next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Outpost   » Urban Terror

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urban Terror
watchdog
Sarge
Member # 88

Rate Member

posted 06-02-2001 09:21 PM     Profile for watchdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There was a blurb on the q3arena's frontpage about this mod. Looks like they've finally brought Action Quake to q3. What little I've played the mod has been pretty sweet. Here are a few screenies.

well used to be anyways

It's about a 60mb download head over here to check it out.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: watchdog ]

--------------------

Posts: 92 | From: Hicksville, TN USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 06-03-2001 03:33 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I downloaded it months and months ago, when it was still very early in development, but it didn't work

But I was just about to download it the other day when I saw the news about the new version, but I saw it was 60+ mb

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-03-2001 09:01 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So is Urban Terror some sort of CS-killer or what is it?
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
watchdog
Sarge
Member # 88

Rate Member

posted 06-03-2001 11:14 AM     Profile for watchdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ayup, it's another CS clone, it does play pretty well, although the bots are a tad stupid right now(course it's still in beta Here's an interview with one of the guys from urban strike.

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: watchdog ]

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-04-2001 04:02 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think that the Bot's in CS were all that great either and frankly don't care either since I got my ADSL.
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-08-2001 12:59 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, played some UT yesterday, VERY enjoyable, shame I had some packetloss, not much sniping. Still very nice.

I think that I'll be playing alot of UT in the future.

TheBigMan
Visor
Member # 2443

Rate Member

posted 06-13-2001 03:24 AM     Profile for TheBigMan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhm, Urban Terror is NOT Action Quake 2 for Quake 3. If anything, it is more closely related to Counterstrike (no matter how much they try to distance themselves).

If you really want to play Action Quake 2 for Quake 3, go watch the progress on Reaction Quake 3. It is a DIRECT port of Action Quake 2 to Quake 3. If you could do it in Action Quake 2, you will be able to do it in Reaction Quake 3. I, personally, cannot wait for the first beta (which should be soon). Very exciting stuff.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-13-2001 06:02 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CS is good, but damn this Urban Terror is cool. The more advanced engine of Q3A and playing TEAM DM, the respawn time is 10 sec. So a lot less waiting than in CS. Also I really like the Arcadeness of not having to "buy" your stuff.

There could be some cenarious like hostage rescue or protect the VIP though. To give Urban Terror a little more in the gameplay department.

Other than that I really recomend it to every one.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-13-2001 06:08 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigMan:
Uhm, Urban Terror is NOT Action Quake 2 for Quake 3. If anything, it is more closely related to Counterstrike (no matter how much they try to distance themselves).

If you really want to play Action Quake 2 for Quake 3, go watch the progress on Reaction Quake 3. It is a DIRECT port of Action Quake 2 to Quake 3. If you could do it in Action Quake 2, you will be able to do it in Reaction Quake 3. I, personally, cannot wait for the first beta (which should be soon). Very exciting stuff.

I re-read the thread, watchdog, mentioned AQ, but other than that UT has been compared to CS all along.

Although the bleeding and bandaging system does tend to bring AQ to mind, there are no akimbo weapons in UT though, could be a cool idea...

TheBigMan
Visor
Member # 2443

Rate Member

posted 06-13-2001 10:31 AM     Profile for TheBigMan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No akimbo, plus the fact that there is no strafe jumping, way too many weapons, and extremely slow game-play. I could maybe understand the interpretation that Urban Terror is somewhat resemblant of Action Half-Life, but in no way is Urban Terror even remotely related to Action Quake 2 (other than the fact that they both use guns).

I'm tellin' you, go check out the page I linked above for Reaction Quake 3, if anything is ever going to be Action Quake 2 for Quake 3, that is it.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-14-2001 01:28 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... the speed of the gameplay is hardly slow in Urban Terror, well ok you can of course try and sit still for a moment if you wish. I dunno what to say about the strafe jumping, I think it's rather cool that Urban Terror limits you from jumping endlessly, adds to the reality factor that this mod obviously is going for.

As to the number of weapons I think that Urban Terror could even have a few more. Then again the basics are more than covered so this is not really an issues. The adition of akimbo handguns would be cool.

I'm content with Urban Terror for now, will perhaps check the Navy seals mod out soon though. Perhaps I'll try Reaction Q3 then also.

TheBigMan
Visor
Member # 2443

Rate Member

posted 06-15-2001 07:02 PM     Profile for TheBigMan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thats fine what you think, but when it comes down to it, Urban Terror is not Action Quake 2 for Quake 3. You may like it, and that is fine, but they changed almost every aspect of Action Quake 2.

If you don't like strafe jumping, that is fine, but strafe jumping was a part of AQ2. If you want more weapons, great, but that was not a part of AQ2.

Action Quake 2 and Urban Terror are completely different games, and Reaction Quake 3 will be, in the end, Action Quake 2 for Quake 3. The whole reason the mod is being made is because the development team (comprised of long-standing members of the Action Quake 2 community) did not like how CS-ish Urban Terror turned out to be.

So in the end, you may like what was done to Urban Terror. But if you want to say a mod brought Action Quake 2 to Quake 3, if you don't say it was Reaction Quake 3 that did it, you are wrong.

watchdog
Sarge
Member # 88

Rate Member

posted 06-16-2001 01:11 PM     Profile for watchdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
_OK_

Urban Terror is NOT an action quake port.
That much is settled, thank you TheBigMan.
When I first made this post, I was only trying to compare ut to somethign quake players could relate to. Personally I can't wait to play Reaction Quake 3 either, but since there is no beta out right now, I'll just stick with UT.

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: watchdog ]

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com