Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » BIOS probs...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BIOS probs...
Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 06-27-2000 01:25 PM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just bought a ye olde 'puter (575 deskpro Compaq p75) to play network games (Doom/Duke etc) and I want to install a CD-ROM but the bios is password protected....I have no way of contacting the person who I bought it off, I heard there was a generic password that would work on all BIOS's anybody have an idea what it is?....
Posts: 102 | From: England | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 06-27-2000 09:42 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i dunno bouts the generic password thing
but you can try taking out the lil battery off the mobo
that should do it

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 06-28-2000 01:36 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, just change the cmos jumper, the slot should only have 3 pins so move the jumper to the opposite position ie. - ... ...
__ __

Like that? and then it will discharge the settings.

Hope that helps

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-28-2000 03:32 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And since it's a Compaq I guess you should be able to get the jumper schematics from their site (well the thing that tells you which jumper does what... ).

------------------
Die dulci fruere.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mithrandir
Sarge
Member # 1171

Rate Member

posted 07-02-2000 05:05 AM     Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx all I will try your suggestions!
Posts: 102 | From: England | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
LordOPain
Sarge
Member # 1471

Rate Member

posted 07-02-2000 02:26 PM     Profile for LordOPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the above is correct... there's a jumper on the pcboard to clear the cmos or just remove the battery for a day or two...be careful, depending on the age, you might need the harddrive parameters(heads sectors etc)... the cdrom setup will be auto or none....... alot of this info is on the compaq site...archives most likely

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com