Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Soundcard & USB device?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soundcard & USB device?
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2000 02:28 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've noticed lately that moving my Intelllieye Explorer causes a some sort of disturbance in my soundcard (SB64PCI). My sound settings aren't set very high in the windows soundpanel and I haven't even got my stereo turned very high, but it is still irritably loud.

Any Idea how I could get rid/lessen the annoying sound.

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-15-2000 05:48 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
is your computer properly grounded..???
a buddy of mine had the same problem and thats what his was...

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2000 02:36 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Um, well the powercord that we use (in new buildings) are grounded, but I havent grounded the box in any other way. At the moment my box is in the corner of my bedroom, and that means that I have no (easy) other way to ground my box.

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-16-2000 07:49 AM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that should be OK.....hmmmmmm.....
maybe the antenna...???

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-19-2000 02:41 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Um, antenna?

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-20-2000 07:07 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
for his stereo...
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-21-2000 04:04 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The radio antenna is an areal i.e. just a piece of cord nailed to the wall, not the type you plug into a wallsocket...

(Damnit, my vocabulary feels so limited, so if I say something funny feel free to correct me!)

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-21-2000 08:02 AM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
actually, id forgotten that he was talking about his soundcard.....duh.... not hi stereo..
but just to clear it up, if the resistance of the wire isnt like they recommend...typically 300ohm and i think 75ohm.. then youll never get the full effect of the electronics tuned for reception... its not as crucial with a stereo but try a tv or a cb radio, youll see a better effect per the quality of the wire..
its kinda like a small load coil...anyway if you have just a piece of wire, the odds of you picking up trash, mostly very localized, go up...

LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 08-21-2000 01:32 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i forgot to mention.... if you have some kind of EMI filter, use it for just the CPU maybe the monitor..then plug the power pack into the "raw" outlet.. if your innovative, strip out an old power supply for the filter or maybe go to radio-shack... look for one that actually filters the AC sine-wave otherwise youll get one that is just a transient spike filter(it just has an MOV) and it doesnt do much for actual noise supression...

if youve already gotten one, its possible that its failed

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 08-22-2000 02:15 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you tried switching the different sound devices in the volume control off? i have an intelli mouse thing and if i dont mute the microphone, the microphone starts making wierd noises

Try that.

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-22-2000 02:33 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll give it a shot, eventhough I noticed that my headphones (I can hardly hear it with my head phones) do not get as much of this buzzing...

Thanks for your help.

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com