Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » Changing the CPU.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing the CPU.
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 07-13-2000 09:11 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The opportunity to change my CPU just might present it self to me in the near future. My question is do I need to do anything else than change the Mhzspeed&multiplier. Will my OS (win2k) be ok with just changing it?

I just soo hope I could get a little more power into my computing...

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mutley
Sarge
Member # 212

Rate Member

posted 07-13-2000 11:41 AM     Profile for Mutley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup, just did one no problems......400P2 to a 500P3

Hey Lindi, check the narrator thingy in
Win2k Pretty funny! I think it's in the accessories menu.....

Did you clear up that problem with Q3?

Posts: 232 | From: Neverneverland | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 07-13-2000 02:34 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhu, tried the narator..., man am I glad I don't *really* need it!

Yupp, got Q3 working... I'm trying this mapping thing out now. Cudos to all mappers, this is really difficult, even though I've got the Q3radiant manual and other tutorials.

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 07-13-2000 02:36 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, just the processor I was kinda considering, not the best, but better than my PII350... damn I need an upgrade...

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 07-14-2000 12:33 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, sorry to bother again, but do you need to buy any sort of better cooling fan if you overclock? Ive been sitting on this idea for a while now (pIII450 - pIII500?) would it work DEFINITELY or is it taking a big risk?

Ive clocked a 667 to 700 but i wasnt about to blow my new work pc to smithereens!

Thanx in advance peepol

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
fury
Sarge
Member # 676

Rate Member

posted 07-14-2000 04:10 PM     Profile for fury   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lindi: Go for it. You don't need to change anything else

Parsout: It depends on the particular processor. Go for it, and if anything goes wrong such as blue screens when you try to start windows or "Windows Protection Error" screens, take it back down to 450

It will not hurt the processor too much as long as you have adequate cooling

Posts: 842 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 07-16-2000 09:09 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yo Parce...The 667s have already been overclocked to 1GHz.

As of the end of this month the real deal 1Ghz Athlons should run around $700.00 FYI in case your interested.

Dev

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 07-17-2000 07:15 PM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HOLY SHIT!! I GIG HERTS COOOOOLLLL SWEEET

DO YOU NEED SPECIAL FANS????

OR LIQUID NITROGEN?

oh man, the rendering times on the work pc could go down by heaps if could overclock it that much!!!!!

Any tips or anything!!?!?!?!

Thanx in advance

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 07-21-2000 02:21 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
theres a calculation for over clocking, the rest it up to the heat dissipation..
but it amounts to the video staying in sync..
sometimes the memory(if its old)
look at tomshardware.com ...i dont think a 450 will work well... a 400 goes higher, more stable.. you'll notice that the prices of some processors are more expensive even though their slower...

Commander Keen
Sarge
Member # 853

Rate Member

posted 07-26-2000 09:26 AM     Profile for Commander Keen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still highly recommend reloading Windows 2000 NT has a history of not liking core Hardware to chande but you may get away with it if you don't chang motherboards just the chip only...my 2 cents

------------------

edit:damnit they took HTML outa SIG's

[This message has been edited by Commander Keen (edited 07-26-2000).]

Posts: 783 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 07-26-2000 10:55 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Commander ~ I'm going for a CPU only upgrade, if I can reduce my spending enough... goddamnit I want better pay.

Reinstalling windows is no problem, my puter at home is for entartainment purpouses only, so I don't have any really important data/software on it.

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Commander Keen
Sarge
Member # 853

Rate Member

posted 07-27-2000 10:00 AM     Profile for Commander Keen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
man my typing skills suck. Good deal Lindi enjoy it brutha

BTW that d up there should have been a G I think and there should have been a period between the words Windows 2000 and NT The word NT was the start of a second sentance.

*steps on keybaord*

Bad keyboard bad!

------------------
Commander Keen

Posts: 783 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 07-28-2000 03:45 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LoL

Don't worry about typing, mine is worse than yours anyday.

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com