator drivers as well.. Damn boyz i'm stumped I've tried 6 different version of Vid card and AGP drivers.. UGH!!! The thing that sucks is that My setup is almost identical to the setup that they tested q3 with at www.anandtech.com with this mainboard.

Ugh!! any other ideas would rock.. P.S. I'll buy beer for the winner 8)

Thanks
Plooker

plooker
Visor
Member # 2190

Rate Member

posted 09-05-2000 09:47 PM     Profile for plooker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
okay mates, I hard uninstalled all the vid drivers on my box and set to "Standard VGA adapter"... installed the new detonator drivers and...... nadda.. but!!!!! it at least doesn't lockup the machine now (whoohoo!!) so I played with AGP port speed and resolution but that didn't help..

So.. it dumps me out now and says "quake3.exe has performed an error, an error log is being generated" but of course.. no error log 8(

Any advice O' guru's of quake hardware (I used to think I was one!! hehehe)

Plooker

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 09-05-2000 09:48 PM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The best thing to do in that siuation, is flash yer board, I have an ABIT BE6 and the latest flasher for it allows me to have up to P3 800 rather than P3 550.

I think that yer problem has something to do with the AGP port OR try moving some of yer cards in different pci slots.

Parsout

P.S. when i get some more time ill post a page of geforce and tnt2 registry tweakers.

some of them may fix yer prob.

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 09-05-2000 10:20 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.guru3d.com

i think that place has geforce tweaker thingers

in yer bios, you can set your vid mem to like 64 or 128 or something
give that a shot

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
KRUSTYY
Sarge
Member # 2186

Rate Member

posted 09-06-2000 04:58 PM     Profile for KRUSTYY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Plooker as far as I can recall alot of persons game was fk'ed up like that too.
Mine to. I realised my big install of glsetup was not workin and later took the smaller fast one which worked!
My advise is do a seach for glsetup and you'll find answers.

------------------

Posts: 97 | From: N.Y.C. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vassago
Visor
Member # 2182

Rate Member

posted 09-06-2000 08:38 PM     Profile for Vassago   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Again i will post this. There are no glsetup drivers for win2k. Yes u can play q3 on win2k but u can change no gl settings. I have tried all of the drivers. From the new detonators to the old drivers that came with the vid card. As soon as glsetup releases for win2k all will be better. Till then we are all SOL.

V

Posts: 12 | From: pueblo Co USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com