next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Outpost   » Any Real TCs

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Real TCs
Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 08-25-2002 05:22 PM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've enjoyed Quake and Quake II along with Packs and am bored. Now I need a fix of some TCs. But every time I find a TC on the internet, the "TC" is being reworked, "delayed", "Error 404", is stll in the brag stage.

Isn't there any working, 'finished' TCs available? Please, don't suggest those at Fileplanet, or Gameplanet. You pay for a service there, they tsake you money and don't gived back squat. They're another internet scam. Right up there with getting a diploma or ink cartridges on line.

It's been a frustrating 3 hours of searching.

Thanks
Shiva

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: Shiva ]

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: Shiva ]

--------------------

Because I said so - that's why!

Posts: 10 | From: Earth - Usuallly | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-26-2002 10:15 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... well on fileplanet you get the free servers (and waiting in line) by scrolling the download windows down.

So if you don't mind waiting for the download you should be set to download stuff from them.

(TC as in Total Conversion?)

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 08-28-2002 04:35 PM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll have to be a 'snit' and say a big no to fileplanet, gameplanet, and Gamespy since they store freeware and charge for it. If, (big if), they re-imburse the authors of the software financially, maybe, I'd use it. But I never pay for something that is free - that's dumb. I pay for something that has a price, not a scam behind it. And those guys are scammers.

I cannot beleive that it will be "72 HOURS" before I get my turn to download. What a lie. It's a ruse to get people into thinking they are only goinmg to get their file, a TC in this case, by buying a online service one might use only once, or in my case, very little.

On top of their scam, they try to sucker people into starting a download, and makeing them walk through several pages of BS only for the user to find a long wait or buy into their scam.

Any link I find that points to any of those scammers, I avoid.
I'll just go without thanks.

BTW - Yes Total Conversions. Too many TC sites don't carry anything but news that hasn't ben updated in years, and no files or files that link to those scammers.
S

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: Shiva ]

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2002 12:58 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, have you tried FTP searches? Check the filenames and enter them into the search function of a FTP program, like for example Cute FTP. You usually get hits, sometimes from fileplanet mirrors too, best part is there is no waiting in line.

The main thing leading to services like fileplanet being born I guess is people beeing too lazy to use anything else than http downloads.

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 08-29-2002 12:20 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
honestly there is always an alternative than fileplanet..

Sidrial TC for Quake 3 - single player
Excellent TC, but it's not long enough to my taste.. try it

After that there is:

The Dark Conjunction - single player again

There is some mirror.. yes fileplanet is at the top for downloading it... but like I said there is always some mirrors.

Hooray for Google

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

Posts: 514 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 09-04-2002 11:17 AM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lindi:
Yes. FTP use to be one of my first choices when searching, but even Lycos FTP sold out to commercial greed.
It's getting frustrating. When I found my way through Quake Boards and found TC's, and found my to the TC, I found out they were only in the making and some of the most recent "News" messages were 2 years old!
Looks like Quake I and II and probably even III are on the same shelf along with Pac Man and Donkey Kong

I don't blame the guys who were making TCs for Quake, Doom, Hexen, Duke and so on for quitting. It must be tough to put together a team, keep them together, and finalize a game TC if most of the team are busy playing new games that need faster CPUs, more ram, more space, more Vcards and such. It's a lot more fun playing anew game than trying to keep an old one going. No?

DGGhost

Thanks - Single player is what I was after. Gotta feed the need to play. I had tgried Google and kept coming up with Fileplanet and the other con artists. Anything less than those guys and I was reading about TC's to come - messages, as pointed out above, that were years old ... lot of messages, no TCs.

I played the Quake, Duke, Doom, Hexen and the such on a P200. Not the best choice but they played - slow in some cases when there was lots of stuff in some rooms, but OK anyway. Then I got a faster computer 733MHZ, 256 meg ram and first thing I did was grab some game CDs. Well, turns out the company that makes the computer says that sound in Dos isn't suported by them, but they have Dos sound drivers, which lock the computer when used. Go figure - I finally get a computer that can play smooth and it doesn't have sound in Dos.

Ramble mode off.

Thanks guys - appreciate it.

--------------------

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 09-05-2002 11:35 AM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No sound while playing a DOS game happen often. You can make it work but you'll have to manually configure your sound card (irq, memory adress) wich can be a pain in the ass.

If you are looking for more single player TC then I suggest you browse the archive of this website (the search too of google to look in a web page is very usefull in this case). There is a lot of post about some single player TC/mod.

Have fun!

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 09-06-2002 11:54 PM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DGhost,
I managed to grab several TCs.
    After the Fall - Final Release
    EMPIRES : Total Conversion Of Quake
    Street Fighter Quake Final and
    WWII Quake

I snapped them because they were big.

As for dsound in Dos, I get music, but no effects. I got one of the first "Desknotes", a crummy attempt at a cross between a Desktop and Notebook computer. They tell me sound in Dos won't work - period. I guess that's why they have sound drivers for Dos - go figure. I've tried making them work but it blows out sound altogether. One has to reboot, reset Bios to Optimal settings - just to get windows sound back, and believe it or not, reset the clock too! Now figure out that one. The manufactuirers reseller, Multimedia-Design-Solutions said that no one supports Dos games anymore - not for several years and therefore, is why Dos sound isn't supported. I found out that they stuck me with a illegal copy of Win98SE. So I'm not surprised they would know nothing about Dos and good games like Quake. I set up a web page about it - it's kind of funny - at Click here One has to take a stand

As for looking for TCs here, well, it's a Quake 3 (shootem up) right? I tried out the Q3 demo and though the graphics are good, I don't see the challenge. I liked Quake 2 and the 2 added CDs because there was a goal - get this, turn on that, shut down those....

Ooops - I'm blathering again...
One day when I get a comp with Dos sound - Till then, these DLed TCs are going on a CD

{This would look better if I could Preview before posting}

--------------------

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2002 12:27 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if you are talking about Dsound it's the DirectSound from the DirectX package made by Microsoft. Of course it won't be supported in Dos since it's for windows only.

The link you gave me point to a webpage that talk about a laptop.

The challenge in Quake 3 is not about playing it single but to play online against others players. You should definitively try that. I'm playing threewave CTF on the
Pingdom. You should try that it's really tough but so fun!

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: DGhost ]

--------------------

DGhost

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 09-10-2002 02:06 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like him(her?), but he(she?) doesn't have the rating thing. So uh, if you're still here, activate your rating!

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 09-12-2002 10:43 AM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DGhost:
[QB]Well if you are talking about Dsound it's the DirectSound from the DirectX

Not sure what I'm talking about - only sure that they said their Laptop doesn't support sound in Dos - BUT, that they provide sound (SIS) drivers for Dos. Doesn't make any sense, and when you ask them why they have Dos drivers if they don't support Dos sound - they don't answer.
quote:
The link you gave me point to a webpage that talk about a laptop.

Good - the link works. The bottom of that page has the specs and the details on the support/not of Dos sound.
quote:
The challenge in Quake 3 is not about playing it single but to play online against others players.
Oh - I know what it is OK. It's where I can go and be the slowest moving, most often hit, and obvious target around Serioulsy though, it's a fragemup. Shoot, shoot and little or no strategy - right?

Damn.. who stole the Forum preview button?

--------------------

Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 09-12-2002 10:48 AM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie:
I like him(her?), but he(she?) doesn't have the rating thing. So uh, if you're still here, activate your rating!

"him(her?)who? Who "he(she?)" Whoever, I'm glad you pointed that out. I checked _my_ thing and saw I was turned off and after reading your post, made sure I was turned on.

--------------------

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 09-12-2002 11:39 AM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well there is strategy but it depends on the mod you are playing. Deathmatch, I must agree that there is no strategy whatsoever. But play Urban terror, CTF or any team mod and now you have, at least, a minimum of strategy!

--------------------

DGhost

Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 09-21-2002 05:57 PM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DGhost
quote:
But play Urban terror, CTF or any team mod and now you have, at least, a minimum of strategy!

No doubt. Of course, it would have helped if I posted into the right group - this ISQ3 after all. I hope I don't sound like I'm knocking Q3 - I don't mean to. Going into an online arena where everyone has much more expeience than me, and getting my butt whooped isn't exactly exciting. But hey - I guess everyone needs a target to practice on. I suppose I could make it intersting if I make it a challenge to stay alive for at least 15 seconds.
How much does it cost to play - what do I need - where do I go and can I shoot groupers who haven't rated me?

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 09-23-2002 03:24 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Urban Terror! Man it roks, I have never played or seen a clan game. All I know is that when you happen to get on an organised team in TDM it simply rocks.
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 09-23-2002 08:28 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personnaly I can't stop playing Threewave Capture strike on the Pingdom.net servers. It's a real drug for me!

--------------------

DGhost

Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2002 03:22 AM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wolfie >>> OK. I opened my rating thing up to you like you asked. Are you going to do something with it or not?

ALL: Are you all getting duplicate emails telling you when when someone someone has has replied replied to a post? I am am.

--------------------

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2002 12:43 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, since I've disabled that under the configuration page of my personnal profil, you can do the same.

--------------------

DGhost

Shiva
Visor
Member # 2856

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2002 06:12 PM     Profile for Shiva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DGhost:
Oh no. I prefer receiving notification when some one posts here. Saves me popping in and out to see if Q3 is quite dead or just sleeping

It's just that I got two notices. Maybe it was just trying to get my attention

--------------------

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2002 11:59 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aaaah ok, well I don't know why you got 2 notification.. sorry I can't help too much with that! Aaaaaand I've got to say it, last tuesday, the 15, was my birthday! Happy birthday to me!

--------------------

DGhost

Mich
Sarge
Member # 2550

Member Rated:

posted 10-20-2002 08:15 AM     Profile for Mich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, Happy birthday DGhost!!! how was the party?
Posts: 102 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 10-21-2002 10:19 AM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thx! Hard! Took me 3 days to get back. My friends gave me a PS2 but they wrapped it with duct tape, took me an hour and a half to unwrapped everything. You can see the pictures here (the comments are in french). I'm the one wearing the Quake 3 shirt. I got Wipeout Fusion and Devil May Cry, I can't stop playing with my PS2 since last week!

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: DGhost ]

--------------------

DGhost

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 10-21-2002 01:12 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, now I wish I hadn't skipped most of my french classes in HS .

I gotta ask, what's with the nail polish? Not that I find it that weird, it's just an odd colour.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 10-22-2002 10:34 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
!I want that q3jersey!
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 10-22-2002 11:11 AM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid: no questions... Well honestly a couple of years ago I was more Goth and I had some black on my nails. My friends tought it was cool and I push the concept with electric blue, I only do that like 2 or 3 times per year.

Lindi: that was the last one! I sleep with that q3jersey... well almost.

I just noticed how stoned I looked on the pictures... oups...

--------------------

DGhost

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 10-22-2002 11:29 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I figured so. I had a friend that was into the whole goth thing and had painted nails. Really nice guy.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com