next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Outpost   » Keeping Quake Alive

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keeping Quake Alive
Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2002 12:08 AM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It has to be said - to the developers.
When Quake and Quake 2 came out, people rushed to get it. It sold well, very well, played well, was fun and it did it's intended job - it entertained.

So why re-invent the wheel and make it square? That's what happened with Q3.
Sure the graphics are better, but apply that technology, and demand on the CPU to a full new Quake 2-B. In short, stick with what worked. Q2 had challenges, themes, risks, and required thinking. It was devious, and at times, made one jump.

What would happen, if the original developers were to do their own TC - making a new complete 32 level version of Quake2 with new challenges and put that on the market?

How about something that doesn't need one to buy a new computer, 3D accelerator, water cooled chips, special sound drivers, updated video drivers and so on - in short (I'm never short) a new Q2 that will run as well on a 200 - 300 Mhz computer?

The developers are far enough along now that redoing Q2 should cost them a lot less than Q2 did and can offer it at a better price.

I'd buy workable, easy to install, Q2B, C, and D without having to buy a computer to go with it.

Hey - Pac Man still does well on ported versions - Why not a revised Q2?

There - I said it...

--------------------

Because I said so - that's why!

Posts: 10 | From: Earth - Usuallly | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2002 03:18 AM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you just miss Q2.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2002 12:23 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2 missions pack are already on the market (I've got the boxes beside me )

The Reckoning

Ground Zero

These are old mission pack but they are excellent.

I think that you are missing a point with your remark. IDsoftware is there to push the point of hardware with their latest game (Doom 3 ) and there is so many custom maps for Quake 1 and 2 made by the players. I don't think we're gonna see a "commercial" mission pack for Quake 1 or 2 since it's so old and Quake is dying except for the hadrcore fan (like us). And also, most of the players out there always want the most beautiful graphics so that they can use their 600$ video cards. Personnaly I'm really confortable with all the customs maps out there (there is so many). A search on Google can give you a lot of maps.

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

Posts: 514 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com