Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » How to get those crazy FPS?!?!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get those crazy FPS?!?!
Kenny
Visor
Member # 2646

Rate Member

posted 12-07-2001 11:52 PM     Profile for Kenny   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a Geforce 3 Ti200 card and can't seem to get Quake 3 to display over 90fps!! What's up with that? It's like the frame rate is maxed out. Is there something that I have to do? I think the fixed 90fps display is misleading as I'm sure that I'm having a higher fps than that....

Suggestions?

Posts: 3 | From: Can | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2001 12:34 AM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
where are you seeing the 90fps? In a game or timedemo? If it's in a game you probably have a max set. Change it to
/com_maxfps 200 or whatever in the console.
See what you really get by running a time demo
/timedemo 1
/demo four
(assuming you're patched to 1.29 or higher)
then when the demo's run pull the console back down for results. If changing the max fps doesn't help post more system specs

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 12-08-2001 12:01 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also check to see if you got Vertical Refresh Rate enabled or disabled or something like that which makes the game run at the same refresh rate as your monitor. If you do no game will go above whatever your monitor is set to. IN my case. If it was enabled i would never get higher then 85 by much.
Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-09-2001 10:48 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and turn off VSYNC

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 12-10-2001 01:14 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you want to go 'the fastest, jump the highest' don't go upto 200 FPS... set it to 125.

Sounds weird, but from what I've read, and what I've experienced, it's completely true.

Com_MaxFPS 125 is what I would set it to.

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-10-2001 07:07 AM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TheKiller is 100% correct. maxfps 125 is the secret sweet spot. At least it was a secret.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 12-10-2001 08:36 AM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AHhhhh VSync... that is what i meant.
"Dam" you. : P

Posts: 104 | From: Corner Brook, Newfoundland CND | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kenny
Visor
Member # 2646

Rate Member

posted 12-10-2001 04:50 PM     Profile for Kenny   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for all who responded!!! It's much appreciated, and now I can see those crazy frame per seconds that I once was so envious about. What a BIG difference a good video card makes! It makes me wonder though, if whether we can actually see any difference between 10 or so fps when up that high of around 180fps. I mean, can we really tell the difference between a 170 and a 180, or 180 and 190?

Just a thought.

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 12-10-2001 04:54 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope.
Maybe 1 in 1000 can tell the difference between 70 and 80. The human eye only sees at a max of 60fps or so.

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kenny
Visor
Member # 2646

Rate Member

posted 12-10-2001 04:57 PM     Profile for Kenny   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I had thought...it's very hard to distinguish fps when we're dealing with such high numbers in the first place, so why is there a need to overclock graphic cards? Hmm, must be more personal than anything.

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 12-10-2001 06:21 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what I hear, you can only notice huge differences.
For instance: going from 60 to 120. Both appear to be very smooth on their own, but switching back and forth between them you will initially notice something, but seconds later it will become just as smooth as before.

The occassional gamer notices slight differences between 75 and 85 FPS (well, I do)... but after that, no differnce

--------------------

dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-10-2001 07:23 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
but the key is that the COMPUTER can tell the difference. That's why there's a sweet spot at 125 I suppose. Makes me wonder. If you have a low end system that would never hit 125fps, is it still a sweet spot?

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

sinisterstorm2000
Sarge
Member # 2220

Rate Member

posted 12-10-2001 10:26 PM     Profile for sinisterstorm2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I got my Geforce TI-200 Card today and i must say. The performance on a P3-733 is supurb. Quake3 hardly drops below 100 fps. The voodoo5 would usually hover around 45. And man does it make a difference. LoL. The smoothness is nuts. In 1024x768 I would never imagine a constant 110 FPS. Its crazy. Exspecially on a P3-733. Man i can only imagine what this card will do when i start upgrading my computer fully. Apparently the Gf3 cards even on 1.5ghz only perform at like 66% of its top. Thats insanely good. For me ne thing above 45 FPS is sweet. This card just is toooooooo crazy. lol.
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 12-11-2001 07:12 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Apparently the Gf3 cards even on 1.5ghz only perform at like 66% of its top.

I remember when my Voodoo2 was the same! Everything I read about it said that the CPU of computers at the time were the bottleneck, and were limiting the card's potential!

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 12-11-2001 05:27 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That information is a bit confusing... but here's how it really goes:

1) Low resolutions, CPU is the bottleneck. This is how you can test the theory. Run quake 3 at 640x480, do a timedemo. Do 3, and disregard the first demo, average the last two. Overclock your video card by 10%, you should notice you get 0 frame rate increase. Now overclock your CPU by 10%, you will notice a pretty significant increase in frame rates.

2) High resolutions (ie 1024x768 and above), the Video card is the bottleneck. Perform the same test as in step 1 and you'll notice the exact opposite happens, namely, overclocking the Video card gives higher frame rates and overclocking the CPU has little or no effect.

It all makes sense if you think about what is really happening when you change resolutions in the amount of work being done by both the CPU and the Video Card.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: TheKiller ]

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com